EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

OK . Went to van centre manchester. Egr pipe, 2 gaskets. And 4 bolts. Just in case. From experience.
£153.00.
Bolts are 2 x m10 spline and 2 x m8 spline..

View attachment 138937

View attachment 138938
Does anyone have the part numbers for these 4 bolts please? I've got the numbers for the gaskets and pipe, but can't find the bolt part numbers. Dont want to risk doing the job and realising the old bolts are knackered and VW won't give me the part numbers unless I buy from them, but at their new inflated prices, I cant afford it!

So out of interested I thought I would use my depstech camera to take a look at the bottom of my EGR supply pipe, and sure enough it has begun to crack. So a job for the weekend...

1659969407908.png

So out of interested I thought I would use my depstech camera to take a look at the bottom of my EGR supply pipe, and sure enough it has begun to crack. So a job for the weekend...

Snap I've just found exactly the same thing using an inspection mirror, rectifications to be made possibly not replacement.

Well I changed the rear EGR pipe. (CXEB 204 BiTdi)
What a nightmare of a job! Had to buy some different length spline bits and a dumpy ratchet.
Moved the pipe clips round, as they took the skin off the back of my hand, so that helped a bit, dropped one of the exhaust-end bolts down into a crevice on top of the gearbox next to the g/b oil cooler, I found it with my DEPSTECH camera but the bolt turned out to be non-magnetic so couldn't retrieve it with my telescopic magnet, so had to order a little grabber tool to get that back!
Used the camera to get the spline bits into the bolts and eventually got the ratchet onto the small extension bar and got them all out.
was a bit of a fiddle getting all 4 bolts back into the new pipe but eventually I got it done. Slid a tube over the 3/8 ratchet to get a bit more leverage to nip them up, the torque is only 20NM so just about doable.
I would like to put my boot up the arse of the bloke who thought that was a good design!

Last edited:
I’ve joined the leaking egr pipe club at 46k. Will have to wait until after the BH to get it ordered.

CXHA engine 15 minute job at the most, there is a bit of a knack to getting to the bolts. Have to be honest I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get to.
*Disclaimer I am used to working on engines with far less space.
Tip for it 1/4 drive ratchet with a long bit and socket will get to all of the bolts. The 2 at the rear of the engine require a bit of contortion to reach but on the scale of things aren't to bad and just as obvious but so often missed a bit of penetration oil will make it easier ( that's what she said :p )

Took a little longer than 15mins but wasn’t too bad. 1/4” ratchet proved essential as the lower bolt was a fiddle. Part numbers for future ref
A01C34B9-B71D-4959-854B-A9696EB85D31.jpeg

Did anyone with the split EGR pipe experience loss of power or throttle response at all?

Afternoon all, I'm next in line for bit of Flexi pipe, had a bit of hissing which I thought was normal, only had van 2 months now, but then got a P20EE fault, a bit of googling suggested it could be linked, got the old phone down the back and noticed the pipe has been welded!! I'm guessing the pipe split and this was cheaper fix.

Getting sorted tomorrow, was quoted £120 fitted, then he realised it was DSG and a slightly different pipe and now £160.

I haven't had the fumes in the cabin smell yet and the van is on 58k, 2016 150

egr.JPG

I was actually surprised as well. Last week I was told VW good will would cover half of the cost. Labour, 50% of the part cost and vat on me. However and with my surprise they didn’t charge anything. 50k miles on my van.

Back