Extra Door Seal/buffers

To be fair to Breeze, in my case at least, they asked me to triple check that the quote was correct and I didn't notice those options were missing amongst all the others that were correctly on it.

And I did change my mind on the spec at least 20 times, at one point I scrubbed the whole order and very nearly put a deposit down on a California, then I saw sense. :laugh:
We looked at Calis before we bought our van (a Cali would have worked out cheaper in the long run) but I couldn’t like the Cali, as much as I tried. The door is on the wrong side, it’s very plasticky inside, it’s SWB, it just wasn’t for us. So we went down the conversion route & no regrets so far.

Those were two of my reasons, no lwb, suicide door and when you add a few toys to it they become nearly £70k :laugh:

To be fair to Breeze, in my case at least, they asked me to triple check that the quote was correct and I didn't notice those options were missing amongst all the others that were correctly on it.

And I did change my mind on the spec at least 20 times, at one point I scrubbed the whole order and very nearly put a deposit down on a California, then I saw sense. :laugh:
A perfect customer then!!

OK I must be doing something wrong. I cleaned the area first with a multi-purpose cleaning wipe but the seal just won't stick. Starting at the to of the passenger door as soon as I'm 30cm down the door the top is already peeling off. I try continuing but the S-bend forces the seal away from the door every time I try and go past it. I've thrown my toys out of the pram and gone indoors for a big baby sulk. Could it be the heat? Poor preparation of the surface? I'm guessing I've ruined that seal now, can it be rescued with another glue? I might try the drivers door tonight when its cooler if I calm down.

the surface needs to be free of any dust/dirt/polish etc and they should stick fine although never tried fitting them in this current temperature, try the other door when it’s cooled down a bit and let me know how you get on, I have a few half lengths/offcuts so we can figure something out

the surface needs to be free of any dust/dirt/polish etc and they should stick fine although never tried fitting them in this current temperature, try the other door when it’s cooled down a bit and let me know how you get on, I have a few half lengths/offcuts so we can figure something out

Cheers Paul, I'll let you know how I get on

Hi All,

The one thing about my van that is bugging me is that I thought it was coming with the extra door seal installed (a whopping £20 option, makes you wonder why it's not standard?!) but it didn't. I was just wondering if anyone has used anything else as an after-market measure to improve "tinny" sound of door closing without this option?

Thanks.
hi have u got a link for mr resk im after some of his door seals cheers

I’ve fitted an extra door seal this evening and now I’m finding it difficult to close the door. I mean I have to proper slam it multiple times to get it to close and that’s with some other doors open too.
Will the seals bed in/ form to the correct shape over time?
I can not tell the difference in door closing sound at the moment due to slamming it. I’ve left the other side off so I could compare the difference, only difference is that door is super easy to close.

Give it a day or two and it should ease but will take a little more to close it as you are pressing the additional seal all the way around

I’ve fitted an extra door seal this evening and now I’m finding it difficult to close the door. I mean I have to proper slam it multiple times to get it to close and that’s with some other doors open too.
I can not tell the difference in door closing sound at the moment due to slamming it. I’ve left the other side off so I could compare the difference, only difference is that door is super easy to close.
@JonB.....I'm gonna stick my neck out here, but if you're having to slam it, that surely isn't right. I don't even want to ask this but here goes.....are you sure they're in the right place? I've never had any bother with mine....always closed a treat. Mine might be a little smaller though....they're 15mmx16mm. I photographed a caravelle before I did mine so they'd be in the same place VW put 'em. There's always the possibility mine are too small but they still sound a million times better than they did!! Hmmmmm…..I hope they settle down?

Might be worth posting a picture of your fitment.

Pete

I followed the pictures within this thread but I’ll get some photos of it tomorrow to double check I did put it in the correct place.

Here is some photos of where I’ve put the extra seal. I’ve done the same positioning on the passenger door and that one is lovely. Just this drivers door not wanting to close easily

67CE60AC-5F5E-42B7-92AF-08EC72EBA111.jpeg

DF3BD16F-C62B-4BD7-8984-1FBC29B8132E.jpeg

90D35A76-0A6C-40DA-BF3B-ED699988323D.jpeg

A289DC5C-44CF-4C0B-8E55-0CC21BCDC483.jpeg

864D28D7-FF54-488F-883C-ABA3A48A2996.jpeg

6F0B300A-DF0D-4A30-ADB3-3934F48D3F11.jpeg

@JonB....that last photo looks wrong. When I photographed a caravelle before I did my seals, I noted that the seal did NOT kick up the way yours does. The seal is an "L" shape and continues along the bottom of the door horizontally. As to why there is a difference between drivers side and passenger side, I can't explain that. Just out of curiosity, does the seal "pucka" at all on the passenger door? I bought some from a guy in Germany that a lot of people rave about.....the ones I got puckered up as they followed the curves on the passenger door.....they didn't look remotely "OEM" so I binned 'em. Went for a 15mmx16mm profile (same as I did on my T5) and they are bang on....no issues at all.
Tin helmet on and standing by for incoming!!;)

The passenger door profile is different to the drivers door, to take into consideration the fuel cap. JonB, you have fitted the drivers door exactly as i and others have fitted. There is a difference of opinion on a couple of links as to wether it should kick up at the bottom of the doors as in your last pic, but i have mine kicking up in one continuous piece. I feel you only need to give this a tweek and it will be ok. Bear with it because this was a top mod imo when i fitted mine. The sound of the door when you close from outside feels 100% better. Have another look at the bottom of your door, it does look like the rubber could go closer to the profile of the door by a couple of mm. Mopardave is correct, you shouldn't be slamming to close.

Just gone into Carpentry mode. Close the door slowly, and feel when it is starting to bind or when you feel excessive force is starting to be needed. You should be able to feel through the door where it is forcing against you. Hopefully tweek these areas and you're good to go.

Mine kicks up on the bottom like in the above photos too. They shut absolutely fine.
I wonder if there is a difference in the thickness/design of the seals used.

I will check where mine came from.

Pete

Just gone into Carpentry mode. Close the door slowly, and feel when it is starting to bind or when you feel excessive force is starting to be needed. You should be able to feel through the door where it is forcing against you. Hopefully tweek these areas and you're good to go.

Good idea.

Pete

Mine kicks up on the bottom like in the above photos too. They shut absolutely fine.
I wonder if there is a difference in the thickness/design of the seals used.

I will check where mine came from.

Pete

Got mine from Travelin-lite.

Pete

Thank you all for your input.
I had a look when closing the door slowly and I noticed where it curves on the bottom rear of the door that touches before any of the seal going up the rear edge. I tried to compare with the near side but I couldn’t get a good view with the fuel filler. I measured an off cut bit of seal and they are 15x16mm and haven’t noticed any puckering up.
Is there any adjustment on the door? Alingment looks good from the outside, I don’t really want to start adjusting things as I have a habit of making things worse.
I will see if they soften up a bit if not I’ll jist remove it.

Back