Ps...davanti tyres...are a rebranded Chinese tyre ( comes with free corona...oops )
wont be buying
I've been running Event Potentum uhp's and very impressed with them.
Cheap summer tyre that is good in the wet. They were shocking in the 1 day of snow we have had but that could be down to the massively wide 275 tyre width causing most the problem.
I wont have that luxury,so I need a tyre that is a good all rounder.....also need to take into consideration the alloy size if the bigger ones are bad in winter....I am looking at 18s

Yeah Michelin cross climates is what our vans have I believe nokian are pretty good too. Try camskill and pnues websites. Never had any issues with my cross climates.

I dont doubt the Nokian Weatherproofs capabilities, but compared to the other 3 tyres I've run on the van so far, I find them a bit on the noisy side. Despite their low noise rating. Albeit I think the noise rating is an external test.

I dont doubt the Nokian Weatherproofs capabilities, but compared to the other 3 tyres I've run on the van so far, I find them a bit on the noisy side. Despite their low noise rating. Albeit I think the noise rating is an external test.
evening mate what have you run on yours then,which would you recommend

evening mate what have you run on yours then,which would you recommend

The Nokian is the only all season tyre I've had. The others have either been summer or full winter. I've also run 3 different sizes. So in terms of noise, I'm not able to recommend a specific all season myself. Also, theres obviously more critical aspects to a tyres performance, than how noisy it is.

Just an observation though, the Nokians seem to be regarded highly in many areas, including wear. It's just a personal theory, but perhaps the harder compound of the Nokian all season, combined with the quite wide gaps in the lateral tread, useful for packing winter snow, but maybe not conducive to a quiet tyre. But as always, it's about all round compromises. I reckon I'll get this summer and next winter out of the Nokians but after that, I'll be reverting back to dedicated winter and summer tyres.

Found this test review. Wasnt carried out on a van but maybe a starter for 10. However, the results seem to concur with my view on the Nokian being noisy.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-2019-results-by-category

I’ve tried all sorts but after 80,000 miles in 2.1/2 years I find General Altimax and think they work well for me and my style of driving, fast and breaking hard lol.

Quite grippy too and they are a subsidiary of Continental.

So just to restart this thread, I converted my T6 to 18" wheels and at the same time put Nokian 235/55/18s on. Had them on over winter and they were fine, but noticed quite a drop in mpg.

My question is how much is this down to the tyre and how much is down to the 18" wheel?

Just about to drive to the Pyrenees and it got me thinking - if it's the tyre, would it be worth swapping for something more economical? But Nokians are an all-season tyre, so swapping them off in summer seems like an extra faff.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

So just to restart this thread, I converted my T6 to 18" wheels and at the same time put Nokian 235/55/18s on. Had them on over winter and they were fine, but noticed quite a drop in mpg.

My question is how much is this down to the tyre and how much is down to the 18" wheel?

Just about to drive to the Pyrenees and it got me thinking - if it's the tyre, would it be worth swapping for something more economical? But Nokians are an all-season tyre, so swapping them off in summer seems like an extra faff.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Hi.... larger wheels/tyres will add weight and more road resistance hence more fuel..however once you do over 60mph or so the resistance/drag is reduced so better mpg....More tread on the road will better stability .but correct tyre pressure can also influence mpg
but if your touring and you carry more weight that to will influence mpg....in an ideal scenario it’s the break even point at a given speed that gives the best mpg ( motorways).... All season would be for me the best way to go....but bear in mind that tyre construction will effect things like noise
As far as being economical ...it’s only a few £££.....your don’t by a T6 to save money :laugh::laugh:

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I ran 20inch 265/40s good year eagle f1s to Cornwall,
And then 18inch steels 235/60/18 on cross climates and got the same mpg

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I swapped my Clayton 16 inch alloys and commercial tyres for the Nokians in the same size as yours and I reckon I lost 5 mpg, driving exactly the same.
I asked myself the same question, if I'd used another brand of tyre would the result have been the same?
Fortunately I'm so impressed with the Nokians in every other way, it'll be another set of them going on when these are done.

Remember you need to adjust your calculations on mpg. Your effectively covering the same mileage but with less wheel rotation due to the slightly larger rolling circumference.

Time is approaching to replace my tyres on the factory 17" Devonports - currently fitted with Goodyear Cargo Vector 2's

My proposed replacements:
  • Nokian Weatherproof (£100)
  • Continental All Season (£120)
  • Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 (£140)
I'm looking for longevity and quietness, plus the benefits that an all season tyre provides. The Nokian and Conti are SUV tyres in 235/55/17 the Goodyear is Van rated and 215/60/17 all are load rated for a T32.

Advice and opinions welcomed.

TIA Paul

Back