Extra Door Seal/buffers

Sorry to dig this one up again but who supplies the best fitting version of these seals ?
Hi @DCC
I fitted these.
Excellent quality, really pleased with them. They take a few weeks to ‘bed in’ by compressing slightly.
Research back through this thread re problems siting them though.
Best to fit exactly as genuine ones are on Californias etc.
Cheers, Andy

Reactions: DCC
Mine are still a problem. Tempted to remove them.

"Sounds like a Golf"? Sounds more like a guy slamming the door twice morning and evening in our street.

It's all about air pressure. If there's any door or window open, it shuts first time. Perhaps with a pop top there's more scope for pressure relief? Does the canvas bulge enough even when down to allow the pressure to be momentarily relieved?

I read somewhere you can drill some holes into the seal at the bottom to make it compress easier.

I bought mine from vanstyle on eBay and it doesn’t seem too bad, only occasionally need to close it twice

Just thought I’d add my experience with this Incase it can help anyone.

Brand new 22 plate van, put the transporter HQ seals on.

Absolute nightmare for the drivers door, having to slam it most times doing my nut in. They have been on about a month so plenty time to “bed in” I’d say.

100% correctly fitted before anyone jumps in.

However, I have sound insulated the two front doors today with 2mm silent coat on the outer and inner skins. Adding a fair bit of weight to the door. This added weight seems to have massively improved the problem, the added weight behind the door when shutting it seems to be helping massively.

Hopefully helpful for people as a potential fix

0E85AA0D-0684-46C6-93D0-E679AC3AD17A.jpeg

585A16BA-2884-4A6C-99B9-5454EEB3BDC3.jpeg

Just thought I’d add my experience with this Incase it can help anyone.

Brand new 22 plate van, put the transporter HQ seals on.

Absolute nightmare for the drivers door, having to slam it most times doing my nut in. They have been on about a month so plenty time to “bed in” I’d say.

However, I have sound insulated the two front doors today with 2mm silent coat on the outer and inner skins. Adding a fair bit of weight to the door. This added weight seems to have massively improved the problem, the added weight behind the door when shutting it seems to be helping massively.

Hopefully helpful for people as a potential fix

View attachment 159966

View attachment 159967
Serious question mate......what makes you think you've fitted them "100% correctly"? Is that definitely how they fit them now?

Transporter hq instructions, YouTube videos and any other source I’ve found all fit them the same way. Along with all the posts on this thread. By all means enlighten me if you think they are wrong.

It just seems to be a subject that causes some major issues for such a (seemingly) minor upgrade. Adding weight to your doors seems like a lot of trouble to go to cure it......but if it's worked for you, bingo......sorted.

sound deadening was going in anyway so no dramas. It just happened to help with the seal issue as a bonus.

A variable that might account for people having issues rather than incorrect fitting so thought I’d share.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I got these.......just that slightly smaller and no slamming needed at all. I changed mine as i was fed up of having to close the door harder than i was comfortable with.

I have spent many hours reading various threads etc regarding this issue.
My feeling on 100% correct fitting would be to follow the exact same route as on those Transporters which have extra door seals fitted from new by VW. If you look at a California, as I did and posted earlier in this thread, you will note, as opposed to much online debate, that the extra seal dries not ‘kick up’ at the bottom front of the door.
Others have followed the route shown in your pics and subsequently complained of rainwater being held in by the seal and sloshing out upon opening the doors.
Also shown on my post is an extra vent on the lower rear of the California’s driver’s door. I believe this is an addition to release the positive increase in air pressure built up between the outer and inner seals on closing the door.
I hope this and my previous posts on this issue may be of help to at least some fellow T6ers.
I am pleased that the extra weight in the door has partially alleviated your issue though.

My feeling on 100% correct fitting would be to follow the exact same route as on those Transporters which have extra door seals fitted from new by VW. If you look at a California, as I did and posted earlier in this thread, you will note, as opposed to much online debate, that the extra seal dries not ‘kick up’ at the bottom front of the door.
Others have followed the route shown in your pics and subsequently complained of rainwater being held in by the seal and sloshing out upon opening the doors.
Also shown on my post is an extra vent on the lower rear of the California’s driver’s door. I believe this is an addition to release the positive increase in air pressure built up between the outer and inner seals on closing the door.
I hope this and my previous posts on this issue may be of help to at least some fellow T6ers.
I am pleased that the extra weight in the door has partially alleviated your issue though.
Thanks for the info, I did actually have the seal straight along as you mention, only just moved it the other week as a test as a fellow t6.1 owner/customer had his kicking up and had no issues. I will move it back actually now and see if all is still ok :)

Thanks for the info, I did actually have the seal straight along as you mention, only just moved it the other week as a test as a fellow t6.1 owner/customer had his kicking up and had no issues. I will move it back actually now and see if all is still ok :)
Maybe ‘kicking up’ the seal works as an alternative to the added air vent, in reducing the positive air pressure build up?
I didn’t actually get round to fitting the additional vent I purchased, as my seals seemed to ‘bed in’ after a few months, before I got round to fitting it.
I still occasionally forget to use the very slight extra force needed for my driver’s door to close properly without the MFD telling me it’s still open.
It appears to be somewhat of a lottery which seals work, as none are genuine VW. Those are fitted using moulded dimples which push into matching holes in the doors, which also have the hole pressed out for the air vent.
It’s a minefield of misinformation and guesswork, along with more than a few other VW Transporter niggles;
Hence the T6 Forum…

Mate..........praise the lord!! I think I first mentioned this back in 2016!! But when someone says I'm "100% correct", I take a certain view. The only thing I'm "100% correct" about is that I'm never, ever "100% correct"! Anyhow, I've done it on my T5 and then my T6.........and I did it the same way as VW did it and never had a problem. I can't understand why this is such an issue and I've been saying it for years.....literally! Well done for getting the point across! :thumbsup:

Maybe ‘kicking up’ the seal works as an alternative to the added air vent, in reducing the positive air pressure build up?
I didn’t actually get round to fitting the additional vent I purchased, as my seals seemed to ‘bed in’ after a few months, before I got round to fitting it.
I still occasionally forget to use the very slight extra force needed for my driver’s door to close properly without the MFD telling me it’s still open.
It appears to be somewhat of a lottery which seals work, as none are genuine VW. Those are fitted using moulded dimples which push into matching holes in the doors, which also have the hole pressed out for the air vent.
It’s a minefield of misinformation and guesswork, along with more than a few other VW Transporter niggles;
Hence the T6 Forum…
Good point. I’ll see if I notice a difference when I put it back

It certainly is an issue for a lot of people, nice to get some constructive feedback as one person having no problem doesn’t mean it’s not going to cause an issue for others.

I’ve read somewhere that putting a few holes in the bottom of the seal would help,

Funny enough when washing my m3 yesterday I saw that there were a few round holes in the door seal there too.

I’ve read somewhere that putting a few holes in the bottom of the seal would help,

Funny enough when washing my m3 yesterday I saw that there were a few round holes in the door seal there too.

, what he said, put a few pin holes in it, even on the vertical sections

Just fitted them, passenger door sounds the same but was always a good thunk anyway, drivers door was a bit tinny but now sounds like a Golf :)

Hi All,

The one thing about my van that is bugging me is that I thought it was coming with the extra door seal installed (a whopping £20 option, makes you wonder why it's not standard?!) but it didn't. I was just wondering if anyone has used anything else as an after-market measure to improve "tinny" sound of door closing without this option?

Thanks.
Hi, yes I bought the additional door rubbers, the passenger door is fine but the driver's door side required a proper slam to close the darn thing, which clearly isn't ideal for all sorts of reasons.

I spent a long time trying to re-position this rubber but it didn't make any difference.

I'm worried that I might die of old age before finding a satisfactory explanation to this, and boy I have tried.

Firstly, make sure you buy the 3M rubbers (or rather the sticky tape is by 3M) as the cheap stuff is S***.

Secondly, get someone else to install them, that way you can grief them when it does what mine did :)

I'm going to wait until I'm really bored before attempting the driver side again...

Hope this helps!

Back