EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

I have the same problem. Exhaust fumes in cab and hissing noise in engine bay. Can someone shed some light. Thank you

On a very long drive today I felt woozy and thought I could smell fumes. Turning the dial away from demister and switching air con on seemed to help a little but it didn’t go away completely. Just check with the Carista and there’s fault code 05459 and 05273. Translated from German it’s something to do with an intermittent EGR signal and low manifold pressure. Could this be the dreaded EGR flexi-pipe? There’s no hissing sound.

Carista and there’s fault code 05459 and 05273
Carista might have padded the fault codes by leading zeros thus turning the actual codes to something different. I would verify the codes with a proper tool.

Meanwhile, I would guess the codes actually are:
5273 - Output for Starter Relay - P0616 00 [032] - Short to Ground​
5459 - Control Circuit for Starter Relay 2 - P3048 00 [032] - Short to Ground​
So simply intermittent low voltage (which looks like a short to ground) during cranking (poor battery perhaps)​
For Transporter e.g. here:​

Thank you @mmi for looking at that. Have I been using the wrong codes? Oops. I’ve been using this list, based on the ‘manufacturer-specific’ tag that comes with the ‘fault’ that Carista reports…

…and translating from German with a bit of help from Google.

Poor battery is possible - I’ve noticed the start/stop sometimes takes a long time to become active, presumably because one the conditions is not being met, which could be charge level I guess.

I’ll have a good look through the manual and look elsewhere for fumes reasons. Now it’s daylight I can do a visual on the flexi pipe and exhaust system.

Thanks again.

Reactions: mmi
Hi

I just used a small inspection mirror.. and felt the leak on the pipe. Let the engine cool first though.

Reactions: CJW
Think I’ve eliminated this pipe as the issue - mine doesn’t have one! Mine’s such an early T6 that it has the EUR5 engine carried over from the T5.1. The search continues.

Reactions: mmi
I've had a good dig through this thread, but nothing obvious.

My stink is back with a vengeance. As people will know, I started this thread after finding the original problem and replacing several pipes at 30k intervals, to then finally replaced the older style pipe with the newer modified one, which is what's fitted currently.
I've checked and none of the pipes are broken or leaking, but my goodness the fumes in my cab are far worse than the original pipe issue.

My question therefor is, has anyone had this fume issue, that's turned out to be another problem.
No other symptoms other than the awful fume smell, that we can only mitigate by leaving the cab recirculation button on permanently.

Mine was an ill-fitting tailgate seal. I had removed it and placed it back with the join in a different place just before the smell arrived. The seal was old and deformed and moving it created a gap. New seal = smell gone.

#MeTo
2018 california, Cheap part to replace, but expensive labour to get at it.
Fumes in cabin when just starting or stopped at lights.

1649326283659.jpeg

#MeTo
2018 california, Cheap part to replace, but expensive labour to get at it.
Fumes in cabin when just starting or stopped at lights.

View attachment 152075
How many hours labour were you charged? Mine is the dsg so from reading is harder to access, I can just get my hand in to feel it!

Is it just the flexi that needs replacing? I've no EML and fault codes were checked a week ago with nothing. Slight smell in the cab but I can definitely feel air coming from the left hand side of the flexi.

How many hours labour were you charged? Mine is the dsg so from reading is harder to access, I can just get my hand in to feel it!

Is it just the flexi that needs replacing? I've no EML and fault codes were checked a week ago with nothing. Slight smell in the cab but I can definitely feel air coming from the left hand side of the flexi.
Gaskets and bolts should also be replaced with the egr pipe. Having a leak at the pipe won't cause an EML.

I had mine replaced today by VW so have all the part numbers including the gaskets. Happy to post them if they are of some use.

I had mine replaced today by VW so have all the part numbers including the gaskets. Happy to post them if they are of some use.
Thanks Kev, I actually got it done today by an independent. £167 quid all in which I didn't think was bad considering the pipe is about 110 ish and by the time you add on gaskets and labour.

Thanks Kev, I actually got it done today by an independent. £167 quid all in which I didn't think was bad considering the pipe is about 110 ish and by the time you add on gaskets and labour.
That’s a great price, VW Vans charged £249 + VAT (labour was £120 + VAT on its own).

I wouldn’t usually get a main dealer to do it but as it was there getting the wing mirror fixed and due to the cockpit smell I wanted it done ASAP.

That’s a great price, VW Vans charged £249 + VAT (labour was £120 + VAT on its own).

I wouldn’t usually get a main dealer to do it but as it was there getting the wing mirror fixed and due to the cockpit smell I wanted it done ASAP.
Ouch! Did they make any mention of it being a recurring issue? I had the van in for an eligibility check for VW All in and they didn't even notice it, which didn't instill much confidence in my local dealer.

Ouch! Did they make any mention of it being a recurring issue? I had the van in for an eligibility check for VW All in and they didn't even notice it, which didn't instill much confidence in my local dealer.
No nothing at all!

Back