T6 Midroof LWB Wheelchair Campervan Build

I’ve the idea about signposting the I’ve to the maxxfan Bryn.

I hope you have been coping well with the fires and rain, hadn’t seen anything from you for a bit
:thumbsup:

Hi Oldrat,

It's been a crazy summer here, extreme heat, fires and now flooding, lucky for us, we only had to deal with the heat, but i feel for those that have suffered the fires and then flooding back to back all within a month.

The van has been sitting in the Workshop since we got back from our lap of Aus, while we we wait to till the summer heat reduces, so we can head off again, we are hoping to leave in 6 weeks.

I haven't been on the forum much, i need to make more of an effort

I haven't had much to do on the van since we got back, i ordered in and fitted a larger storage box for the tailgate rack and upgraded the struts and mounts, fitted LED lightbulbs so we could see, on those rare times we had to find a campsite at night. (normally we try not to drive at night to reduce animal strikes)

Ordered in a new larger Votronic charger a few months ago to increase the DC-DC charging time, which just arrived yesterday.

We are expecting to be away for 5-6 months this time, so i've just been sorting out the van weaknesses before we head off.

Glad that all is well and that you are coping with all the weather throws at you.
Sounds like the van is ideal for the next trip, can’t wait to hear all about it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well I'm getting close to fitting the laminated overhead tomorrow, i got distracted and fitted the side and tailgate fitted midggie/mozzie net

View attachment 46767
View attachment 46768

It's not pretty, but for those who have been out west, know how bad the flies are and mozzies on the coast are a pain.

Think of when you see someone wearing a bee suit and that what the fly problem in some areas are like.

I do have to apply some velcro to the bottom of the netting to seal that tomorrow.

I also fitted a tailgate shower tent that tucks into the tailgate.

View attachment 46769
Hi can you give the details of the tailgate shower tent. It's just what I was looking for, one that tucks in to the tailgate when not in use and then drops down when needed.

I've just started my conversion of a very very similar base vehicle, this is the first other mid-height I've come across...
Hope I can do half as good a job!!!

I've just started my conversion of a very very similar base vehicle, this is the first other mid-height I've come across...
Hope I can do half as good a job!!!

Yeah you don't see a lot of them around, hopefully some of the posts help you somewhat, there isn't a lot of builds with the midroof.

good luck with the build, they make great little campers

Hi. have you managed to start touring Aus with all the border restrictions? I am in Melbourne! Ahhr!!! I am waiting for my T6.1 campervan but it has been delayed further because of COVID19 in the VW factory in Europe! I am looking at options for a bike rack and storage box for the back of my T6.1. Any ideas? I would have two mountain bikes and also like a safe storage area for tents and 4WD recovery equipment. the VW bike rack looks good but is very expensive. the VW bag looks good but is a soft bag and also expensive and I wonder how how secure it is. Putting stuff on top of the vehicle is not an option because I would not fit the van in my garage then! I would appreciate any ideas from the forum. regards.

Hi Outback,

you must be annoyed that your van is delayed, but to be fair, holidaying over summer isn't that enjoyable in Aus, i prefer the other 3 seasons, hopefully you see it before autumn.

We decided not to head off and tour Aus again this year, as it was too hot to go north to NT when NT decided that we could enter and WA hadn't opened their borders.

We couldn't really go south from QLD at the time, and a lot of stuff that we wanted to do was closed even in QLD, so we will head off come March, hopefully we will be able to travel without too many restrictions, fingers crossed.

This time last year we were over in WA in the van, but looking forward to getting back over there to explore some more.

As for bike storage, you can get a towbar bike swing away mount, but that'll gets annoying to disconnect when you want to open the tailgate.

I used a Fiamma bike mount and modified it for my storage box, not cheap, but well built and hasn't fallen off from our last trip around aus, as for the soft bag, it's an unknown, you never know what lowlife is out there, you will also need upgraded tailgate struts, most likey 1250nm if you have 2 bikes.

i keep my recovery gear in the cupboard under the bed, as there is a bit of weight with the snatch straps, shackles tire plugs eta

I'm not sure if your camper has roof rails, but a removable rack could be the answer when you are travelling and then you can remove it so you can park your van.

Nothing is cheap when it comes to these campers

Back