Extra Door Seal/buffers

Hi, I also fitted some extra door seals yesterday from THQ to my 19 plate T6.
I fitted them just like the pictures in Noddy996 post above, passengers door is perfect, drivers door needs a good slam or else it just bounces back at me.

Yes, miles better moved in an inch or so...

I didn't take a picture, so have modified noddys from above with a red line where it worked for me... Still seals well against the body there too.

door seal re-position.jpg

If you want to keep it to the outer edge, you'll need smaller diameter tubing

Here is a close-up of OEM factory installed seal (right door, top corner). Seems to have thinner walls than aftermarket ones. Interestingly it's also asymmetrical - thicker wall "inside".
Door_seal_edit_1b.JPG

Someone posted today on the facebook forum there THQ seals where having the same problem as mine and a few others in this thread. The general consensus on that post was you had to either pierce holes or slice into the rubber seal along the bottom of the door to let air release from the seals as this is preventing the door from shutting.Can't try this on mine as the tape is shot

I’ve started experimenting with the excess and I’ve put it in the mid point (directly below the rubber stopper at the top of the door) most of the way down the door and it seems ok so it may be the bottom of the door that’s the issue. I haven’t been able to play much as the drivers door is right up against the neighbours flower bed.
The smaller seal I bought from fleabay is ok but on its own it still doesn’t sound as good as the passenger side.

Luckily I get in and out the passenger driver to avoid the flower bed so might just dukes of hazard the drivers side :)

Got the THQ kit. Used the under the bung position.
Can’t recall if I did upturn probably did. Shuts fine.

Will do a shut video in the morning to show how much/little force is req along with pass side.

Tried mine a few more mm inboard and it did help very very slightly, but door still bounces back and sits out slightly. Prob need to try it a good inch further in then.
Probably too late tho, I ripped it off in Morrisons car park on Saturday evening and it's still in the footwell.

I’ve started experimenting with the excess and I’ve put it in the mid point (directly below the rubber stopper at the top of the door) most of the way down the door and it seems ok so it may be the bottom of the door that’s the issue. I haven’t been able to play much as the drivers door is right up against the neighbours flower bed.
The smaller seal I bought from fleabay is ok but on its own it still doesn’t sound as good as the passenger side.

Luckily I get in and out the passenger driver to avoid the flower bed so might just dukes of hazard the drivers side :)
I think the flea bay ones have reduced road noise a bit on mine but doesnt sound like a golf by any means. Might by some more 3m tape for my THQ seals and try cutting air vents in

Tried mine a few more mm inboard and it did help very very slightly, but door still bounces back and sits out slightly. Prob need to try it a good inch further in then.
Probably too late tho, I ripped it off in Morrisons car park on Saturday evening and it's still in the footwell.
I tried this already and you can close the door ok but it doesn’t help the sound so a bit pointless.

I'll try and get some photos and test the effect of adding the THQ seal in sections to see where the issue is. But I reckon the reply above is going to be correct and the issue is at the bottom.

The problem with doing this now in lockdown is that everyone is home and it’s a bit antisocial to keep slamming the doors. I’d given up on this TBH but I’ll see if I can put the offcuts to good use and report back (when I next get an excuse to move the van)

Not just me then , I’ve fitted some to my MY16 T6 perfect firs time , put it in exactly the same position on the T6.1 drivers door is a pain in the b#m , but passenger door is fine , I think I’ll try to move it further inside the door on the drivers side and see how I get on , whilst it is annoying it is a much better shut when it closes so worth playing about with

Here is a close-up of OEM factory installed seal (right door, top corner). Seems to have thinner walls than aftermarket ones. Interestingly it's also asymmetrical - thicker wall "inside".
View attachment 66283
I have just bought the travelin lite seals as I noticed they had the same shape as this. Haven’t had a chance to fit yeah but will report back.
Interestingly, on the site they show the seals in different positions in each photo on the ad

Reactions: mmi
I have just bought the travelin lite seals as I noticed they had the same shape as this. Haven’t had a chance to fit yeah but will report back.
Interestingly, on the site they show the seals in different positions in each photo on the ad
Fitted mine a few wks ago.... wow just wow night and day from how it was!
It does close like a golf and gone is that horrid tinny twang !
Best £15 mod there is I’d say

Fitted mine a few wks ago.... wow just wow night and day from how it was!
It does close like a golf and gone is that horrid tinny twang !
Best £15 mod there is I’d say
So far I have tried:
eBay seals ~£12
THQ seals ~£18
Smaller eBay seal ~£12
And now TL seal ~£17

Passenger side cost £6 (still got the original eBay seal) and sounds great. Drivers side has now cost £53 and either sounds rubbish or won’t close without slamming! Fingers crossed the TL work ok!

Back