Bikes in the back

Thanks @Village will def have a look into this setup, I'm riding a Giant reign 650b with similar geometry to your YT.. are your thru axle mounts bought or have you made them? Cheers
I went with Rocky Mounts, which i seriously rate but it's a bit of a ballache as i couldn't find a UK supplier (DriveShaft HM). I got them from US Amazon and didn't take too long, but the price has ramped up massively since. Plenty of different options available though

I’ve been knocking this together recently, still a bit left to do, but when finished it’ll take 2 medium adult 650b+ hard tail mountain bikes and 2 kids 24” wheel mountain bikes. Front wheels off, but rears stay on. There will also be a drawer in the front about 600 deep. It bolts to the existing lashing points and is designed to extend out of the van to enable easy loading in and out of bikes. I’ll add more pics when it’s finished and the bikes are loaded on.

96B3D00B-6EA1-4BA3-878B-D3EDEE2065C8.jpeg002E5F96-8626-48C8-BDA9-B6FAC0193370.jpeg732FBB45-3F7E-4362-98BA-53776CB1586E.jpeg539BDCC6-CE05-4D40-83F4-52E1272CEDE5.jpeg

I’ve been knocking this together recently, still a bit left to do, but when finished it’ll take 2 medium adult 650b+ hard tail mountain bikes and 2 kids 24” wheel mountain bikes. Front wheels off, but rears stay on. There will also be a drawer in the front about 600 deep. It bolts to the existing lashing points and is designed to extend out of the van to enable easy loading in and out of bikes. I’ll add more pics when it’s finished and the bikes are loaded on.

View attachment 72425View attachment 72426View attachment 72427View attachment 72428
bloody brilliant mate

I used some mdf and cheap plumbing plastic pipe and fittings - very cheap. Although you could just take both wheels out and turn bikes upside down. They’re very stable on their bars and saddle with wheels stored between etc
9496C31E-7BE0-40DD-A928-0AD286AF4A2A.jpeg602BA923-F5E7-4B79-BCF6-4A6ED5984EC3.jpeg

I've done this in my LWB Combi
IMG_20200505_133319.jpg
I had the roof bars & Thule fittings left from my last car. Replaced the rubber flooring with plywood covered in rubber sheet. I have prong T nuts in the plywood to fix the rack into. My hard tail MTB just fits, cyclo-cross & Road bike have plenty of space.

I went with Rocky Mounts, which i seriously rate but it's a bit of a ballache as i couldn't find a UK supplier (DriveShaft HM). I got them from US Amazon and didn't take too long, but the price has ramped up massively since. Plenty of different options available though
One of my mates used to work for Rocky Mounts, Boulder Colorado. I stayed in his bosses cabin in Crested Butte one winter.

Thanks. Toggles was my next question; did you not find any suitable ones that came with the latch?
They sell slides with integrated locking catches for about £20 more, but I wasn’t sure if I could get them fitted in such a way that they would work with my design.

Some really good ideas. With several bikes in the back how do you stop them flailing around in an accident? I have some machine mart 1” ratchet straps I’m considering.

The security angle in another thread is also a serious consideration. Makes you wonder why we all bother working hard to have nice stuff. A well maintained pub bike might be a better idea!

Regards
Ian

Reactions: DXX
Some really good ideas. With several bikes in the back how do you stop them flailing around in an accident? I have some machine mart 1” ratchet straps I’m considering.

The security angle in another thread is also a serious consideration. Makes you wonder why we all bother working hard to have nice stuff. A well maintained pub bike might be a better idea!

Regards
Ian
Good question Ian, I’m not really sure how my setup would fare in a serious accident, but it feels sturdy and secure and I would expect a relatively minor accident wouldn’t do any harm, but in a serious collision then it could fail, it hasn’t been crash tested after all.

The forks are secured using their through axles/quick releases and those brackets are bolted/screwed through 18mm ply. I intend to add some strapping points to secure the rear wheels. The whole unit is very sturdy and bolted to the existing lashing points using M10 bolts. I think it would need a pretty significant impact to cause a failure and present any danger to the bikes or passengers.

Good question Ian, I’m not really sure how my setup would fare in a serious accident, but it feels sturdy and secure and I would expect a relatively minor accident wouldn’t do any harm, but in a serious collision then it could fail, it hasn’t been crash tested after all.

The forks are secured using their through axles/quick releases and those brackets are bolted/screwed through 18mm ply. I intend to add some strapping points to secure the rear wheels. The whole unit is very sturdy and bolted to the existing lashing points using M10 bolts. I think it would need a pretty significant impact to cause a failure and present any danger to the bikes or passengers.
I dont think they need to be mega tightly strapped down just something to prevent movement and breakaway from the fork clamps. If you think of most roof carriers they have a frame clamp and two heavy duty plastic straps on the wheels.

I’m looking to get 4 in, 3 x 26” wheels and 1 X 27.5” so will need to top and tail. I’m thinking 2 strips of wood with bracket for the front wheel and tie down for the rear wheel.

Ian

Back