2017 204 oil consumption issues [Resolved]

Compression test before you do anything. If its good I have heard/read 204 BiTDI's have issues with oil control rings

So I'm finally getting the van in for further tests after it failed it's oil consumption tests. It's slow progress with my local dealership(!) Thanks for the advice on getting a compression test. I'll make sure that happens. Does anybody have any further advice? Also if anyone who managed to get a goodwill payment from VW towards an engine replacement (should it come to that) reads this, I'd love to learn how you went about getting that. Thanks all

I finally got a better compression test out of my 180 BiTDI and it was giving a very good reading, I bet mine is oil control rings. Either way I guess I need a new engine sometime

I have an oil leak from my turbo into my dpf, so need to get this even too, it’s going in for a VW service this month in Glasgow. I have around 48k on it now and it’s an early 204 dsg shuttle from late 2015. I’ve never had problems with oil consumption until recently. I got my dpf cleaned and it was this guy who said it was oil leaking from the Turbo causing the issue with the dpf clogging up the carbon deposits.

Question is if I now delete the EGR valve etc when get the Turbo issue sorted will that create less issues for me in the future? I’ve had the bus since early 2017 and it only had 2k miles on it when I bought it from VW dealership in Croydon, it has had full VWSH so has been well looked after.

New record for mine is 3 litres of oil in 1000 miles! I have been reading through with interest, I have a 2017 204ps from new and have a full VW service, everything they have suggested has been done on the dot at great expense, for the last 90k miles(ish) has used on average 1 litre / 1000 miles which they said is fine. Now at 170k, just done a 1k run over a couple of days and so far have topped up with 3 litres of oil. At full throttle acceleration is stop/start like boost drops in/out, overall pickup is definitely slower, goes into limp (latest fuel/system low pressure) but as you all seem to say no smoke. Not sure what to do, spend over £5k on it in last few months, book price £8k apparently. Should have ditched it at the warranty period. If this is a known potential recall candidate won't be too happy.

Its amazing it still runs. How is the dpf regens?

RE: book price, all I know is if I tried to buy a 2017 Caravelle dsg 4 motion it would cost a lot more than £8k, if it was I would buy one tomorrow. I know yours is not necessarily a Caravelle but you get my drift. For me its what it is worth to me. My 2014 in not ULEZ so a little bit of a pita (but we have a EV as a main car so not big deal), but to replace it I would need c£30k for a better Caravelle, and that on top of the £10k+ mine is worth with a buggered engine. Not that anyone would notice until they ran it for a while...

I have a 180 BiTDI, just shy of 140k miles one business owner before me, full VW service history. DPF and a blocked EGR in Spring. Everything mechanically except the engine is tip-top (by me and Retro Resus). Starts brilliantly, runs well, in fact goes really well and feels the same as my mates 180 with 30k on the clock, compression is good and the last oil analysis was pretty good. It just burns oil...

I am going to pull the IC next week and see if its full of oil on the off chance its more turbo related

I am thinking on a new engine in Spring. Off to the Alps next week and two bigger trips planned in the summer, South of France and Corfu there and back

Screenshot 2023-12-11 11.44.12.png

I'm new to Carista, just checked DPF info. Soot 10.3 grams, time since 0 hr, Distance since last 13 km. Not sure what soot it should be. Is there anything else I can check?

How much oil is yours getting through? I wasn't too worried about the 1 litre / 1000 miles while it was still running well (except the cost), but now with the boost issues and heavier oil use thinking the others bits like DPF are on borrowed time. Needs to be reliable for long journeys away like your summer trips.

Do you have a guide price on a new engine, fit a complete 2nd hand or rebuild what you have? Would they be able to retrofit a newer spec engine into yours to be ULEZ compliant?

There's no reason to change mine either other than the engine really, I just have one quote from VW of around £16k for a new engine but didn't include the fuel pump and other bits I thought would be included, so hoping for a better alternative... and that the DSG and 4motion don't start playing up shortly afterwards.

Talk to Retro Resus if you are down south. £11k for. 180, but i think a 204 is more expensive

Quite early too tell but mine was using 1L on 500 miles or so the last couple of months before the turbo went, now with new turbo and cleaned out dpf I've done 1100 miles on maybe 1/4L oil, will keep monitoring it and I think the dpf still needs replacing cos it regens more often than I'd like, but haven't got round to logging all the dpf sensors properly yet.

How do you know how many regens it does / check DPF sensors? Was it the turbo the cause of the oil use then?

You can tell by the higher revs on idle that it's doing a regen or if you've got carista you can see how many miles it's done since the last regen. Currently mine only gets to like 80ish miles before it regens. Before with the old turbo and cleaning the dpf it pretty much regenned continuously, which is probably what ruined the turbo!

I'm hoping the turbo caused the oil usage but am not completely holding my breath yet!

IMG_4927.png

I use an app on iPhone now called DPF Monitor for VAG, its really good

The top image even shows you when the regens are happening. Its all about to kick off now at 97% :)

Last edited:
Thanks just downloaded the DPF monitor, hoping the Carista dongle would talk but doesn't seem to, is that right? Can't find all that info in the Carista app.

Thanks just downloaded the DPF monitor, hoping the Carista dongle would talk but doesn't seem to, is that right? Can't find all that info in the Carista app.
I am using Carista dongle I purchased this year, so in theory it should. Make sure you kill the Carista app

Got it working with the Carista, reinstalled and it woke up. What do you recon on the results? Oil ash as a value was 111.05g.

IMG_4824.PNG

if your dpf is already at 24g soot after 3.4 miles since the last regen I reckon that's well and trully blocked and it'll try to regen again straight away... this is what my one did before the turbo went, the increased back pressure of the blocked dpf puts too much load on the turbo shaft which will break.

Ah crap, won't be going too fast on the Autobahn home then. Super regen sounds good, may be a fire lit underneath it. :cool:

Back