2017 204 oil consumption issues [Resolved]

EGR and Ad Blue delete. Not sure on DPF.. Think I read you shouldn't play around with the DPF.
That was my belief too. DPF isn't too problematic in itself and removal can cause MOT fail and other issues.

Like I say though, the independent VW place near me reckons they won't entertain the EGR removal while keeping the DPF in place.

Not sure which way to go on this.

Definitely keen to hear of other's experiences.

That was my belief too. DPF isn't too problematic in itself and removal can cause MOT fail and other issues.

Like I say though, the independent VW place near me reckons they won't entertain the EGR removal while keeping the DPF in place.

Not sure which way to go on this.

Definitely keen to hear of other's experiences.
Darkside won’t do an EGR delete without a DPF delete.
I’m about 5000 miles on from my EGR only delete and have been monitoring my dpf state and regens since. No noticeable change detected. Regens are about every 160 miles with shorter journeys and about 250 miles on long trips.
Recently passed its MOT No probs.

Key question here. When getting the EGR blanked and mapped out, do you also need to get the DPF removed?

Local garage I've spoken to says you can't do the EGR without also deleting the DPF.

The chap Im dealing with is coding out the EGR and adblue. DPF is remaining, as so many have pointed out, DPF delete is an MOT failure. A missing one is an easy spot for the tester.

The guy I’ve approached for the map has clients with the EGR/adblue delete and the dpf remaining, still doing a regen every 200-250 miles so leaving it put doesn’t appear to be a problem.

The chap Im dealing with is coding out the EGR and adblue. DPF is remaining, as so many have pointed out, DPF delete is an MOT failure. A missing one is an easy spot for the tester.

The guy I’ve approached for the map has clients with the EGR/adblue delete and the dpf remaining, still doing a regen every 200-250 miles so leaving it put doesn’t appear to be a problem.
Ditto.

Looked for videos and pictures where to place the EGR blanking plates.. Just got them through the post.. Any links please.
The EGR blanking plates could be placed at either end of the EGR pipes but it you want the best protection against a split pipe they should be placed so that the pipes are isolated along with the EGR unit.

The EGR blanking plates could be placed at either end of the EGR pipes but it you want the best protection against a split pipe they should be placed so that the pipes are isolated along with the EGR unit.
Mmmmm, thank you DXX. Will find out when I look under the bonnet and it doesn't make sense, lol...

I have a 204 CEXB 4motion Caravelle 17 plate 58k and need to top up with a litre of oil every 3k. Is this a sign that I have an issue or should I just accept that this is the amount of oil the engine consumes. I love the van/mpv and don't want to sell it but if this is a sign that something major is starting to fail then may hand is forced to get rid. Full VW service history with no mention of any EGR replacement.

I have a 204 CEXB 4motion Caravelle 17 plate 58k and need to top up with a litre of oil every 3k. Is this a sign that I have an issue or should I just accept that this is the amount of oil the engine consumes. I love the van/mpv and don't want to sell it but if this is a sign that something major is starting to fail then may hand is forced to get rid. Full VW service history with no mention of any EGR replacement.

New behaviour or has it always done this?

Ours does about the same and has done for the two years since we've had it. I believe it falls into the 'normal but annoying' sort of range for this engine.

For what it's worth, I'd keep an eye on it and see if it worsens further before making a decision.

New behaviour or has it always done this?

Ours does about the same and has done for the two years since we've had it. I believe it falls into the 'normal but annoying' sort of range for this engine.

For what it's worth, I'd keep an eye on it and see if it worsens further before making a decision.
Thanks for the reply. Only purchased this March. It has pulled our 900Kg Opus camper on a few long journeys which probably doesn't help with the consumption. And I do tend to drive it like a car!

Thanks for the reply. Only purchased this March. It has pulled our 900Kg Opus camper on a few long journeys which probably doesn't help with the consumption. And I do tend to drive it like a car!

That's manadatory. The joy of he T6 is being able to drive it like a car! Hence the horrific rate I go through front tyres.....

Sooo...It looks like my 17 plate T6 204 might need a new engine(!) It's been drinking oil at an accelerated rate and failed my local VW dealership garage "oil consumption rate" test. I took it to an independent garage to be looked at today. They are recommending a new engine. Which to put it mildly is annoying. 70,000 miles its not what I'd call a bargain amount of miles on the clock. I'm gonna go back to the dealership to try and see if I can get any VW goodwill on the work. I know there have been a few others with this issue and I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a FB group that has dealt with this issue and might be able to help me with some info. I'm out of warrantee and getting a good will payment out of VW would make it a lot easier to swallow. Or if anybody else has any experience of this issue at all any advice would be gratefully appreciated! I've yet to have conversations with the mechanic but hopefully I'll have his take on it soon...

Sorry to hear htis mate, that is a massive pain.

Have they identified the actual point of failure on your engine (where the oil is going and why/how the damage has occured)?

Sooo...It looks like my 17 plate T6 204 might need a new engine(!) It's been drinking oil at an accelerated rate and failed my local VW dealership garage "oil consumption rate" test. I took it to an independent garage to be looked at today. They are recommending a new engine. Which to put it mildly is annoying. 70,000 miles its not what I'd call a bargain amount of miles on the clock. I'm gonna go back to the dealership to try and see if I can get any VW goodwill on the work. I know there have been a few others with this issue and I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a FB group that has dealt with this issue and might be able to help me with some info. I'm out of warrantee and getting a good will payment out of VW would make it a lot easier to swallow. Or if anybody else has any experience of this issue at all any advice would be gratefully appreciated! I've yet to have conversations with the mechanic but hopefully I'll have his take on it soon...
If you are paying and down South, talk to Retro Resus

Sorry to hear htis mate, that is a massive pain.

Have they identified the actual point of failure on your engine (where the oil is going and why/how the damage has occured)?
Actually not yet. According to the independent, it isn't the turbo failing so the oil is likely being burned in the engine somewhere. They'd need to take the engine apart to fault diagnose. My local VW dealership - who did the oil consumption rate test - has been a bit unreliable (multiple examples, I can't be bothered go into it) so I went to my favoured independent garage who checked it over and said it's very likely the engine. As I said I'll go back to VW now - I kept it polite so I didn't burn any bridges. They can do more diagnosis to confirm it is the engine. Then I want to have a conversation with VW customer service themselves and discuss why this has happened multiple times in the 204. I'll see if I can get a goodwill payment if I need it - hence me asking for info from people who have been through similar...

compression test been done? . . . . to test cylinder bore wear?

or is this just based on sump oil level dropping?

Back