Egr front flexi pipe

Matchyt30

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Sorry to start another post but can’t find the answer I’m looking for.

When on boost/ under load my van has started to make a loud whistle. I have noticed for a while that it did have a bit of a hiss but on Sunday when going up hill with foot down the noise changed all of a sudden to a whistle. it’s not turbo whistle as it’s a lot louder than that.

I have had a look about tonight and have notices the the metal flexi pipe at the front of the engine is covers in thick black oily stuff ( same as you get in egr) but can’t see around the pipe to see if it’s split or not.

Basically my question is would this pipe cause the loud whistle ? There is no smell in the cab tho. I had the van going but obviously without it being under load it don’t do it. Here is a pic of the pipe after I cleaned most of the crap off of it

Any help and advice is much appreciated

1B11BAC2-6E5B-40C5-AD3E-91B6BD967A7F.jpeg

2340801C-912E-47F0-8A91-B1D8423A1DB8.jpeg

Sorry to start another post but can’t find the answer I’m looking for.

When on boost/ under load my van has started to make a loud whistle. I have noticed for a while that it did have a bit of a hiss but on Sunday when going up hill with foot down the noise changed all of a sudden to a whistle. it’s not turbo whistle as it’s a lot louder than that.

I have had a look about tonight and have notices the the metal flexi pipe at the front of the engine is covers in thick black oily stuff ( same as you get in egr) but can’t see around the pipe to see if it’s split or not.

Basically my question is would this pipe cause the loud whistle ? There is no smell in the cab tho. I had the van going but obviously without it being under load it don’t do it. Here is a pic of the pipe after I cleaned most of the crap off of it

Any help and advice is much appreciated

View attachment 162713

View attachment 162714
Mine looked like that and had gone. I was also getting the ‘low flow’ error on the EGR. New one has stayed clean. :thumbsup:

Was yours also making the loud whistling noise? Cheers
Couldn’t really hear it, but it seems logical as you’d lose boost (or exhaust gas, depending on relative pressure) back through the pipe. Mine had more mid range power following the new pipe.

Update.
So had the front egr pipe changed today ( as well as clutch and dual mass flywheel) and has made no difference to the loud whistle I’m getting.

When changed they checked the pipe work around it and all seemed fine. Do you think it could be the rear pipe? The thing is there is no smell of fumes in the cab like others have said when they have had issues with that pipe. Any suggestions/ help is much appreciated. Cheers

Did you check the front intercooler for a leak?(oil staining on the core)

I don’t think they did. I will have a look tomorrow. Would this cause the Loud whistle? It’s really starting to do my head in.

I don’t think they did. I will have a look tomorrow. Would this cause the Loud whistle? It’s really starting to do my head in.
Yes, that is under pressure from the turbo, so a split in the intercooler or any of the hoses will hiss under pressure.

Thank you for your help. Hopefully I can have a look at it tomorrow after work.

When I had my Revo Remap they took the van for a spin first for a health check and I wanted them to check if it had been mapped before as I wasn't the first owner.
The technician said all the boost pressures came back as expected for the factory map. Im not an automotive tech in any way but surely if they managed to check it there should be a way of checking your boost pressure to see if its as expected to give you any indication of a leak.

I might be talking rubbish as its above my knowledge, but maybe that is of some help?

When I had my Revo Remap they took the van for a spin first for a health check and I wanted them to check if it had been mapped before as I wasn't the first owner.
The technician said all the boost pressures came back as expected for the factory map. Im not an automotive tech in any way but surely if they managed to check it there should be a way of checking your boost pressure to see if its as expected to give you any indication of a leak.

I might be talking rubbish as its above my knowledge, but maybe that is of some help?
I’m sure there must be a way of checking. So busy with work at the moment it’s difficult to have the van off the road. But then on the other hand I don’t want it to pack up completely and be off for longer.

Have a proper love / hate relationship with this van right now.

Yes, that is under pressure from the turbo, so a split in the intercooler or any of the hoses will hiss under pressure.
Does it need to be taken off to check properly as I have had a look tonight for any signs on oil stains on or around it but can’t see anything.

Can you get someone to hold the revs up for you whilst you have a listen for leaks?

Soapy water in a sprayer bottle, spray it over the hoses and intercooler(not hot EGR pipes), quick drive around the block, look for foaming?

Does it only rev to 2,000 when stationary in Neutral ?
Try putting it in gear with the clutch down - it may rev higher then.

Pete

Reactions: Loz
Sorry to hijack this post. My front EGR pipe is looking similar.

Can anyone confirm the latest part number for the front Flexi pipe?

Are the two part numbers here relating to year of vehicle manufacture or is one simply the latest version of the part?

And could I fit the latest part to a 17 plate van?

Screenshot_20230224-070051.pngScreenshot_20230224-070044.png

Back