Help me pick a van please

Myc

I have spent the last few days pouring over the information on the forum and am looking for some advice please -

I have managed to get two good deals on pre-registered T6.1 Shuttle Vans but cannot decide which one to pick!

Both are main dealer vans pre-registered in December to hit targets.

The cheaper option - T6.1 Shuttle LWB 150 DSG just 10 miles on the clock registered Dec 2020 £32k or

The more expensive option T6.1 Shuttle LWB 199 DSG just 20 miles on the clock £38k

The 199 over and above the 150 has -
  • Power latching side doors
  • Rear Camera
  • Chrome Pack
Then it mentions in the spec sheet for the 199 that it has these but it doesn't mention it in the 150 spec sheet (I also can't find what this actually consists of) -
  • Special interior noise suppression measures
  • Special sound deadening measures in cab and passenger compartment
The monthlies on the 150 works out at £9.5k + £239 a month for 4 years
The monthlies on the 199 works out at £10.5k + £350 a month for 4 years

So having never owned a van before I was loving the idea of paying just £239 a month so that if it didn't get much use and we weren't getting on with it as a family but then I saw the 199 and worried that if we do get on with it and use it a lot and keep it long term I'll always regret not buying the more powerful model. Also at those prices could I get out of them without losing to much money if we really don't like it? I've seen identical spec 150's up for much more money not so much with the 199.

When in use the shuttle is likely to be carrying 2/3 adults + 3/4 young children and car seats + Bikes/luggage etc. as it will be usually used for day trips, or runs to France for holidays etc. It's not planned to be a camper conversion.

Would also love to know how noisy people find the 6.1 Shuttle, will I need to retro fit noise reduction? Also can a bog standard adult bike fit in the back of a LWB shuttle without removing the wheels with the 3rd row tilted forward?

Unfortunately both dealers are 2+ hours away and can't get into other dealerships due to Covid so buying untried and tested.

So I guess the main question is, do I spend the extra £110 a month for the extra power, couple of extra nice to haves and to me, a nicer colour? Also, anyone know what the sound deadening/noise suppression mentioned includes and is it on the 150 but just not mentioned? and does it make a difference?

Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Check the new list price of the 199 before VED and the registration fee is added. If it's over £40,000, being M1 classed (car) it will be subject to the additional £350 per year (luxury car) tax for years 2, 3, 4 & 5.

I have spent the last few days pouring over the information on the forum and am looking for some advice please -

I have managed to get two good deals on pre-registered T6.1 Shuttle Vans but cannot decide which one to pick!

Both are main dealer vans pre-registered in December to hit targets.

The cheaper option - T6.1 Shuttle LWB 150 DSG just 10 miles on the clock registered Dec 2020 £32k or

The more expensive option T6.1 Shuttle LWB 199 DSG just 20 miles on the clock £38k

The 199 over and above the 150 has -
  • Power latching side doors
  • Rear Camera
  • Chrome Pack
Then it mentions in the spec sheet for the 199 that it has these but it doesn't mention it in the 150 spec sheet (I also can't find what this actually consists of) -
  • Special interior noise suppression measures
  • Special sound deadening measures in cab and passenger compartment
The monthlies on the 150 works out at £9.5k + £239 a month for 4 years
The monthlies on the 199 works out at £10.5k + £350 a month for 4 years

So having never owned a van before I was loving the idea of paying just £239 a month so that if it didn't get much use and we weren't getting on with it as a family but then I saw the 199 and worried that if we do get on with it and use it a lot and keep it long term I'll always regret not buying the more powerful model. Also at those prices could I get out of them without losing to much money if we really don't like it? I've seen identical spec 150's up for much more money not so much with the 199.

When in use the shuttle is likely to be carrying 2/3 adults + 3/4 young children and car seats + Bikes/luggage etc. as it will be usually used for day trips, or runs to France for holidays etc. It's not planned to be a camper conversion.

Would also love to know how noisy people find the 6.1 Shuttle, will I need to retro fit noise reduction? Also can a bog standard adult bike fit in the back of a LWB shuttle without removing the wheels with the 3rd row tilted forward?

Unfortunately both dealers are 2+ hours away and can't get into other dealerships due to Covid so buying untried and tested.

So I guess the main question is, do I spend the extra £110 a month for the extra power, couple of extra nice to haves and to me, a nicer colour? Also, anyone know what the sound deadening/noise suppression mentioned includes and is it on the 150 but just not mentioned? and does it make a difference?

Thank you in advance for any help offered.
When I ordered mine I went for the 199 bhp dsg because on a previous van I opted for less but regretted it.
If you can afford the one you want go for it but if your not to bothered save your money can go for the cheaper option as they are both great vans.

Check the new list price of the 199 before VED and the registration fee is added. If it's over £40,000, being M1 classed (car) it will be subject to the additional £350 per year (luxury car) tax for years 2, 3, 4 & 5.
Thank you, both cars exceeded £40,000 when registered so both are around £475 a year in tax so no differentiator there I'm afraid

When I ordered mine I went for the 199 bhp dsg because on a previous van I opted for less but regretted it.
If you can afford the one you want go for it but if your not to bothered save your money can go for the cheaper option as they are both great vans.
Thanks Steve, is the EGR still a reliability issue on the higher powered 6.1, I read about EGR issues on the higher powered 6?

Regarding the sound proofing....it’s not the best and you may well add extra insulation your self... :)

Ps.. many things can be changed later...but if one of the vans is the colour of choice...Get it :thumbsup:

Regarding the sound proofing....it’s not the best and you may well add extra insulation your self... :)

Ps.. many things can be changed later...but if one of the vans is the colour of choice...Get it :thumbsup:
The 150 is Silver the 199 is Ravenna Blue I prefer the blue but could live with the silver

I’ve just moved from a T6 150 two tone Caravelle se LWB to a T6.1 199 Ravenna blue Caravelle and they are miles apart. As mentioned go for what you can afford but reading your earlier message I think you already know what you are going to buy :thumbsup:

Is this a lease deal or PCP? If so then you probably won't be allowed to modify the vehicle unless of course you plan to buy it at the end of the term if it's a PCP.

You could always hire one for a week in the summer and see how you get on. It's a big investment to make without even trying one out.

There's no real reason why you can't test drive both vans. I certainly would never buy a vehicle worth more than two pound fifty without test driving it first.

I've just ordered a new Tig without even seeing one, never mind driven one. We do have a 5 year old Tig and have driven the current model a while back, but not a face lift one with the more powerful engine as ordered.

It's a similar car to what we currently have, so I know what to expect. Having said that, I don't remember test driving our current one. Having had a Golf prior to that, they are all much of a muchness. It's not as if it needs a test drive to make sure the wheels aren't going to fall off.

There's no real reason why you can't test drive both vans. I certainly would never buy a vehicle worth more than two pound fifty without test driving it first.
Hi Dave, I understand your perspective but I've ordered a Touareg, Kodiaq and a Cupra ST300 all without test drives so fairly comfortable with it.

Whilst I'd like a proper test drive, on this occasion I'm currently being offered a quick spin round their car park in return for a 5 hour round trip to their dealership. Which is not very appealing especially with a newborn baby in tow.

Is this a lease deal or PCP? If so then you probably won't be allowed to modify the vehicle unless of course you plan to buy it at the end of the term if it's a PCP.

You could always hire one for a week in the summer and see how you get on. It's a big investment to make without even trying one out.
Good point regards modifications, at the moment I'm only planning dealer fit roof rails and the VW tailgate bike rack.

Planning on PCP'ing as I want the security of a GFV. If diesel becomes even more of an outcast over the next 4 years and values tank I'm protected and if not I'll settle the finance and run it for a few more years.

Well, it is important to set oneself boundaries! Good to know that for £2.49.....!

Good point regards modifications, at the moment I'm only planning dealer fit roof rails and the VW tailgate bike rack.

Planning on PCP'ing as I want the security of a GFV. If diesel becomes even more of an outcast over the next 4 years and values tank I'm protected and if not I'll settle the finance and run it for a few more years.
What’s the GFV they’re quoting you? I’m not a fan of PCP as the monthly figure is generally just servicing a loan and an assumed depreciation rate! Deposit + (monthly payment x term) + buyout cost + admin fees = the cost of the van to you. Then again, I’m just an old cynic!!!

There are a couple of 2018 LWB Shuttles on the the VW Approved website for around 25k - might save you a few £££

What’s the GFV they’re quoting you? I’m not a fan of PCP as the monthly figure is generally just servicing a loan and an assumed depreciation rate! Deposit + (monthly payment x term) + buyout cost + admin fees = the cost of the van to you. Then again, I’m just an old cynic!!!
I get you're thinking, I did initially think about buying outright with cash but I see the interest as paying to offset risk if that makes sense. The GFV is between £16 and £17k the 199 model's GFV is only a few hundred more than the 150.

I take your points, to be fair when I test drive a car or van I'm checking the clutch isn't on the way out or other such serious defect, when you're buying a van with 10 miles on the clock that's not an issue.
I'm just more comfortable buying something I've driven, I drove about 300 miles to see my T6 and drove it home that day, but parted with no money until after the test drive then did a bank transfer. And it was a good deal less than £40K.
But I understand why you might find that a bit difficult with a newborn in tow! Life's not so simple when little ones arrive!
Good luck anyway @Myc .

I used to think the same, but on some vehicles it can be cheaper over the term to PCP than it can own the thing outright. With deposit contributions, service plans etc, you need to do sums based on the whole picture.

Granted you don't own it in the traditional sense, but does that matter if you are not keeping it for a very long time?

Reactions: JOG
Back