Kenwood DMX9720XDS 10.1" Head unit fitted myself

JTT6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I thought I would do a little post about fitting my new head unit, replacing a broken discover media system.
It's fairly new to the market and not seen one in a T6 yet, so thought people may be interested.

All of the bits were supplied by the fantastic guys at @Absolut5 and I fitted it myself because I wanted to get it in quick and have no patience!
They supplied the dash adapters and looms to make it plug and play and retain steering controls and the dash USB socket.
I've done a fair few bits on the van now and compared to other jobs it was pretty straightforward to fit.

Overall I am blown away by the quality and control you have over the sound system. See the setup page in the pics.
I have a set of Audison 6x9s expertly installed in the rear panels by @BognorMotors and they have really come to life now.

The next step is changing the door speakers and a adding small amp to run the 4 speakers, then possibly a sub at some point....

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

That is such a cool head unit. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh and installing one ourselves.

I can’t make my mind up on these, I do like the oem look of my 9190, but I’m always drawn to other styles and gadgets.

I thought I would do a little post about fitting my new head unit, replacing a broken discover media system.
It's fairly new to the market and not seen one in a T6 yet, so thought people may be interested.

All of the bits were supplied by the fantastic guys at @Absolut5 and I fitted it myself because I wanted to get it in quick and have no patience!
They supplied the dash adapters and looms to make it plug and play and retain steering controls and the dash USB socket.
I've done a fair few bits on the van now and compared to other jobs it was pretty straightforward to fit.

Overall I am blown away by the quality and control you have over the sound system. See the setup page in the pics.
I have a set of Audison 6x9s expertly installed in the rear panels by @BognorMotors and they have really come to life now.

The next step is changing the door speakers and a adding small amp to run the 4 speakers, then possibly a sub at some point....

View attachment 98941

View attachment 98942

View attachment 98943

View attachment 98944
Does it integrate with the MFD to show you who’s calling/ what’s playing etc?

Does it integrate with the MFD to show you who’s calling/ what’s playing etc?
I had to just check but it just reads Apple Carplay on the dash. The screen is so big I don't find myself missing the extra info inside the steering wheel though..

@JTT6 how do you think it’s better than the standard system?
its a totally different system and I think better in every way
- wireless Carplay is brilliant
- Screen is huge and crystal clear
- equaliser is unbelievably customisable and even the stock speakers sound so much better than before
- screen is big enough that I just leave it on the home screen showing navigation and Spotify most the time which looks great
- adding a dedicated mic by the rearview mirror makes phone calls so clear
There are other aftermarket options that give similar features but compared to the stock its night and day difference.
The main reason I went with this model, in the end, is it was one of the only ones that has a rotary knob which I use all the time.

View attachment 98941

View attachment 98942

View attachment 98943

View attachment 98944
Looks lovely hope Kenwood have sorted out there dust issue with this unit ? It looks very recent so I guess they would have .

That looks awesome OP. I was thinking of an upgrade to the Alpine Halo 904, the one with built in nav, this one looks like a next gen to the Alpine. :D:thumbsup:

View attachment 98941

View attachment 98942

View attachment 98943

View attachment 98944
Hi did you kit a camera to this?

Thinking of getting the same model myself - so you've got the Dash USB point connected to this directly? What about HDMI port - is it on the rear?? - what are the covers on the main dash head unit [behind the screen] covering (if that's what they are)??

Back