AdBlue Discussion and Issues

It's a bit unpredictable to say the least.
Mine was showing 3500 miles then suddenly dropped to about 1400 and started moaning at me.
My advise is to get topped up before any major trip - we had a bit of a nightmare finding any in France and when I did, it was 1.5 litres at €10.99!!

Four services in a row had none from Ile de Re back to Britanny; but saw loads in Spain.

No point taking the risk; top up much more cheaply, safely and conveniently at an AdBlue pump.
Having seen the stuff almost instantly crystallize on our paintwork (that was with a proper sealed container; still dropped) I'd use a pump over self fill all day every day.

Lol nah clear.. One tip though, buy the cans in the shop, from the bottom at the back, as not meant to be stored in sunlight...... BTW its synthetic urea (piddle).... And no you can't just piddle in the tank, its highly refined, and everything needs to be kept clean...

But I run a eu5..

Lol nah clear.. One tip though, buy the cans in the shop, from the bottom at the back, as not meant to be stored in sunlight...... BTW its synthetic urea (piddle).... And no you can't just piddle in the tank, its highly refined, and everything needs to be kept clean...

But I run a eu5..
And I run an EU6 and speak from experience... :whistle: ;)

And I run an EU6 and speak from experience... :whistle: ;)

Four trips from Calais to Brittany down the Route National and back this year, dropping into the services on way there and back.. Think I can say the same to a degree.. :whistle:;):sleep::sleep: can't speak for further down the road though..

So you stopped at EVERY service station from Normandy to Calais? Do you need the loo quite often or something? ;)

Whereas I stopped at four in a row (also tried supermarkets with fuel, even a repair garage) and only found rip off 1.5 litre bottles; and there were only two left.

I've had a dealer top us up (very expensive), used a bottle (messy, no idea how it's been stored, etc, extortionate) and used a pump (easy, clean, very cheap).

I'd say don't rely on getting some easily; top up before you go. I can't see any reason not to heed that advise.

So you stopped at EVERY service station from Normandy to Calais? Do you need the loo quite often or something? ;)

Whereas I stopped at four in a row (also tried supermarkets with fuel, even a repair garage) and only found rip off 1.5 litre bottles; and there were only two left.

I've had a dealer top us up (very expensive), used a bottle (messy, no idea how it's been stored, etc, extortionate) and used a pump (easy, clean, very cheap).

I'd say don't rely on getting some easily; top up before you go. I can't see any reason not to heed that advise.

No I don't need the loo, just stop frequently due to health reasons.. Over the trips I've covered down the same stretch I've made a point of using every services but not necessarily in a row.. Easily found it off route at my folks place as well.. BTW BRITTANY is not in Normandy, but yes.. also, making sure that you have enough fluids like fuel or it's additive for your trip is a sensible thing that is taken as read anyway..

The get out of jail card, is if in problems, call vw assist who will give you the location of the nearest VW dealer who will have it, for you to pump into your satnav..

Last edited:
the supermarkets also have it that I have used (SuperU), it's in the car isle of the main building.. They also sell oil filters and spark plugs etc etc etc...

the supermarkets also have it that I have used (SuperU), it's in the car isle of the main building.. They also sell oil filters and spark plugs etc etc etc...
Not the three we tried - all big ones. But yes all had other car parts/accessories.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I expected it to be easy to get hold of. It wasn't and that led to a bit of a panic about running out which wasn't ideal. So top up before any big trip from a garage that has a pump; just find one en route to the ferry port if needed.
It's not worth the hassle or the total rip off relying on garage forecourts and/or supermarkets.

Not the three we tried - all big ones. But yes all had other car parts/accessories.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I expected it to be easy to get hold of. It wasn't and that led to a bit of a panic about running out which wasn't ideal. So top up before any big trip from a garage that has a pump; just find one en route to the ferry port if needed.
It's not worth the hassle or the total rip off relying on garage forecourts and/or supermarkets.

Don't need to agree to disagree.. I don't know where you were, but I know what I've seen, and where I've been.. Also got a pic of a whole stack of the stuff to prove I wasn't dreaming........ Thank you for apologising about questioning my needs to stop btw!

Don't need to agree to disagree.. I don't know where you were, but I know what I've seen, and where I've been.. Also got a pic of a whole stack of the stuff to prove I wasn't dreaming........ Thank you for apologising about questioning my needs to stop btw!
Yes and I have also seen places selling "stacks" of 10L containers but not on this recent trip in France.
But I agree I should have apologised about the stopping thing - so I apologise for not apologising.

On a lighter note, we had a Wagamamas the night before we left near the ferry port. I had the mega hot Firecracker. All was fine until the next day (I randomly react pretty badly to chilli and generally seem to have a rather troublesome digestion system; no idea why) when driving towards the South. Suddenly there were no services anywhere and I was picturing an emergency stop on the road. But just as I thought a grenade had gone off in my gut and I started a proper cold sweat, one appeared. A literally ran to the loos and just made it. The entire region was then evacuated and a National State of Emergency was called.

I made one of those sentences up...

Last edited:
Possibly a silly question but....... do all T6s need Adblue? Or just the more powerful ones?

I have a 102 bluemotion. I've not seen anything about Adblue when I've been tinkering.

Possibly a silly question but....... do all T6s need Adblue? Or just the more powerful ones?

I have a 102 bluemotion. I've not seen anything about Adblue when I've been tinkering.
Only Euro six ones which is mostly the slightly newer ones; 150, 204 but also some of the 102s and 85s.
You can't miss the filler cap below the fuel one!

Interestingly my 150 was showing 4500 miles range on the adblue when I picked it up. When I had managed to put a1000 miles on the clock it changed up to 5000miles? Just watching to see what happens next...
I picked mine up 3 weeks ago with a 2500 mile range, but it's now gone up to 5500 miles. I'm interested to know what happened to yours

Back