2017 204 oil consumption issues [Resolved]

Hi all

Im new to the transporter game, I have had this issue also on my 67 plate sportline I bought back in January. It failed the consumption test last week ( managed 140 miles before the oil light came on ) and have been told it’s a new engine job. I luckily have a couple of weeks warranty left. Do you think under warranty they will replace all the damaged components as well or just the block? If just the block should I be pushing them to replace the other bolt on bits mentioned above at the same time, or is it standard for the original parts to be bolted back on? Thanks in advance. Steve.

Hi all

Im new to the transporter game, I have had this issue also on my 67 plate sportline I bought back in January. It failed the consumption test last week ( managed 140 miles before the oil light came on ) and have been told it’s a new engine job. I luckily have a couple of weeks warranty left. Do you think under warranty they will replace all the damaged components as well or just the block? If just the block should I be pushing them to replace the other bolt on bits mentioned above at the same time, or is it standard for the original parts to be bolted back on? Thanks in advance. Steve.
I've just been given more bad news by VW dealer.
My EGR, according to VW when last oil consumption test failed, needed a flush as blocked.
I was told it needed doing asap, I asked if I could have it done that week to be told no, but it's OK to run it until we can fit you in as it needs a new bloc anyway.
I returned 2 weeks later for the flush to be told 45min later that they couldn't flush it as it has failed the test plan, the Valve has siezed, meaning it doesn't work, it's doing nothing but knackering my engine more.
Now waiting for new EGR valve to be fitted on Friday, if engine doesn't blow before. Joke
You will only be offered block, sorry to say, all parts from old engine need putting on new bloc, except DPF, Cat converter and probably EGR will need replacing. You looking between 6-8k approx you need to find. Unless you push as still have some warranty? I wouldn't hold my breath.
VW only give goodwill on block I was told.
Don't think they will admit other parts are faulty too ? You can try.
All the best.

Hi …..have you thought about a complaint …..and see if they can help fight your case

i have a late 2017 204 (CXEB), coming up to 50k miles. It never used any oil for the first couple of years of ownership, up to around when it went in for a regular oil service and noticed the crankshaft seal was weeping. took a while to get the bits and time to book in, and was at this point i started to notice i had to start topping up with oil but thought nothing of it. that was just over a year ago.
Recently I have noticed however that its got to the point of needing to put in 1-2L every 600miles ish.

i have just booked it in a VW for them to do a check over and they gave me a hint that one of the tests is draining the oil, adding a specific amount and then driving it for so many miles and see if the light comes on.... i said this seems a bit archaic and surly this method could mean the engine runs dry of oil if not immediately brought back. they replied by saying this is only 1 potential out of a list of tests they have to perform and may not need doing at all, it goes in on the 5th Aug....

Hi all

Hi Mate

I'm still having ongoing discussions with the trader (Who have agreed to repair it once legal got involved) I bought it from and disputing the fact of just a new block and me wanting the associated parts as well, the only reason I am pushing for this is due to the report I got from VolksWagen, and the one I got from the 2nd opinion garage which interestingly mentions that the production change in 2019 modified the pistons. Not sure if this relates to the oil consumption issues or the fact the they went to 199 spec.

I would be pushing for the extra parts as well if you can as if its the same issue the report will most likely state it recommends them to be changed, hopefully the attached helps.

Annoyingly VolksWagen UK and my local dealer have refused to contribute as I left them a bad customer survey score after they didn't look at the oil consumption when I first took the vehicle into them other than saying it may have a small leak and I had to monitor for any spots and bring back for a consumption test instead of doing it there and then, so make sure you get any fixes done before responding to a survey they send you.

VW report findings.JPG

2019 production change.JPG

Hi all
does anyone know if these issues were sorted on the newer models. I was looking at buying a used 204PS on a '21 reg, but wondering if i should go for a 199 PS if they are a different build? excuse my ignorance but have read so much bad stuff about these 204PS engines, and hoping it was mainly the 2017 range...?

Hi all
does anyone know if these issues were sorted on the newer models. I was looking at buying a used 204PS on a '21 reg, but wondering if i should go for a 199 PS if they are a different build? excuse my ignorance but have read so much bad stuff about these 204PS engines, and hoping it was mainly the 2017 range...?
Hi Steve, from the VW documentation I have the 204 engine was amended in 2019 to fix the cylinder wear issues resulting in the oil issue I’ve had

They mean the block only is given as a goodwill gesture, you have to find the other 7.5k to have job done.
I'm still baffled by the admission of a bad engine by VW yet they won't pay to have job done and can't guarantee it won't happen again but just give a 2 year warranty on the new block, not the whole engine.
Absolutely disgraceful of VW to know they have a vehicle with a faulty engine but not willing to openly admit it.
I will certainly not be buying VW again after being a Vee dubber all my life.
They know nobody will take them to court as it will cost a fortune and they will drag it out for years.
You could try to claim online with the admissions claim against VW who have been awarded over 160 million for certain vehicles bought between 2007 to 2018, I believe ? I will be trying or I stand to lose about 50k as customised my van.
Hi. I'm in the same position with my engine but I've yet to go down the route of oils weighing and trying to get some sort of good will from VW. Can I ask you what you decided to do in the end? I am flabbergasted that they charge £7.5k on top of the engine block supply. I see that Darkside will supply and fit a replacement short motor switching all ancillaries over from the old one for around £7.5k. Was it a real chore to get Vw to accept some responsibility? Thanks in advance.

Hi. I'm in the same position with my engine but I've yet to go down the route of oils weighing and trying to get some sort of good will from VW. Can I ask you what you decided to do in the end? I am flabbergasted that they charge £7.5k on top of the engine block supply. I see that Darkside will supply and fit a replacement short motor switching all ancillaries over from the old one for around £7.5k. Was it a real chore to get Vw to accept some responsibility? Thanks in advance.
Hello, you mention Darkside will do a short motor? What does that mean? Sorry if that's a novice question. I'm in the same boat, got a compression test booked tomorrow and oil consumption test next week at VW...

Hi guys
Sorry to jump on an oldish thread , but I have purchased a 204 tdi and as soon as I had it October 22 it had an issue with the egr cooler which was replaced under warranty, at the time I asked for an oil test to be done by the garage but they just done the repair (November), now I’m getting oil consumption which I think is getting worse. Should I go back to the same garage as they were good except for not doing the oil test (Midland Vw ) or take to a main dealer ? If so I’m Sutton Coldfield based , where do people recommend?
Ps the warranty is only covered to 5k and £60 per hour . But surely the dealer should cover the test in the event of more needed as it was from a Vw subsidiary?
Thanks Wayne

Hi all, just thought I would post an update on my engine oil issue. The oil analysis reported almost maximum soot levels (only 4,000 miles old), silicone/sealant deposits amongst other things. Compression test was within parameters, 27psi. I found an independent VW master technician and he took the engine out and stripped it down. The turbo fins were melted at the tips, presumably caused by hot oil. The inlet manifold was leaking and this is where the oil was passing and then being burned in the engine. The exhaust side of the block was dry but the inlet side was wet, but he took the head off and inspected the cylinders and bores and both were not damaged (phew). Refurbed turbos, new inlet manifold, head gasket, head bolts, timing belt and rebuild. I have travelled about 1,000 miles since and have seen no drop in the oil level, so I am hopeful the issue is now resolved. Cost a smidge under £3,000.

Hi all, just thought I would post an update on my engine oil issue. The oil analysis reported almost maximum soot levels (only 4,000 miles old), silicone/sealant deposits amongst other things. Compression test was within parameters, 27psi. I found an independent VW master technician and he took the engine out and stripped it down. The turbo fins were melted at the tips, presumably caused by hot oil. The inlet manifold was leaking and this is where the oil was passing and then being burned in the engine. The exhaust side of the block was dry but the inlet side was wet, but he took the head off and inspected the cylinders and bores and both were not damaged (phew). Refurbed turbos, new inlet manifold, head gasket, head bolts, timing belt and rebuild. I have travelled about 1,000 miles since and have seen no drop in the oil level, so I am hopeful the issue is now resolved. Cost a smidge under £3,000.
Where was the master tech based ? I may need him lol

Interesting. IMO turbine damage has been caused by re-generations trying to rectify the clogged DPF plus oil burn, backed up by the soot count in the oil analysis.
It’s fairly normal to have an oily induction system as the PCV feeds back to the induction plus some oil passing on the turbocharger bearings.
As far as the inlet manifold leaking oil into the engine - I have no idea what is meant by this.
From what you’ve written the mechanic has not inspected the pistons and oil control rings.

Well. I have same problem. Finally decided to remove engine and strip off. We found bore cilinders worned 0,3mm off the nominal size. Middle piston ring unable to move at all. Baddly stuck of carbon. At this moment i do rebuild all engine. Just stuck with balance shaft which i cant find anywhere info how to do a timing them. If someone knows please reply.

Well. I have same problem. Finally decided to remove engine and strip off. We found bore cilinders worned 0,3mm off the nominal size. Middle piston ring unable to move at all. Baddly stuck of carbon. At this moment i do rebuild all engine. Just stuck with balance shaft which i cant find anywhere info how to do a timing them. If someone knows please reply.
Workshop manual is on ebay

Same old story.
2016 206 Caravelle. 59,000 on the clock.
Bought from main dealer in January, oil light came on within 800 miles. I've since put 8 litres of oil in.
Finally got the oil consumption test done - they filled it, then I drove for 625 miles then returned to have the oil measured.
The oil light came on after 604 miles.
VW has confirmed it's a new engine job, but they're only stumping up 50% on goodwill.
3rd party warranty has refused to help deeming it "wear and tear"
Just waiting to hear back from the dealer on what else they can "do for me", in their words...

Last edited:
Hi. I'm in the same position with my engine but I've yet to go down the route of oils weighing and trying to get some sort of good will from VW. Can I ask you what you decided to do in the end? I am flabbergasted that they charge £7.5k on top of the engine block supply. I see that Darkside will supply and fit a replacement short motor switching all ancillaries over from the old one for around £7.5k. Was it a real chore to get Vw to accept some responsibility?

Last edited:
Back