The sound from the factory fitted speakers in my highline is appalling - what's the most effective way to getting something worth listening to for a smaller amount of cash?

The sound from the factory fitted speakers in my highline is appalling - what's the most effective way to getting something worth listening to for a smaller amount of cash?

Option 1-
Audison AP8 8” door woofers and new tweeters
Wooden collars
In line Kenwood amp
Sound deadening

Option 2-
Our own custom built Active sub woofer,
With separate remote
10” JL Audio sub
300w or 500w version
Allows the doors to play clearer as you can back off the bass going to them

Hi, I dream of one day having one of your "signature" systems, they look amazing! but alas I'm on a tighter budget.
Does the Kenwood DMX7017DABS head unit suffer from this glare issue? I've got one in my caddy and although it's not the quickest thing in the world it does what I need it to do. Much as I'd like a 8180 I can't really justify the extra £450 right now.

My expectation was that I'd need to buy a can bus harness (is it the CTSVW015.2?) for the Kenwood so it becomes plug and play - is this the wiring kit you're referring to in the earlier posts?) and I'll also need a fascia kit to make it look pretty. If I do that and connect it up will I retain the multi functional steering wheel controls? Will it allow me to power it on even when the engine is not running? (On the caddy the Can bus only works if I turn the ignition on and the car is running, it doesn't work when I just have the electrics on, this is no good in a camper).

I'm not sure if my new van already has a DAB radio in, if it does it sounds like the aerial will be in the drivers mirror (and I guess will be connected to the existing stereo) if it doesn't, will the aerial still be there; i.e., do they fit them as standard whether you have DAB or not? I wouldn't have expected them to, but your post earlier seemed to suggest they are.

If the 7017 does suffer the issue over the glare issue/ can't see the screen, what would you recommend (bearing in mind the lower end price bracket?) My only stipulation is DAB and android Auto, it'd be nice to have a CD player, or even better, a SD card slot, but I wouldn't die in a ditch over these features.

I'd be interested in getting prices from you for the bits to fit it all. Could you DM me with the costs and parts please?

I’m afraid nearly all headunits suffer from glare, due to the angle, large windscreen and resistive screens, the only ones that deal with it affectingly are the Alpine X802du, Alpine Halo, Kenwood DNX 8180dab and the best by far in screen res is the Kenwood DNX9190dab

We can supply all the parts to make it plug and play, ie CanBus adapter to retain the mfsw, nice flush fit facia, dab adapter for the mirror aerial, (99% have dab) and the dash usb retention kit

It will not switch on manually but we can supply a simple switch setup so this can be achieved

Do you want a pm for the parts for a 7017 to fit it?

@Absolut5

Hi Jason and Jenny
Hope all well with you guys,

I'm still delighted with my loc8 table mounting Jenny covered
Great Work !

As you remember I'm booked in with you guys to sort my audio out.
The date you gave me was Friday 5th July

BUT I've just realized looking in diary that this is the start of camper Jam !!! and I really wanna be a the Jam on the Friday !

What can you do as far as dates go please Sir

Also I want to Dynamat all the cab floor area ! front arches and steps
How do you feel about me doing as much of this as i can before i come to you ? I realize there is lots to remove from cab to allow you to work your magic !
My plan could be to remove as much as I can and cover as much as I can Leaving the passenger seat and carpet etc out as thinking this would save you guys some time when i get to you then just finish what ever I've not done and but it all back together when finished which im guessing you would do anyway.
I remember you saying you strip it all out anyway and make good the shitty wiring I'm expecting you to find from previous install !!

One other thing
I asked about a remote control for the head unit, I look on Alpine web site and found RUE-4360
As yet i can not get it to work, there may be a setting to enable it berried somewhere but I can not find it ! You know how big that manual is ! lol.
See what your guy says please Sir

Anyway
Many thanks to you for your time reading my rambling
Hope see you all soon as

Romany

I’m afraid nearly all headunits suffer from glare, due to the angle, large windscreen and resistive screens, the only ones that deal with it affectingly are the Alpine X802du, Alpine Halo, Kenwood DNX 8180dab and the best by far in screen res is the Kenwood DNX9190dab

We can supply all the parts to make it plug and play, ie CanBus adapter to retain the mfsw, nice flush fit facia, dab adapter for the mirror aerial, (99% have dab) and the dash usb retention kit

It will not switch on manually but we can supply a simple switch setup so this can be achieved

Do you want a pm for the parts for a 7017 to fit it?

Crikey, I've just looked all of those units up and I just can't justify spending that much on a headunit. I like my sounds, but there is a limit for me (and what I can get past the missus :D) The 7017 I've got in my caddy is essentially a basic amp and dab receiver as all the work is done through my phone on the Android auto.
Thanks so much for the detailed response and your expertise. I'm thinking I might test to see if it's workable for me with the 7017 by taking the one out of my caddy and fitting it to the van for a drive on a sunny day, will the can bus I have for the caddy work in the t6 I only need power so I can test the screen for Sat nav. I don't really use the screen for anything else as I use voice for all other actions.
If it works I'd like to get all the bits from you so a pm with the costs for that would be great please (the bits for the 7017). If it doesn't work glare wise I'll need to have a proper rethink as I can't justify a grand for the head unit and all the bits to make it work/ fit. Thanks so much for your help and expertise!

@Absolut5

Hi Jason and Jenny
Hope all well with you guys,

I'm still delighted with my loc8 table mounting Jenny covered
Great Work !

As you remember I'm booked in with you guys to sort my audio out.
The date you gave me was Friday 5th July

BUT I've just realized looking in diary that this is the start of camper Jam !!! and I really wanna be a the Jam on the Friday !

What can you do as far as dates go please Sir

Also I want to Dynamat all the cab floor area ! front arches and steps
How do you feel about me doing as much of this as i can before i come to you ? I realize there is lots to remove from cab to allow you to work your magic !
My plan could be to remove as much as I can and cover as much as I can Leaving the passenger seat and carpet etc out as thinking this would save you guys some time when i get to you then just finish what ever I've not done and but it all back together when finished which im guessing you would do anyway.
I remember you saying you strip it all out anyway and make good the shitty wiring I'm expecting you to find from previous install !!

One other thing
I asked about a remote control for the head unit, I look on Alpine web site and found RUE-4360
As yet i can not get it to work, there may be a setting to enable it berried somewhere but I can not find it ! You know how big that manual is ! lol.
See what your guy says please Sir

Anyway
Many thanks to you for your time reading my rambling
Hope see you all soon as

Romany

Hi Mate

I think we can squeeze you in on the 3rd instead if that’s ok

You carry on with the sound deadening and we will put it all back together

The remote appears to be the correct one, il have to ask

Crikey, I've just looked all of those units up and I just can't justify spending that much on a headunit. I like my sounds, but there is a limit for me (and what I can get past the missus :D) The 7017 I've got in my caddy is essentially a basic amp and dab receiver as all the work is done through my phone on the Android auto.
Thanks so much for the detailed response and your expertise. I'm thinking I might test to see if it's workable for me with the 7017 by taking the one out of my caddy and fitting it to the van for a drive on a sunny day, will the can bus I have for the caddy work in the t6 I only need power so I can test the screen for Sat nav. I don't really use the screen for anything else as I use voice for all other actions.
If it works I'd like to get all the bits from you so a pm with the costs for that would be great please (the bits for the 7017). If it doesn't work glare wise I'll need to have a proper rethink as I can't justify a grand for the head unit and all the bits to make it work/ fit. Thanks so much for your help and expertise!

We supply many 7017s for the T6, and most put up with it as nearly all headunits are affected,

What age is your Caddy?

Hi Mate

I think we can squeeze you in on the 3rd instead if that’s ok

You carry on with the sound deadening and we will put it all back together

The remote appears to be the correct one, il have to ask

Mint
Many Thanks Sir

The caddy is a on an 11 plate. It's a maxi life if it makes a different.
I'm probably thinking a little too lightly here, but is there some sort of screen protector I could stick on that helps the glare? Given what you've said I reckon there is a strong chance I go for the 7017.
My immediate need is really for dab radio (already fitted) visible sat nav (could get a separate unit to work with the existing head unit or get a phone mount) but I also want to use voice to dial out voice calls, or to listen to and respond to a text message, or to change the music, so for all the voice I expect my only option is an android auto unit.
Now in the future I'd like to sound deaden and upgrade speakers, but I'm going to end up doing in chunks.

Last edited:
Is there any insight as to where head units are going tech wise? I can see them becoming just an amp with a radio and a connection for a tablet, people will then use car play or Android auto on the tablet. The tablet will either have a sim or could connect with your phone for an internet connection. Just wondering if this approach is around as it would mean you could upgrade by changing your tablet and glare wouldn't be an issue as you could angle it how you like.

The caddy is a on an 11 plate. It's a maxi life if it makes a different.
I'm probably thinking a little too lightly here, but is there some sort of screen protector I could stick on that helps the glare? Given what you've said I reckon there is a strong chance I go for the 7017.
My immediate need is really for dab radio (already fitted) visible sat nav (could get a separate unit to work with the existing head unit or get a phone mount) but I also want to use voice to dial out voice calls, or to listen to and respond to a text message, or to change the music, so for all the voice I expect my only option is an android auto unit.
Now in the future I'd like to sound deaden and upgrade speakers, but I'm going to end up doing in chunks.

Try the 7017 in the T6, you will just need a few parts to install it, new loom, dab aerial adapter and usb retention kit, a facia if you decide to go for a flush fit one

Is there any insight as to where head units are going tech wise? I can see them becoming just an amp with a radio and a connection for a tablet, people will then use car play or Android auto on the tablet. The tablet will either have a sim or could connect with your phone for an internet connection. Just wondering if this approach is around as it would mean you could upgrade by changing your tablet and glare wouldn't be an issue as you could angle it how you like.

Not really as most vehicles now have a tablet design built in, so purchasing a headunit will be a thing of the past

Not really as most vehicles now have a tablet design built in, so purchasing a headunit will be a thing of the past
We just need the major manufacturers to step up a bit and improve the factory fit equipment !

I appreciate you may not be happy to answer this one as it's outside of what I understand you do, but just in case :) I'm now contemplating using the factory fit DAB unit and just connecting a 7in samsung tablet to the line in. I'd expect to have all the android auto stuff I want (voice control for nav, calls, text, music) on a screen I can place wherever it doesn't glare. I was then thinking I could spend the money "saved" (I'm using man maths here :) ) on speaker upgrades, sound deadening and possibly a small amp like the alpine KTP445U (with the expectation that it will improve the sound clarity).
- I could plug the tablet into the amp directly using RCA, but I'm not sure if I could also have the headunit radio running through the amp then and I like the idea of volume control through the original unit (but not wedded to it). Would it be better/ is it possible to get them both running through the amp separately?
- If I use the headphone socket to go out to the RCA or line into the headunit, how would I connect a mic? I thought there would be some nice bluetooth ones, but they all seem to have a cable or be a headset. I was hoping to just have a USB power to it and bluetooth connection. I assume I can't use a microphone connected to the headunit to work with the tablet as I don't expect any out from the line in.
- I'm also assuming I'd set up my phone as a hotspot in the car rather than having to physically tether the phone to the tablet via the mini USB, would that work? If so I guess that gives me the mini USB to play with connection wise and I could run the sound out of that, possibly even through a small DAC for quality. I'm expecting to need it to charge the unit too. Any thoughts around this?

As I say, my aim is so I can get the functionality without the glare and have money left over to spend on speakers and deadening. Any thoughts on all/ any the above of things I haven't thought about would be hugely appreciated

Done the InfoAdapter, GPS and microphone. How do you get the USB fascia plate off?

A plastic trim tool is needed to pop it out, if it will not pop out, then take top pocket out then you can easily remove it,

To take top pocket out (standard dash) remove glove box, look up you will see 1 screw, remove

Pop the end air vent out, and the trim around the radio, then give it a good tug towards you

I appreciate you may not be happy to answer this one as it's outside of what I understand you do, but just in case :) I'm now contemplating using the factory fit DAB unit and just connecting a 7in samsung tablet to the line in. I'd expect to have all the android auto stuff I want (voice control for nav, calls, text, music) on a screen I can place wherever it doesn't glare. I was then thinking I could spend the money "saved" (I'm using man maths here :) ) on speaker upgrades, sound deadening and possibly a small amp like the alpine KTP445U (with the expectation that it will improve the sound clarity).
- I could plug the tablet into the amp directly using RCA, but I'm not sure if I could also have the headunit radio running through the amp then and I like the idea of volume control through the original unit (but not wedded to it). Would it be better/ is it possible to get them both running through the amp separately?
- If I use the headphone socket to go out to the RCA or line into the headunit, how would I connect a mic? I thought there would be some nice bluetooth ones, but they all seem to have a cable or be a headset. I was hoping to just have a USB power to it and bluetooth connection. I assume I can't use a microphone connected to the headunit to work with the tablet as I don't expect any out from the line in.
- I'm also assuming I'd set up my phone as a hotspot in the car rather than having to physically tether the phone to the tablet via the mini USB, would that work? If so I guess that gives me the mini USB to play with connection wise and I could run the sound out of that, possibly even through a small DAC for quality. I'm expecting to need it to charge the unit too. Any thoughts around this?

As I say, my aim is so I can get the functionality without the glare and have money left over to spend on speakers and deadening. Any thoughts on all/ any the above of things I haven't thought about would be hugely appreciated

What factory headunit is it? Does it have the 3.5mm socket along with the usb in the dash?

It’s not very easy to have 2 sources going into one amp. As both use different voltages etc so the amp will be set as a compromise, then there’s noise issues that creep in

It’s not something we get involved with to be honest..with headunits like the Alpine Halo and with so many smart phones with large screens, being used as sat nav, and allows music collection to be controlled via Bluetooth, even on the basic headunits there is such little call for it,

Thanks so much for the response! I'm not sure on the headunit as I don't get the van for 3 weeks and I didn't note it down when I saw it as I expected to just swap it out for the kenwood. I'm expecting a line in at the back of the headunit and was just going to pass a cable through the dash neatly to that, then having a full sized screen I can tilt as required, but with the full android auto functionality on it.
Thanks for the amp details, that was my expectation, i.e., that I would line into the headunit with the tablet and then have an amp between the headunit and speakers.
I think the real test here is for me to find if a tablet will run android auto like the headunits do; i.e., so the screen is the same as you get on a headunit, connects to the web via a hotspot for the voice, etc. to work... and then work on the connectivity; i.e., line in and find a microphone that will connect wirelessly to the tablet. If I can do this then it's a £100 cost to get all I want and I can spend the rest of my budget on deadening and speakers, maybe the amp... plus I get all the flexibility and ease of upgrade that comes with a separate tablet. I can't really see why people will continue to spend £400+ on a headunit when they are so used to tablets and like me would rather spend the budget on speakers, etc. I think in a couple of years headunits will have changed significantly as a result... but then again, I don't drive the industry :) I'll let you know how I get on.

I am looking at upgrading my head unit in my T6 to the Alpine X802-DU or the Kenwood DNX9190dab, I would like the Absolut5 signature package too.
Any prices available on this package.

Back