Oil Analysis shows high levels of Iron

I've just had an oil analysis back with high levels of soot, van does seem to be doing a regen every 150 miles when it hits 24g regardless of driving, do you think this would point to goosed egr valve ?

Edited to add sample oil was 5k old and soot level was 1.3%!

Possibly a defective EGR however with that many re-gen’s and with DPF soot levels that high is there another more important issue to resolve first?
What’s the engine code?
What’s the engine mileage?
What’s the oil consumption mL / XXXX miles if any?
What MPG are you achieving and has it dropped?
Is it mapped?

How much does it cost and who do you send the sample to?

Purchase the passenger car kit from Opie Oils.
You’ll need a clean syringe and approx 1m of plastic hose that will fit in the dipstick port.
Sample with the oil hot, preferably after a long journey with oil temp’ over 100 deg C.
The kit includes the postage container and bag pre-paid.
Make sure the sample doesn’t get contaminated and the data entered on the form is 100% accurate or the results will be worthless.

Possibly a defective EGR however with that many re-gen’s and with DPF soot levels that high is there another more important issue to resolve first?
What’s the engine code?
What’s the engine mileage?
What’s the oil consumption mL / XXXX miles if any?
What MPG are you achieving and has it dropped?
Is it mapped?
Engine code is CXEB its a 204 dsg, 2018 plate
Mileage 51k
Consumption - I find this quite hard to quantify but I have been monitoring it. I'd say maybe 200ml over the last 5k miles.
Engine isn't mapped and fuel consumption hovers around 31mpg as per calculation not what the vans telling me, but I have all terrains on so that will be on the lower side.

I always monitor regens with dpf app so its never getting stopped mid regen etc, van does seem to regen at 24g instead of 30g but according to vw the software is all up to date. No fault codes either, this was more done due to noticing a few issues on other vans recently! Thanks for the help.

Seeing as there's so many knowledgeable people on here, I'd like some of you to glance over my Millers results please.

My 204 has been using a heap of oil so I was already convinced the engine is toast, until last week the turbo packed up and after talking to the AA guy and my garage it's possible the oil usage and pretty much continuous regen could be caused by the faulty turbo and therefore clogged DPF, and the engine could be fine?!

1698735829537.png

Seeing as there's so many knowledgeable people on here, I'd like some of you to glance over my Millers results please.

My 204 has been using a heap of oil so I was already convinced the engine is toast, until last week the turbo packed up and after talking to the AA guy and my garage it's possible the oil usage and pretty much continuous regen could be caused by the faulty turbo and therefore clogged DPF, and the engine could be fine?!

View attachment 218372

Fuel dilution acceptable limit is 2% so I would get the oil and filter changed asap (if it were still running).
You have 12000 miles entered as the oil mileage at the time of sample, is this correct? Seems odd to have such a round number.
Without higher iron and alum’ content it would indicate that the turbocharger/s were the route cause of the oil consumption and the fuel dilution being caused by frequent regenerations.
Obviously the van requires a turbocharger assembly replacement, probably a new exhaust manifold as the new turbo’ ass'y is modified, new EGR pipe to EGR as different exh’ manifold. I think you can safely say that the EGR is toast given the mileage and how much soot has passed through it.
You may be able to back flush the charge air cooler if there are unaccounted turbo’ parts missing, either way it’s worth de-greasing, many mechanics would renew it as any lodged debris could be ingested after rebuild.
Sump needs to be dropped to clean the oil screen and prove the turbo’ oil drain.
Turbo’ oil feed needs to be checked.
It’s expensive but not as bad as it could have been.

IMO and that’s all it is; the poor DPF condition is probably the route cause of the rash of 204ps engine failures; unsuccessful re-gen’s causing fuel dilution, causing bore wash causing cylinder / piston ring wear. Cylinder / piston ring wear increasing blow-by increasing crankcase pressure possibly to a rate where the PCV cannot cope and feeds oil vapour back into the induction creating more soot. Increased crankcase pressure acts against the turbo’ oil feed drain, reducing oil flow and increasing turbo’ temperature.
Blocked DPF causing raised exhaust back pressure acting against turbo’ oil feed pressure reduces oil flow and raises turbo’ temperature.

Oil analysis and DPF monitoring is key to reliability in my opinion and costs peanuts in comparison to the alternative.

EDIT: while the sump is off it is possible to do a visual inspection of the cylinders to determine if they are damaged. Not 100% conclusive but will indicate if you need to go further. You could also do a compression test prior to stripping.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I was hoping for, what a brilliant reply, thanks :)

The turbo didn't fail catastrophically, it still ran but you could hear the vanes scraping against the chamber when the AA guy started the engine but we haven't driven it at all so hopefully no bits have gone into the engine.

The last service was this time last year, it was on 108k, now it's on 120k so we filled in 12k on the test.

They'll do a service after fitting the new turbos, he said they'd also try to clean the DPF out and if that isn't successful it'll be a new one of those.

The EGR has been replaced 18 months ago so hoping that will still be ok.

Once it's back I'll download that DPF monitoring app and try and figure out what sort of figures I should be seeing on there.

VW BiTDI's are real fun ... I have an old 180 that is guzzling oil under load. New dpf fitted in the Spring and then the oil usage was obvious, egr blanked and mapped, compression is good all round. 2nd oil analysis next, now I have put a few k miles in. Mind you the rate I add oil sometimes its all pretty new in there ;-)

I used to have Mits L200's and I was reading on the FB page they have the same issue with dpf's causing bore wear through oil being washed out and diluted

Back