Westfalia Club Joker City

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
After being contacted by a forum member who was thinking of buying one, it occurred to me it might be worth doing a mini review of mine as there is very little information out there even now and there was virtually nothing when I ordered mine July 2016 after seeing one at the NEC show. I have only ever seen one other on the road. So after cleaning 16 billion Lake District bugs from the inside and outside of the van today I decided to put this together for anyone interested, and to try and help anyone in the future who needs more information.

It finally arrived after a 7 month wait in Feb 17 and I've done 8500 miles since (it's used only as a camper not an everyday vehicle). The Club Joker is done in two versions, a LWB with a hardtop and the SWB poptop City. Westfalia have had a bit more market penetration and publicity recently having released the MB Marco Polo and finally getting round to introducing RHD versions of the Kepler. It's a bit of an oddity in that it's based on a German spec van with the sliding door on the drivers side, like the Cali, but unlike the Cali it's initially ordered from VW as a special conversion-ready semi-finished panel van which they then spec up to just short of Highline spec, inc comfort dash, aircon and swivellling captains seats (plus any ordered options) before converting it themselves. I don't know the make of the roof or whether they make it themselves. Because of the layout, it's front hinged.

Mine is Indium Grey 150DSG and was ordered with the following options

Power assist sliding door
Adaptive cruise control
Magnetic shower curtain
Front seat bed (as standard it only comes with the poptop bed)
Parking sensors front and rear
Camper outdoor package - this is a leg to convert the indoor table to a freestanding outdoor one and 2 chairs in a bag that attaches to the inside tailgate. Anyone who's seen @CaliforniaCamping review of the Kepler One will have seen Sean and Lizzie comparing them to the Cali ones. And although the chairs are high quality, they were absolutely right, they're not as good as the Cali's and the packaging in the big bulky bag just doesn't work in the Westfalia, it blocks too much at the back due to the layout. Because of this, mine has never been used in anger and still sits in the spare room where it's been since I first got the van - complete waste of £250!
Canopy awning (thinks it's a Fiamma but all branding has been removed)
Alarm - I'll come to that later

I didn't upgrade the stereo from the basic as I fully intended to put an aftermarket one in, which I still haven't done. It also came with 16" steelies which I didn't upgrade as I wanted Devonports and it was cheaper to buy a set from Ebay than order them from factory.
Since getting it I've added the Devonports, sound deadening, Rainbow door speakers and tweeters, my old JL Audio amp in readiness for that replacement stereo, B14 suspension, H&R ARBs, cab curtains, Heko deflectors, front and rear dash cams and 360 camera.

IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG

The front seat/bed has Isofix mounting points, which I wanted for when I take my grandaughter away, and when it's folded over into a bed, which requires both front seats swivelling by at least 90 degrees, it has a mattress about 4" thick over a flat board. She sleeps on it without problems, though when she's tired she could probably sleep on a girder, but I've found it very comfortable on the occasions I've slept downstairs and I'm a bit "Princess and the pea" when it comes to sleep comfort. It's a bit wider than a single bed but not quite wide enough for 2 adults, though 2 kids would probably be ok, especially if they topped and tailed. The table is white gloss to match the decor and clips on to a rail as per usual. When not in use it stores on the inside of the slding door. The fridge is the usual Dometic and it has an Eberspacher with the outlet behind the driver's seat. There is some storage below the rear seat for tools and stuff like that, but it can only be accessed by flipping it up. It doesn't have the normal VW windows, instead they've fitted caravan/motorhome style double glazed plastic windows that hinge at the top. These have built-in blinds and flyscreens.

IMG_2329.JPG
The roof bed is huge and has a fairly thin cold foam mattress helped out by the plastic Frohli "sleep system" springs which make it as comfortable as a thicker mattress. They've had to do this as the roof wouldn't allow a thicker one, which means none of the bedding, other than a sheet, can be left up there which is a shame, it would have been good if at least the duvet could live up there.

Opposite the fridge is the worktop housing a 2 burner hob and a tiny round sink which is only just big enough to be usable. In fact without the plastic bowl I found, which just fits and can be filled then lifted onto the worktop, it would be very awkward. Behind this is a handy storage rack.

IMG_4631.JPG
There is quite a lot of storage in cupboards, drawers and the large curved tambour section at the front. The cupboard below that hides the hot water storage tank but has space for shoes/walking boots too. Yes it has hot water, it takes about 15-20 mins for the electric element to heat it up and holds enough for one shower - just. I usually try and switch it on while I'm moving to save battery but have used it when stationary and it doesn't massacre the leisure battery too badly.
The back of the unit contains the gas locker and the water tank filler. The tap head pulls out to form the shower, which can either suction to the inside of the tailgate for use outside, or can be used inside by means of a large plastic wraparound shower curtain that hangs from clips in the roof and secures with magnets at the base. This is a bit awkward to use and difficult to get the shower curtain dry afterwards, but it is usable. The shower tray has 2 plugholes to allow for uneven ground and is covered by two floor boards when not in use.

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

The door on the left is access to the cassette from the toilet. The seat hinges up and clips out of the way when in use. By the way, that door isn't a weird colour, it's just the reflection of the gravel.

Above the toilet is a deceptively large cupboard that goes right down to floor level inside and swallows up loads of stuff. On the wall above it is the control unit for the heating, fridge and readouts for clean and waste water levels, internal temperature and clock/timer alarm.

FullSizeRender.jpg

To its right, above the fridge, is another drawer and above this is a shallow storage tray with a mirror on the inside of the lid.

IMG_4630.JPG
It has LED lighting throughout, accessible by switches by the sliding door, including flexible reading lights in the roof bed.

So I'll come to the negatives I've found, all of which have been base van related.

First of all, it didn't come with a switch to lock the doors in the drivers door - I had to fit and wire one into the BCM, not something you want to do on a brand new van, especially when you don't know what you're doing, so thanks again for the guidance @Pauly

Then, more annoyingly, I found it didn't have deadlocking or internal sensors on the alarm! The trials and tribulations of how I tackled this are well documented in threads on this forum if anyone needs the details so I'm not going to go through it here. Suffice it to say I have found ways of solving these problems and am extremely grateful for all the contributions and suggestions from forum members on tackling the problems I've had.

The next problem was a failure, while away on holiday of the crappy split charging relay that Westfalia had fitted. In the end I decided not to go down the warranty route as the fix wasn't anywhere near as good as changing to a proper DC-DC charger, so I bought and fitted a CTEK250DSA, again documented on the forum, and which charges vastly more efficiently than the factory setup.

And that's my van. I know it's a bit of an oddball choice and I know anyone with a brain would have just bought a Cali (they're both around the same price). I also know that many will say that by trying to cram all the facilities of a motorhome into a SWB van it's just too cluttered. But that's fine, because of all these facilities and the ability it gives of being entirely self-contained, it suits me perfectly and that's what we're all about isn't it, getting a van that exactly suits our needs?

Last edited:
Now that’s very different, would like a tour.
Anyone is welcome to come and have a nose if you're in the area. I've deliberately avoided using a fisheye lens to get more in (as Westfalia do in their brochures) as they always give a very false idea of the space available, so it's difficult to see how everything relates in some of my photos.

This I assume shows the shower tray cover, remembering seeing this at NEC.

img_4626-jpg.23822

The grey water tank must then be under the body at the back?

Have you fitted a SOG?

This I assume shows the shower tray cover, remembering seeing this at NEC.

img_4626-jpg.23822

The grey water tank must then be under the body at the back?

Have you fitted a SOG?
Yes, if you look at the original post there is a photo of it with the duckboards removed. No SOG, don’t want any more holes in the van

Hello Andy,

We have just placed an order for a Club Joker City, our first campervan! Very, very excited and the perfect layout for us. Comparing the CJC with a California seems, to me, like comparing apples with oranges!
The van is still with Westfalia and reading through your (very good) review, I was wondering if you can suggest anything I can ask Westfalia for at this stage? Was the alarm set off by movement inside? That’s a bit worrying if it does!

Many thanks,
Dot

Hello Andy,

We have just placed an order for a Club Joker City, our first campervan! Very, very excited and the perfect layout for us. Comparing the CJC with a California seems, to me, like comparing apples with oranges!
The van is still with Westfalia and reading through your (very good) review, I was wondering if you can suggest anything I can ask Westfalia for at this stage? Was the alarm set off by movement inside? That’s a bit worrying if it does!

Many thanks,
Dot
Hi Dot, yay for another one added to our very small clan, I’ve only ever seen one other on the road!

There are a couple of recommendations I would make, though only one that Westfalia can do. Are you buying from Rob at Campervansales?

So firstly, the alarm. Now mine is a 17 model so getting on for 4yrs old now so things may have changed for the 6.1 but I would not have optioned the alarm if I’d known what it was. Because of the spec of van used, it apparently wasn’t possible to get the full alarm system as fitted to UK Highline models, not even as an option, so the alarm it came with was perimeter only, no internal sensors at all and not Thatcham Cat 1. Being a bit of a geek I played with wiring in sensors I built myself but in the end paid for an aftermarket Cat1 alarm to comply with insurance. This cost me £300 on top of the £300 I’d paid for the VW alarm, so if the situation is still the same don’t order the alarm and have your own fitted immediately you take delivery. It may even be possible to have this done at the dealer before collection. As I say, this may have all changed now but do check.

Next, it came with a VSR to charge the leisure battery which, if you do research on here is totally unsuitable for a vehicle with a smart alternator. Ironically it totally failed anyway after 6 months (leaving me with no power while away in the Outer Hebrides!) and instead of a long trip to the south coast for a warranty replacement, I bought and installed a Ctek dc-dc charger which has been faultless and is the sort of thing they should be fitting as standard. Again, they may have improved this, but I bet they haven’t. Not much you can do about it other than remembering this post if it does go wrong down the line.

The next thing is a bit of an odd one. If you have ordered it with the downstairs bed, you will find that the back end rests on a length of 25mm square box section of aluminium. I found that sometimes if you fidgeted a lot, it would occasionally fall off, tipping you down and banging your head off the back wall! Thankfully it never happened when my little granddaughter was in it, so it must have been down to weight/positioning. Looking closely at it, it was because the play on the hinges halfway down was enough to move the end of the bed very close to the edge of the bar such that a longitudinal movement could be enough to take it over. After it happened to me 3 times in one night, I took it out and installed 40mm box section in its place. This has worked perfectly and I have had no problems since. Hopefully it was just a one off and wont affect you, but if it does, contact me and I’ll tell you exactly how and what you need to sort it.

The shower curtain? Yeah... 3yrs on and I still haven’t totally cracked this. For a very expensive, custom-made item, it’s totally the wrong size and shape and is really fiddly to use. I’ve made my own out of 2 x shower curtains from Wilco’s, which fit slightly better, but still really awkward to have a shower while the curtain is clinging to you. Having said that (and there are many on here who don’t see the point or have the need for hot water or an internal shower), it’s great being able to have a hot shower after climbing to the top of a Norwegian mountain and getting cold and wet on the way down. It’s also good on the beach or when it’s a bit warmer, to stick to the inside of the tailgate and use outside. If you will always be on sites with facilities you can probably give it a miss but I don’t wherever possible.

None of these are showstoppers, just minor niggles and I love my van and wouldn’t swap it for any other T6 that I’ve seen, fits my needs far better than the traditional side kitchen/rear hinged poptop style. Any other questions before or after you buy, just contact me, good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Dot, yay for another one added to our very small clan, I’ve only ever seen one other on the road!

There are a couple of recommendations I would make, though only one that Westfalia can do. Are you buying from Rob at Campervansales?

So firstly, the alarm. Now mine is a 17 model so getting on for 4yrs old now so things may have changed for the 6.1 but I would not have optioned the alarm if I’d known what it was. Because of the spec of van used, it apparently wasn’t possible to get the full alarm system as fitted to UK Highline models, not even as an option, so the alarm it came with was perimeter only, no internal sensors at all and not Thatcham Cat 1. Being a bit of a geek I played with wiring in sensors I built myself but in the end paid for an aftermarket Cat1 alarm to comply with insurance. This cost me £300 on top of the £300 I’d paid for the VW alarm, so if the situation is still the same don’t order the alarm and have your own fitted immediately you take delivery. It may even be possible to have this done at the dealer before collection. As I say, this may have all changed now but do check.

Next, it came with a VSR to charge the leisure battery which, if you do research on here is totally unsuitable for a vehicle with a smart alternator. Ironically it totally failed anyway after 6 months (leaving me with no power while away in the Outer Hebrides!) and instead of a long trip to the south coast for a warranty I bought and installed a Ctek dc-dc charger which had been faultless and is the sort of thing they should be fitting as standard. Again, they may have improved this, but I bet they haven’t. Not much you can do about it other than remembering this post if it does go wrong down the line.

The next thing is a bit of an odd one. If you have ordered it with the downstairs bed, you will find that the back end rests on a length of 25mm square box section of aluminium. I found that sometimes if you fidgeted a lot, it would occasionally fall off, tipping you down and banging your head off the back wall! Thankfully it never happened when my little granddaughter was in it, so it must have been down to weight/positioning. Looking closely at it, it was because the play on the hinges halfway down was enough to move the end of the bed very close to the edge of the bar such that a longitudinal movement could be enough to take it over. After it happened to me 3 times in one night, I took it out and installed 40mm box section in its place. This has worked perfectly and I have had no problems since. Hopefully it was just a one off and wont affect you, but if it does, contact me and I’ll tell you exactly how and what you need to sort it.

The shower curtain? Yeah... 3yrs on and I still haven’t totally cracked this. For a very expensiv, custom-made item, it’s totally the wrong size and shape and is really fiddly to use. I’ve made my own out of 2 x shower curtains from Wilco’s, which fit slightly better, but still really awkward to have a shower while the curtain is clinging to you. Having said that (and there are many on here who don’t see the point or have the need for hot water or an internal shower), it’s great being able to have a hot shower after climbing to the top of a Norwegian mountain and getting cold and wet on the way down. It’s also good on the beach or when it’s a bit warmer, to stick to the inside of the tailgate and use outside. If you will always be on sites with facilities you can probably give it a miss but I don’t wherever possible.

None of these are showstoppers, just minor niggles and I love my van and wouldn’t swap it for any other T6 that I’ve seen, fits my needs far better than the traditional side kitchen/rear hinged poptop style. Any other questions before or after you buy, just contact me, good luck :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh yes, buy the excellent lock m out covers for the window catches, this type of caravan window is too easy to open with a bit of bent wire otherwise Lock m Out |

Hi, I'm a new member with a Westfalia Club Joker City.
Looking for advice on storage of a couple of camping chairs. The new camper was specified with tailgate storage of the chairs. Unfortunately, these have been removed along with the storage container. What remains is four webbing strap clips centred on the tailgate.
Grateful for any ideas on reinstatement of the chair storage container.

Next, it came with a VSR to charge the leisure battery which, if you do research on here is totally unsuitable for a vehicle with a smart alternator. Ironically it totally failed anyway after 6 months (leaving me with no power while away in the Outer Hebrides!) and instead of a long trip to the south coast for a warranty replacement, I bought and installed a Ctek dc-dc charger which has been faultless and is the sort of thing they should be fitting as standard. Again, they may have improved this, but I bet they haven’t. Not much you can do about it other than remembering this post if it does go wrong down the line.

The shower curtain? Yeah... 3yrs on and I still haven’t totally cracked this. For a very expensive, custom-made item, it’s totally the wrong size and shape and is really fiddly to use. I’ve made my own out of 2 x shower curtains from Wilco’s, which fit slightly better, but still really awkward to have a shower while the curtain is clinging to you. Having said that (and there are many on here who don’t see the point or have the need for hot water or an internal shower), it’s great being able to have a hot shower after climbing to the top of a Norwegian mountain and getting cold and wet on the way down. It’s also good on the beach or when it’s a bit warmer, to stick to the inside of the tailgate and use outside. If you will always be on sites with facilities you can probably give it a miss but I don’t wherever possible.

I’ve just taken delivery of my joker city. As far as electronics etc - not a clue. My big issue is the lower bed. I have twice be dumped onto the floor because of the movement. I was firstly advised, by the dealer to move the passenger seat closer, that done it still decided that I should end up on the floor. Not funny as it’s about a meter drop, still only banged head and bruises. Apparently the beds should have a safety attachment to stop movement, but they forgot to add it.
Question, is it worth changing the seat, removing the folding bed and replacing with a Kepler type set up?

After being contacted by a forum member who was thinking of buying one, it occurred to me it might be worth doing a mini review of mine as there is very little information out there even now and there was virtually nothing when I ordered mine July 2016 after seeing one at the NEC show. I have only ever seen one other on the road. So after cleaning 16 billion Lake District bugs from the inside and outside of the van today I decided to put this together for anyone interested, and to try and help anyone in the future who needs more information.

It finally arrived after a 7 month wait in Feb 17 and I've done 8500 miles since (it's used only as a camper not an everyday vehicle). The Club Joker is done in two versions, a LWB with a hardtop and the SWB poptop City. Westfalia have had a bit more market penetration and publicity recently having released the MB Marco Polo and finally getting round to introducing RHD versions of the Kepler. It's a bit of an oddity in that it's based on a German spec van with the sliding door on the drivers side, like the Cali, but unlike the Cali it's initially ordered from VW as a special conversion-ready semi-finished panel van which they then spec up to just short of Highline spec, inc comfort dash, aircon and swivellling captains seats (plus any ordered options) before converting it themselves. I don't know the make of the roof or whether they make it themselves. Because of the layout, it's front hinged.

Mine is Indium Grey 150DSG and was ordered with the following options

Power assist sliding door
Adaptive cruise control
Magnetic shower curtain
Front seat bed (as standard it only comes with the poptop bed)
Parking sensors front and rear
Camper outdoor package - this is a leg to convert the indoor table to a freestanding outdoor one and 2 chairs in a bag that attaches to the inside tailgate. Anyone who's seen @CaliforniaCamping review of the Kepler One will have seen Sean and Lizzie comparing them to the Cali ones. And although the chairs are high quality, they were absolutely right, they're not as good as the Cali's and the packaging in the big bulky bag just doesn't work in the Westfalia, it blocks too much at the back due to the layout. Because of this, mine has never been used in anger and still sits in the spare room where it's been since I first got the van - complete waste of £250!
Canopy awning (thinks it's a Fiamma but all branding has been removed)
Alarm - I'll come to that later

I didn't upgrade the stereo from the basic as I fully intended to put an aftermarket one in, which I still haven't done. It also came with 16" steelies which I didn't upgrade as I wanted Devonports and it was cheaper to buy a set from Ebay than order them from factory.
Since getting it I've added the Devonports, sound deadening, Rainbow door speakers and tweeters, my old JL Audio amp in readiness for that replacement stereo, B14 suspension, H&R ARBs, cab curtains, Heko deflectors, front and rear dash cams and 360 camera.

View attachment 23814
View attachment 23815

The front seat/bed has Isofix mounting points, which I wanted for when I take my grandaughter away, and when it's folded over into a bed, which requires both front seats swivelling by at least 90 degrees, it has a mattress about 4" thick over a flat board. She sleeps on it without problems, though when she's tired she could probably sleep on a girder, but I've found it very comfortable on the occasions I've slept downstairs and I'm a bit "Princess and the pea" when it comes to sleep comfort. It's a bit wider than a single bed but not quite wide enough for 2 adults, though 2 kids would probably be ok, especially if they topped and tailed. The table is white gloss to match the decor and clips on to a rail as per usual. When not in use it stores on the inside of the slding door. The fridge is the usual Dometic and it has an Eberspacher with the outlet behind the driver's seat. There is some storage below the rear seat for tools and stuff like that, but it can only be accessed by flipping it up. It doesn't have the normal VW windows, instead they've fitted caravan/motorhome style double glazed plastic windows that hinge at the top. These have built-in blinds and flyscreens.

View attachment 23819
The roof bed is huge and has a fairly thin cold foam mattress helped out by the plastic Frohli "sleep system" springs which make it as comfortable as a thicker mattress. They've had to do this as the roof wouldn't allow a thicker one, which means none of the bedding, other than a sheet, can be left up there which is a shame, it would have been good if at least the duvet could live up there.

Opposite the fridge is the worktop housing a 2 burner hob and a tiny round sink which is only just big enough to be usable. In fact without the plastic bowl I found, which just fits and can be filled then lifted onto the worktop, it would be very awkward. Behind this is a handy storage rack.

View attachment 23820
There is quite a lot of storage in cupboards, drawers and the large curved tambour section at the front. The cupboard below that hides the hot water storage tank but has space for shoes/walking boots too. Yes it has hot water, it takes about 15-20 mins for the electric element to heat it up and holds enough for one shower - just. I usually try and switch it on while I'm moving to save battery but have used it when stationary and it doesn't massacre the leisure battery too badly.
The back of the unit contains the gas locker and the water tank filler. The tap head pulls out to form the shower, which can either suction to the inside of the tailgate for use outside, or can be used inside by means of a large plastic wraparound shower curtain that hangs from clips in the roof and secures with magnets at the base. This is a bit awkward to use and difficult to get the shower curtain dry afterwards, but it is usable. The shower tray has 2 plugholes to allow for uneven ground and is covered by two floor boards when not in use.

View attachment 23821

View attachment 23822

The door on the left is access to the cassette from the toilet. The seat hinges up and clips out of the way when in use. By the way, that door isn't a weird colour, it's just the reflection of the gravel.

Above the toilet is a deceptively large cupboard that goes right down to floor level inside and swallows up loads of stuff. On the wall above it is the control unit for the heating, fridge and readouts for clean and waste water levels, internal temperature and clock/timer alarm.

View attachment 23823

To its right, above the fridge, is another drawer and above this is a shallow storage tray with a mirror on the inside of the lid.

View attachment 23824
It has LED lighting throughout, accessible by switches by the sliding door, including flexible reading lights in the roof bed.

So I'll come to the negatives I've found, all of which have been base van related.

First of all, it didn't come with a switch to lock the doors in the drivers door - I had to fit and wire one into the BCM, not something you want to do on a brand new van, especially when you don't know what you're doing, so thanks again for the guidance @Pauly

Then, more annoyingly, I found it didn't have deadlocking or internal sensors on the alarm! The trials and tribulations of how I tackled this are well documented in threads on this forum if anyone needs the details so I'm not going to go through it here. Suffice it to say I have found ways of solving these problems and am extremely grateful for all the contributions and suggestions from forum members on tackling the problems I've had.

The next problem was a failure, while away on holiday of the crappy split charging relay that Westfalia had fitted. In the end I decided not to go down the warranty route as the fix wasn't anywhere near as good as changing to a proper DC-DC charger, so I bought and fitted a CTEK250DSA, again documented on the forum, and which charges vastly more efficiently than the factory setup.

And that's my van. I know it's a bit of an oddball choice and I know anyone with a brain would have just bought a Cali (they're both around the same price). I also know that many will say that by trying to cram all the facilities of a motorhome into a SWB van it's just too cluttered. But that's fine, because of all these facilities and the ability it gives of being entirely self-contained, it suits me perfectly and that's what we're all about isn't it, getting a van that exactly suits our needs?
Hi I have just bought one. It is not charging properly I do not think. Need a bit of help with van. The guy that handed it over really didn’t know much about them. Please can you help me. Lisa.

Hi I have just bought one. It is not charging properly I do not think. Need a bit of help with van. The guy that handed it over really didn’t know much about them. Please can you help me. Lisa.
It’s a 2021 model. Thank you , all very frustrating need help. Thx u.

Not been on here much of late so It’s easier to detail all the progress I’ve made with mods and changes in one post rather than searching for all the stuff I’d previously posted and adding to it, so here goes

1) First and foremost, a trip across the country to ChrisR at the @VanCave, for new Koni shocks all round and a change to T30 springs at the rear, has transformed the look and feel of the van, taking it up about 50mm from when I last set it to the highest on the B14s. It just feels so much better to drive now and I much prefer the look to being down low. I honestly wish I’d had it like this from the start. Massive thanks to Chris who was spot on with his advice, and was fastidious in his workmanship. Absolutely top job and I’d recommend him to anyone. Lovely part of the world to hang around in too.
He also fitted my Lazer lamps at the same time.

Image-5.jpeg

2) I carried out the remote operation mod on the Eberspacher I had been investigating. My assumption from the circuit diagram that feeding 12v into the Yellow wire on the Eber loom would switch it on proved to be correct, so I made a small box containing a relay to operate this, triggered by a Weemos D1 Mini Pro connected to the Blynk IOT network. This enables me to switch it on and off from the app on my phone and works great. Note, this does not allow me to alter the temperature setting remotely, but I rarely change that anyway. It also is dependent on having WIFi in the van as the Blynk network needs internet access to operate. The app also provides positive feedback so I can look at my phone and see if the heater is on or off.

Image-4.png

3) Flushed with the success of that, I built another module with a relay connected to a line that is switched low when my Clifford alarm is triggered. This also communicates over the Blynk network and sends a notification to my phone if it goes off.

Image3.png

3) I fitted an Alhambra PDC module (as per @Robert idea, thanks) to enable the parking sensors to automatically trigger, front and rear, when an obstacle is near without having to first press the button. I then further extended the usefulness of this by removing the reverse camera trigger from my Kenwood 8019 and instead wiring it to the PDC button. Now when an obstacle is within range the appropriate camera automatically displays, as well as the beepers, finally giving me the functions I wanted from my 360 cam.

4) Controversial one. I replaced the tailgate struts with 1300N (not a typo), in place of the 1200N that were on. This entailed changing the top ball joints, and modifying the lower plates, to accept 13mm ball joints. The tailgate now lifts and supports my EMTB without sagging and, contrary to some theories, is not excessively difficult to close without the bike on due to the angle they operate at. I can close it with one hand and I’ve got arms like pipe cleaners.

Image-1.jpeg

5) I switched the Valence battery out and replaced it with a Poweroad low temperature lithium, as per the lithium thread. Still not quite small enough to fit vertically under the seat but certainly makes it a bit less cramped and meant I could remove the low temperature circuitry I’d made. As the app allows you to directly monitor the BMS I could now see that the “battery drain” problem I thought I had with the Valence was nothing of the sort, instead it was the cheap knockoff Renogy battery monitor that was providing misleading readings. I had been puzzled why my battery would often drop from 100% to 75% overnight with no load. One morning, after fitting the Poweroad, I looked at the monitor to see that my state of charge had dropped from 100% to 55% in 2 days (!) - but accessing the battery direct showed it was actually at 98%!
This was repeatable so I’ve junked the monitor. You get what you pay for I guess.
One thing this battery doesn’t do quite so well as the Valence is resisting voltage sag when pulling high current. My old AGM would often drop to 10.1v when brewing a second cup of Tassimo powered by the inverter (still took 4 yrs to kill it though) and the Valence would only drop from 13.5v to 12.4v in the same circumstances so a huge improvement. The Poweroad though drops to 11.3v which is a bit of a letdown. Recovers immediately the load is removed though so no great problem, but interesting to see that a 10 yr old high quality battery can outperform a brand new, maybe not quite so high quality, one. Again, I guess you get what you pay for.
Another issue I have with the Poweroad is that, when the van is away in the garage and under very low load (WiFi router and 3 micro controllers), it keeps saying it has gone into standby and I haven’t found a way to stop it. It seems to drop the voltage, though it must stay high enough not to affect the buck converters powering the 5v microcontrollers. But it does mean that the control panel that looks after the fridge, heater, water tank readouts etc dies causing the clock to be reset to midnight, so it’s always wrong. No biggie I suppose, but it is annoying and would be a nuisance if I were setting the heating to come on with a timer.

6) Aircon condenser replaced and gloss black grille fitted. No problems since.

The gradual move towards normality has enabled a few great breaks away in the van, including trips back up to the highlands and a week in Wales with my granddaughter.
All in all I’ve loved using and driving the van over the summer, it’s finally exactly how I wanted it and adapted perfectly to fit me…
Image.jpeg

…which makes this all the more inexplicable.
It’s gone - and its replacement, while still dark grey with a Westfalia logo on the side, is not a Volkswagen.

So this has ended up being a final update and a goodbye. I want to thank @Pauly and all the admins and mods for the amazing community they’ve built, as well as all the other forum members who’ve helped me out, all those I’ve blatantly stolen ideas from, given me inspiration and everyone who helps make the forum the fantastic resource it is. I’ve loved my T6 and have very happy memories of my 4 and a half years with it, but life changes and so did I.

I’ll be putting quite a few T6 associated bits on the For Sale forum when I get my act together but other than that, thank you and goodbye.

Hi, I'm a new member with a Westfalia Club Joker City.
Looking for advice on storage of a couple of camping chairs. The new camper was specified with tailgate storage of the chairs. Unfortunately, these have been removed along with the storage container. What remains is four webbing strap clips centred on the tailgate.
Grateful for any ideas on reinstatement of the chair storage container.
I bought the camping chair set when I got mine, and did exactly the same - took off the catches and slung it in a room never to be used, biggest waste of £250 ever

I’ve just taken delivery of my joker city. As far as electronics etc - not a clue. My big issue is the lower bed. I have twice be dumped onto the floor because of the movement. I was firstly advised, by the dealer to move the passenger seat closer, that done it still decided that I should end up on the floor. Not funny as it’s about a meter drop, still only banged head and bruises. Apparently the beds should have a safety attachment to stop movement, but they forgot to add it.
Question, is it worth changing the seat, removing the folding bed and replacing with a Kepler type set up?
That would be a horrendous waste of money! Just replace the 25mm box section aluminium support with 40mm as I detailed elsewhere, stops the collapsing problem

Back