Extra Door Seal/buffers

Ok, many thanks for going to the effort, great photos.

So this is exactly where mine are now apart from I have mine following the crease up by the wheel arch. I’m pretty sure the issue is at the other side of the door but I’ll try moving (or maybe just removing) the seal where it kicks up and see if that helps

cheers
Don't forget @cgtmiles....the size of the seal is crucial. This is exactly what I used......16mm x 15mm Self Adhesive Neoprene 'Eared' Rubber 'D' Section Per Metre from Car Builder

This is one of those minor modifications that seems to be causing no end of confusion with all sorts of weird and wonderful ways of placing it.....I've said it before (several times), if you place it the same as a caravelle and it's the right profile....job done! I've used this on two vans....it's been on this van 3 years.....no problems at all......it's never come unstuck and I've never had to slam the doors.....I just don't understand some of the misleading "guidance" on here. Some people seem to be going bl**dy mad with this stuff! I Can't blame you for being confused.......I Hope that clears it up mate? :thumbsup:

FWIW I did this very recently with a length of seal from X8R. I installed it as per the diagrams above by cgtmiles. I was a little unsure initially but from memory the drivers door seal follows a distinct groove around the door and I cut the forward end just shy of the existing seal. The passenger door is a little trickier as the bottom aft corner has no obvious position so a smooth radius needs to be created to join the aft and lower edges cleanly.
Just my observations, if they count. I didn't feel that it was particularly quieter but it was certainly a more solid thump on closing. The kit I bought also came with a dash seal which does a good job of filling the gap by the windscreen and was a doddle to fit.

FWIW I did this very recently with a length of seal from X8R. I installed it as per the diagrams above by cgtmiles. I was a little unsure initially but from memory the drivers door seal follows a distinct groove around the door and I cut the forward end just shy of the existing seal. The passenger door is a little trickier as the bottom aft corner has no obvious position so a smooth radius needs to be created to join the aft and lower edges cleanly.
Just my observations, if they count. I didn't feel that it was particularly quieter but it was certainly a more solid thump on closing. The kit I bought also came with a dash seal which does a good job of filling the gap by the windscreen and was a doddle to fit.
So you mean you put it over the top of the rubber bung at the top of the door? Like so:
43DA7400-80AD-4C89-90EC-037D3A45D93D.jpeg

So you mean you put it over the top of the rubber bung at the top of the door? Like so:
View attachment 64535

No, I cut it short as the bung is obviously designed to stop the door touching the B pillar, I assumed that adding another layer of (soft) rubber to the bung would be a bad thing and a 10mm shorter sealing rubber wouldn't make any difference.

View attachment 64535
Look at mopardave's images above. The seal should follow the groove at the back of the door, behind the bung.

Edit - This does appear to contradict the fitting instructions.... I fitted mine in the groove behind the bung and also flared it up at the front as per JonB's post on page 8.

Both doors shut fine.

Last edited:
Look at mopardave's images above. The seal should follow the groove at the back of the door, behind the bung.

Edit - This does appear to contradict the fitting instructions.... I fitted mine in the groove behind the bung and also flared it up at the front as per JonB's post on page 8.

Both doors shut fine.
This is how mine is now and I have to slam the door. I will try to move the piece by the wheel arch first so it goes straight along the bottom and if this doesn’t work I will try it aligned directly below the bung/stop rubber.

Ok, it doesn’t make a difference where I put if unless I move it all the way in towards the centre of the door (as per the travelling lite photo above) and in that position it doesn’t do anything.

I have measured the sealE075D68E-2710-4D28-A36E-30AD868C1A30.jpeg
1973FE63-9E5A-48BC-8B6F-4371DF2B6218.jpeg
As you can see from the second picture this appears over size (advertised as 15mm tall) and this has been installed on the van for a few days too.

I’m not sure why I am having such an issue with this when pretty much everyone else doesn’t! I have now tried 2 different suppliers and every position under the sun. I think I’m about to give up! But I do have one doors worth left of this stuff from THQ so I should try one more time and the passenger door does sound great. So any suggestions for the final position?

Not sure why the top 2 are not the right way up??

as you will see I put the seal as close to the bottom hinge as possible

Dimensions of the seal I used ( the one in my previous post)

54674DD2-A3F1-45F0-B8DA-1787F8D0D5C8.jpeg 619D9245-A859-4AE5-AB27-DA1E01EF2D31.jpeg

By the time I’m done I’m going to have expensive sounding doors that were actually more expensive than they sound!

Now bought on eBay (16mm) and put it here:
View attachment 64133
I couldn’t close the door without slamming so moved it here:
View attachment 64137
It didn’t stick great as I had moved it and it didn’t sound anywhere as near as good as the passenger door so I bought the Transporter HQ seal (15mm) and reading threads on here was convinced that after a while it will “bed in” so fitted it back in the first position. Still can’t close the door without slamming. Not sure if I should leave it there or move it straight to the position I’ve seen on this thread:

View attachment 64135
Any recommendations?
It seems the eBay and transporter HQ showing it in the first position, travellin lite shows it in the second position and nowhere shows it in the third position.

Any ideas?

There is also comments on here about the Caravelle factory fit position but not sure which of these positions that is.

View attachment 64136
I've just fitted my THQ seals and had the exact same issue as you, passenger fits fine but had to fit drivers side as per travelinlite photo.

I am sorry but in a way I am glad to hear this!;) Do you notice an improvement in sound in that position? It seemed to me that it did no good and was definitely not as good as the passenger side

I got the new smaller one through from eBay today and fitted it in the Caravelle or THQ position and it closes without needing to slam, still not sure if it has the same benefit as the passenger.

4M Car Large/ small D-Type Rubber Door Seal Weatherstrip Sealing Strip Truck UK | eBay

Anyway, the saga is over now and I’m done with this.

My passenger door is certainly tighter but I'd expect that with less use.

I am sorry but in a way I am glad to hear this!;) Do you notice an improvement in sound in that position? It seemed to me that it did no good and was definitely not as good as the passenger side

I got the new smaller one through from eBay today and fitted it in the Caravelle or THQ position and it closes without needing to slam, still not sure if it has the same benefit as the passenger.

4M Car Large/ small D-Type Rubber Door Seal Weatherstrip Sealing Strip Truck UK | eBay

Anyway, the saga is over now and I’m done with this.

It does sound better than normal and is noticeably less rattly when closing the door but perhaps not as good as passenger side

Back