Bikes in the back

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
So, we might be going to France in mid July in the van. Caravan at Eurocamp subject to restrictions being lifted.

I’ll be taking the rear (3rd) row of seats out of our SWB and want to get 4 bikes in the back. If I remove front wheels, pedals and twist handle bars 90 degrees is it feasible to layer 4 bikes together with say dust sheets.

And still get 4 bags of luggage, camping chairs, food etc in the van?

Loads of room for 4
Only need to remove front wheels to get them in length ways.
I get four in length ways with room to spare.

I can get 3 adult bikes, a 24 inch and 20 inch bikes in my SWB, I take the front wheels off but put them sideways and bungie them together. I then have room for bags etc

When my Velle is in kombi mode, I've had a road bike and 2 x 29ers in. I take the front wheels off, load them upside down and wedge the luggage in and around them. No need to tie anything down, nothing moved an inch.

If you have time....make up a rack to hold them. I used a roof bar and bolted it to the rear tie downs....ill add pic later.......saves using bungees and bikes scratching against each other.

So, we might be going to France in mid July in the van. Caravan at Eurocamp subject to restrictions being lifted.

I’ll be taking the rear (3rd) row of seats out of our SWB and want to get 4 bikes in the back. If I remove front wheels, pedals and twist handle bars 90 degrees is it feasible to layer 4 bikes together with say dust sheets.

And still get 4 bags of luggage, camping chairs, food etc in the van?
Top and tail them with the front wheels off, don't turn the bars it makes them longer :thumbsup:

@Yzfr1
Where did you get the riser from for the smaller bike on the right?

I made it.....had a spare bit of aluminium laying about. Its actually angled to push the bars back and tuck them in behind the big bikes bars.
I initially had it made out of wood......works just as good.

I made a platform which covers the rear area and sits above wheel arches, Bikes go on there with front wheel off I have had 6 bikes in the van and all luggage goes under the platform which worked very well

I made a platform which covers the rear area and sits above wheel arches, Bikes go on there with front wheel off I have had 6 bikes in the van and all luggage goes under the platform which worked very well

Any pictures?

The clamps for the front wheels. Any recommendations from experience? Seem to be a lot of options but suspect some are better than others?

Nice van !!
I've been looking at setting up something like what you have in my swb but, I'm struggling to get my bike in with front wheel off without going diagonally. Will have to have another look.
Newer bikes with the more modern geometry are a bit of a struggle in a swb. I have a jeffsy in large, which isn't a particularly big bike, but with the forks mounted as far back as they will go (handlebars less than 1" from tailgate), the bike has to sit at a slight angle to fit in with the rear seats fully in place.
This isn’t the finished article but you get the idea. Works very well. 540290B4-F45C-4BB1-9D02-BF8C5627965E.jpeg

Newer bikes with the more modern geometry are a bit of a struggle in a swb. I have a jeffsy in large, which isn't a particularly big bike, but with the forks mounted as far back as they will go (handlebars less than 1" from tailgate), the bike has to sit at a slight angle to fit in with the rear seats fully in place.
This isn’t the finished article but you get the idea. Works very well. View attachment 66986
Cheers, will try mine like that, what sort of wood have you used? it just placed in or secured down?

Back