Extra Door Seal/buffers

I'm guessing the THQ seals are slightly to thick to go rounnd the outside as everyone else has done.

Im probably going to have to order more now anyway as i took the seal off that many times to get a good fit the 3m tape has probably lost all its power

Yeah I had the same thing, you could try the stuff from eBay. I can upload a video tomorrow if that would help make up your mind?

I’m just sitting here wondering whether I could use a few small strips of the large seal in addition to the smaller stuff to improve the sound without stopping it closing but need to work out where to put them so it will have the desired effect without looking crappy!

Yeah I had the same thing, you could try the stuff from eBay. I can upload a video tomorrow if that would help make up your mind?

I’m just sitting here wondering whether I could use a few small strips of the large seal in addition to the smaller stuff to improve the sound without stopping it closing but need to work out where to put them so it will have the desired effect without looking crappy!

I'll look at the Ebay seals and prob give them a bash

They don’t fit on the drivers on my van. People have said they loosen up after time and get better but I tried it in all the positions suggested and I had to slam the door so hard I can’t believe it would ever improve enough. I have fitted a smaller seal and it fits, the passenger side still sounds better though. I can’t tell you why this was such a problem, I have a MY19 van, could that make a difference? I don’t know and TBH I’m confused by the whole thing myself!

IMG_20200414_171723.jpgIMG_20200414_171711.jpg

Well I decided to fit my THQ seals yesterday. Ran them as per the pics above which I believe is the caravelle position? It's same as the thq pics too.
Anyway the passenger closes with a really nice solid sound. Unfortunately the drivers door bounces unless slammed really hard as per the other experiences above.
I'll leave it for a few days to see if it beds in.

View attachment 66060View attachment 66061

Well I decided to fit my THQ seals yesterday. Ran them as per the pics above which I believe is the caravelle position? It's same as the thq pics too.
Anyway the passenger closes with a really nice solid sound. Unfortunately the drivers door bounces unless slammed really hard as per the other experiences above.
I'll leave it for a few days to see if it beds in.

Yep exactly same as how i fitted, i think the THQ are just too thick, i had to slam the door to shut and even then it wasnt a very good seal, heard so much road noise when driving. I've switched to the e bay seals from a few posts above.

Also e mailed chris @ THQ to explain what had happend but no reply unfortunately

Yep exactly same as how i fitted, i think the THQ are just too thick, i had to slam the door to shut and even then it wasnt a very good seal, heard so much road noise when driving. I've switched to the e bay seals from a few posts above.

Also e mailed chris @ THQ to explain what had happend but no reply unfortunately

Yours didn't bed in at all then?
I wonder if it's critical how far inboard towards the radius on that part of the door they are fitted and that's where it is getting trapped rather than compressed a bit.
i.e if it's moved a couple of mm outboard/to the right (as you look at the seal) it may alleviate it. Not had a chance to have a proper look after fitting yesterday.

So has anyone fitted the thq ones and had no issues at all?

Yours didn't bed in at all then?
I wonder if it's critical how far inboard towards the radius on that part of the door they are fitted and that's where it is getting trapped rather than compressed a bit.
i.e if it's moved a couple of mm outboard/to the right (as you look at the seal) it may alleviate it. Not had a chance to have a proper look after fitting yesterday.

So has anyone fitted the thq ones and had no issues at all?

I took them off after a day as the amount of force required to shut them was ridiculous. I did try and fit them the way that travelinlite suggest (photos earlier on in this thread) but the 3m tape had lost all its strength at that point. 20 odd quid down the drain :(

The same here :( passenger door perfect, drivers door needs slamming. I thought it was the way I fitted it. I have now removed the drivers door seal, and to be fair its not really a problem to me. So might just leave it without.

was gonna fit mine today (THQ) though having read all this i might leave it and enjoy my day instead! :laugh:

Got mine from THQ about 18 months ago, and fitted them as in the pictures on their product page. Perfect from the outset, and both sides shut the same ie much nicer and quieter. It is a MY17 van.

I did run it straight along the bottom of the doors, with no upturn on the hinge side (some seem to do an upturn) - don’t know if that makes any difference!

B089E2C3-301A-4C8C-B92F-300D1E739FF5.jpeg

56BD7D80-8D86-48DA-B3C6-B45BE64C4B1F.jpeg

I had mine this way but the drivers door needed a real slam to shut and 7 weeks later still hadn't bedded in...

So i removed the seal and placed it one inch further in. Running from just below the black rubber bump stop at the top of the door.

I wetted the seal and shut the door to see where on the body it was lining up.. The impression it left on the body showed it was still in a good position to provide that extra seal and shuts much better now without the slam.

Still sounds like a golf too..!

I had mine this way but the drivers door needed a real slam to shut and 7 weeks later still hadn't bedded in...

So i removed the seal and placed it one inch further in. Running from just below the black rubber bump stop at the top of the door.

I wetted the seal and shut the door to see where on the body it was lining up.. The impression it left on the body showed it was still in a good position to provide that extra seal and shuts much better now without the slam.

Still sounds like a golf too..!
I tried it there and it still needed a slam. The only place it fitted was right up against the bulge in the door near the door card (I think the travellin lite position) but there I didn’t get any improvement in sound (sounded like a van not golf!).

It’s interesting that it fitted there for you but not in the first position though. I’m starting to worry that my doors are from a transit or something !

Back