AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Morning all..

I’m having ongoing problems with the EGR valve on my MY18 204ps tdi. Just for a bit of background, I use my kombi everyday and it does plenty of long journeys with my heavy foot.

I’ve had the yellow eml light come on three times since I bought the van in September last year. Each time I’ve had vw assist out and the van has gone into the dealers. The fault code is always P0401.

The van has had an EGR flush in Dec 18, Feb 19 and June 19. Surely this isn’t acceptable and the dealer should be changing the valve? I’m interested to hear where other members have had their EGR replaced? I have also opened up a case with VWCV customer care for what it’s worth..

View attachment 45647
Hi how is the EGR going. I getting issues the same as you and have been doing long journeys. I would appreciate your experience to date please. Mine just been into VW under warranty for a flush and replacement pipe. Apparently it's an on going issue.

Cheers @Dellmassive currently monitoring the situation, I’m in warranty till Feb 2021 if I need to put more pressure on them when the fault occurs again.

@Dieseldonkey the dealers have a machine that they hook up to the egr, I believe it’s similar to the terraclean method. This is done without removing the EGR, each time the EGR pipe at the front of the engine bay is replaced along with the the bolts/gaskets.

Pipe in question;

View attachment 45777
Sorry just seen this and this is exactly what VW are going to mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Chiphil200 no further issues to date, I changed the dealer that I took the van to. It’s gone more time/miles than it usually does between a flush so perhaps they did something different, or did it properly..

Hi all, I am due to pick up my first T6 on Saturday, a 2016 T32 Kombi that has been tarted up very tasefully ;-) Whilst browsing a T6 related Facebook page I came across someone who had bought theirs from the same dealer as me and had an EGR fault show up, then on the same thread someone else said they had the same issue from the same dealer. I am not mechanically minded, so what can I get or ask of the dealer about this and what would it mean if I found the same issue? As it's 2016 it won't have the VW warranty. Thanks for any advice

EGR's are a bit of a weak point, although mine has been ok, but I know of several people that have had issues with them.

Every vehicle has its own 'achilles heel/s', with a T6 it's generally the EGR, EGR pipe and DPF.

I'm not sure if an aftermarket warranty covers any of these issues, but might be worth asking your dealer.

I was a Master tech in VW group dealership(Skoda). This was some years ago now and EGR wasn't quite the issue it seems to be now! I bought a high miles Caddy a few years ago and had the EGR valve fail. The repair wasn't cheap as genuine valves aren't! The repair was done by a mate of mine as I'm no longer in the trade, his advice to me was..."Avoid supermarket diesel (this is advice I received at VW training way back) and alternate tanks of fuel between standard and the "Super"types. I do this now on all my diesel vehicles.

With regards aftermarket warranties.....They'll either specifically not cover EGR and/or DPF...or....do their utmost to avoid paying the repair! Most aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Hello guys got me nearly new t6 year old.
Payed for it vw show room happy. 5 miles down the road adblue light came on. Took van back today thought. Well 5 mins they top it up and we be on the way. No! Keeping van doing update. Now reading horror stories. They are saying it's a new one on them
What do you think it is and what do I do?
Going back in morning need help please
Thanks alan

Hello guys got me nearly new t6 year old.
Payed for it vw show room happy. 5 miles down the road adblue light came on. Took van back today thought. Well 5 mins they top it up and we be on the way. No! Keeping van doing update. Now reading horror stories. They are saying it's a new one on them
What do you think it is and what do I do?
Going back in morning need help please
Thanks alan
Hi had something similar with adblue about 6 months ago all ok now ....if it was over filled it can knock the sensor out ( they drain a bit and do software reset) there has been cases of the system playing up due to cheaper adblue crystalising in top of the tank as it sloshing around ..so as long as you don’t over fill and use good quality stuff it looks after its self.....but would let them know ur unhappy and if it was a genuine update why wasn’t done prior to delivery...I’ve had a few free bits by way of compo ;)

Had the same problem, took it to vw teeside they did a reset had coffee biscuits and a good chat they did a courtesy inspection as well so far no more problems

Update... eml back on this afternoon on the way home from work. Read the codes with Carista and it’s my old friend P0401 EGR flow insufficient. The van has done 5k miles since the last flush in January. I’ve had a good chat with my service manager regarding replacing the valve and cooler, they’re taking it up with VW, I already have a case open with VW customer “care”. Van booked in on Thursday...

@Chiphil200 have you had any further issues? Totally fed up with mine.
Hi I’ve a T6 102 and I’m fed up with my van it’s just been again 4 flushings from new only done 30,000 miles
it’s out of warranty in November 2020 and I don’t want the hassle of every 6-8000 miles or less
the EML light coming on and EGR FLUSH Needed VW don’t care they are just stringing us all out till warranty
has expired then it will be ohh you need a new EGR £1500 please .??
I don’t want this hassle so going to reluctantly sell my Kombi it’s a beautiful van
but can do without this hassle at under 3 year old
so-your not alone My friend I feel like I’m been forced into letting van go as vw don’t care
so I hope I haven’t spoiled your views on owning a vw van thanks Royboy

Hi I’ve a T6 102 and I’m fed up with my van it’s just been again 4 flushings from new only done 30,000 miles
it’s out of warranty in November 2020 and I don’t want the hassle of every 6-8000 miles or less
the EML light coming on and EGR FLUSH Needed VW don’t care they are just stringing us all out till warranty
has expired then it will be ohh you need a new EGR £1500 please .??
I don’t want this hassle so going to reluctantly sell my Kombi it’s a beautiful van
but can do without this hassle at under 3 year old
so-your not alone My friend I feel like I’m been forced into letting van go as vw don’t care
so I hope I haven’t spoiled your views on owning a vw van thanks Royboy

the EML has just come on my 2016 T28, EGR low pressure code, seen 3prices of cooler/valves from £450 -£600 , it's a hour at most to change it out , anyone quoting me £1500 for supply/fit will be politely told where to go ..... ;-)

the EML has just come on my 2016 T28, EGR low pressure code, seen 3prices of cooler/valves from £450 -£600 , it's a hour at most to change it out , anyone quoting me £1500 for supply/fit will be politely told where to go ..... ;-)
On the bi turbo 204ps it’s quite a big job to swap the egr and cooler. Depends which engine you have.

On the bi turbo 204ps it’s quite a big job to swap the egr and cooler. Depends which engine you have.

I imagine it is on that engine, but as RoyBoy states, he has a T6 102, i.e. the 2.0 102hp , same engine as mine ....

It's pretty straightforward to access on these engines. I've changed out a lot worse :)

Hi
you guys you state £400-£600 for cooler valves is this the EGR valve I keep having too get flushed at VW dealers?

the price of £1500 is a gestimate that VW assist told me when he came too give van it’s SICK NOTE
and yes mine is 2017 2.0 - 102
As said nice van this EGR is doing my head in
vw don’t care and running out of warranty in November don’t want too be spending £4-600 quid every 6-8000 miles on new parts

I’m sure there is some very clever guys out there who can side swipe or fix this carbon issues on this T6 engine
I gut feeling vw are leaving us too end of line just waiting for the big pay off when you have no options left

thanks for support you guys
all the best
Royboy

Aside from VW not fixing their poor EGR design.
Has anybody installed an additional crankcase vapour oil separator between the PCV and induction to remove the majority of oil vapour before it gets burnt in the engine and causes more soot and EGR blockage?
I have been running one on an old A4 TDI for about 6 years now due to excessive oil carry over in the blow by gases, it removes some nasty sludge instead of putting it back through the induction causing more soot. Note that this a 20 year old engine and it’s worn as to be expected.
My 2016 MY 180ps Euro5 doesn’t appear to consume any oil, not sure if that’s the same with the Euro6 models?

Back