Bikes in the back

I dont think they need to be mega tightly strapped down just something to prevent movement and breakaway from the fork clamps. If you think of most roof carriers they have a frame clamp and two heavy duty plastic straps on the wheels.

I’m looking to get 4 in, 3 x 26” wheels and 1 X 27.5” so will need to top and tail. I’m thinking 2 strips of wood with bracket for the front wheel and tie down for the rear wheel.

Ian
Sounds ideal, it's those roof carrier type straps that I was thinking of using for the rear wheels. As for security, I guess they're only as secure as the vehicle security itself, although to me, that's more secure than the locks on any external bike carrier.

I dont think they need to be mega tightly strapped down just something to prevent movement and breakaway from the fork clamps. If you think of most roof carriers they have a frame clamp and two heavy duty plastic straps on the wheels.

I’m looking to get 4 in, 3 x 26” wheels and 1 X 27.5” so will need to top and tail. I’m thinking 2 strips of wood with bracket for the front wheel and tie down for the rear wheel.

Ian
I get 4 bikes in rear wheel first and front wheel off. Secured on a rail and I have room left at the side for quite a bit. There is no movement of the bikes at all. Not even a rattle.
I'll post a pic at weekend when they are back in.
They had to make way for motorbike trial fit yesterday.MVIMG_20200615_192915.jpg

Im a machinist and luckily was able to make some aluminum brackets that fit into the existing tie downs. Also made the big riser on the right out of a scrap piece of aluminium too. It's about over kill but looks pretty cool....imo

I like making stuff - pondering some 10mm hollow axle’s (usually 9mm) for front fixation with a bit of DIY bracketry. They’re only £5 for 4 on ebay!

18mm ply, bolted through the lashing points with 80mm M10’s (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360611556348), a 10mm spacer, and finished with a fat washer, leaving the lashing points still useable
View attachment 67036View attachment 67037
Awesome @Village this is exactly what I was planning. Do you happen to have the dimensions by any chance, only asking as I was hoping to get something built and ready for when my van arrives in a couple of weeks.
Also anyone looking for mounts, I grabbed a couple of the following from amazon, limited options in the UK (US seems to have loads) these were some of the cheapest at £29.99 and are perfect (for RockShox at least), have screw in sections to make them wider for different axle widths

Good question Ian, I’m not really sure how my setup would fare in a serious accident, but it feels sturdy and secure and I would expect a relatively minor accident wouldn’t do any harm, but in a serious collision then it could fail, it hasn’t been crash tested after all.

The forks are secured using their through axles/quick releases and those brackets are bolted/screwed through 18mm ply. I intend to add some strapping points to secure the rear wheels. The whole unit is very sturdy and bolted to the existing lashing points using M10 bolts. I think it would need a pretty significant impact to cause a failure and present any danger to the bikes or passengers.
It’s surprising how much load is applied is a collision. Example; 15Kg bike, van traveling at 50MPH involved in a collision stopping the van in 0.2 second results in a load in excess of 170Kg.
On the same vehicle carrying a 200Kg motorcycle It would be a load in excess of 2270Kg, no straps will secure that under a shock load.

Last edited:
Awesome @Village this is exactly what I was planning. Do you happen to have the dimensions by any chance, only asking as I was hoping to get something built and ready for when my van arrives in a couple of weeks.
Also anyone looking for mounts, I grabbed a couple of the following from amazon, limited options in the UK (US seems to have loads) these were some of the cheapest at £29.99 and are perfect (for RockShox at least), have screw in sections to make them wider for different axle widths
Sure, dimensions as per the pic. The advantage of the rocky mounts is they clamp the axle, so accommodate all widths (boost and non boost)

IMG_3903.jpeg

Sure, dimensions as per the pic. The advantage of the rocky mounts is they clamp the axle, so accommodate all widths (boost and non boost)

View attachment 78795
Brill - thanks ever so much. really appreciate that.
Agree the Rocky ones are great. Was more being a tight northerner I could get two of the others for the same price (could only find them for £75 a piece).

I am in the process of getting everything lined up for when I get my T6.1 4motion DG swb van and one of the must haves is the means to transport both mountain bikes and trials and enduro motorbikes in the back.
I have found the "Loaded Bikes" products and wondered whether anyone else had any experience with them; how they fit, do you need to shorten the floor covering etc. Also how they work with the "plastic" bulkhead with window.

Linky

IMG_20200328_163916_749-e1586020969325.jpg

IMG_20200410_153725_289.jpg

The plastic bulkhead with window is usually behind the 2nd row of seats, as in a Kombi layout.
I don't think you'll get a motorbike of any kind (apart from a minibike) in the rear load section with the bulkhead in place.
My 690 only just fits and it's right up to the back of the front seats.

JustFits.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the process of getting everything lined up for when I get my T6.1 4motion DG swb van and one of the must haves is the means to transport both mountain bikes and trials and enduro motorbikes in the back.
I have found the "Loaded Bikes" products and wondered whether anyone else had any experience with them; how they fit, do you need to shorten the floor covering etc. Also how they work with the "plastic" bulkhead with window.

Linky

View attachment 104311

View attachment 104312
Hi mate

They fix directly in to the existing forward lashing points and sit directly on top of whatever flooring you've got in situ. Depending on floor thickness, you might need to use longer or shorter bolts than those it comes supplied with.

Drop them an email if you've got any queries.

Hi mate

They fix directly in to the existing forward lashing points and sit directly on top of whatever flooring you've got in situ. Depending on floor thickness, you might need to use longer or shorter bolts than those it comes supplied with.

Drop them an email if you've got any queries.

Just what I needed to know! Thank you.

Back