2017 204 oil consumption issues [Resolved]

D

Deleted member 40417

Hi, found a couple of post already regarding high usage on the 204 and some even leading to engine failure, has anyone got any experience with this I could ask for help?
I've only had my T6 204 T32 a few months and covered about 2000 miles but in that time its drank 5-6 litres of oil which I top up when the light comes on, at first thought the usage was normal from what I read on here till I hit the 3/4 litre mark. The curve ball is that is has no smoke either idle or under load, and I've inspected for oil leaks at the top and bottom, it was on axle stands for a while for the wheels to be done so it was easy to get under and check after removing the protective under tray. It's also not down on power at all still pulls really well when compared to the hire van VW gave me.
Finally got the van into VW last week who have been useless so far, asked them to do diagnostic and service on the van but they ended up not doing any diagnostic other than visual and just a service and handing it me back, saying I need to rebook for the Oil consumption test and the diag.
To give you an idea of how thirsty the van is, after getting the van back from service I threw around 160 miles on it measuring the oil level before and after and well over half has been lost. Obviously if the van has used so much over 160 miles, it won't complete the 600 needed for the consumption test, so its been left with the VW Workshop Controller to come up with a plan.

Trip Counter and Mileage.jpgOil level 30-05-22.jpgOil level 31-05-22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
5 litres of oil per 2000 miles is half a litre per 200 miles, effectively you can't even use a tank of diesel without topping up your oil at least once. That's just not acceptable and might indicate a serious problem with your engine or turbochargers. There's no visible smoke from the exhaust because your DPF is doing its job, filtering out the particles, an absence of smoke doesn't mean that your van isn't burning oil. If it's not leaking the oil then it's burning oil, a lot of oil. This is likely to cause DPF issues in the long term to add to whatever is causing the high oil consumption. I assume you've checked your coolant reservoir for any indication of oil contamination.
I hope you have a warranty, I know you only purchased the van recently.

Are you using quantum oil? I'm only asking as mine drained all its oil down to Cornwall so had to replace when I was down there. I use millers oils now and only top up every 6 months. My mate with an R36 had the same problem with quantum and since he changed to millers his has stopped drinking oil to.

The van gets quite a lot of long drives so not really noticed any extra regens happening when I stop the vehicle were as when I got it, it did quite a few. Been checking the coolant after I had an Audi with coolant and oil mixing issues which was a nightmare so been a bit paranoid of that, but so far the coolant on the van has been perfect. I do have warranty via warrantwise and VW have mentioned about goodwill if the van ended up needing a new EGR.
Been using 5w30 Castrol Edge since I bought it as per the Manual meeting the VW spec. When VW did the service they put 0w30 in that was Shell Helix UL

Are you using quantum oil? I'm only asking as mine drained all its oil down to Cornwall so had to replace when I was down there. I use millers oils now and only top up every 6 months. My mate with an R36 had the same problem with quantum and since he changed to millers his has stopped drinking oil to.
Have you got a link to millers oil, mine using about a litre every 1200 miles so wouldn't mine trying that.

Just to put an update to this post, van failed the consumption test at 375 miles out of the required 621 (1000km) putting the oil consumption around the 2.2 litre per 1000km mark

Took it straight back to VW who have now diagnosed the van needing a new engine, new DPF, new catalytic converter and new lambada sensors. Waiting for the garage to get back in terms of cost of the above and a full breakdown of the issue and cause

Did you buy the van from VW? And is it still covered by warranty. I would defo be kicking off if they try and wriggle out of paying, especially if they have tried to make you wait until the warranty expires, assume on a 17 plate that might be the case?

Hi

I have the same issue with my 204 66 plate which still only has 47000 miles on clock. If your engine number ends with CXEB then your engine is one of the faulty engines, as mine is. I have been going back and forward to VW Breeze in Poole for 3 years now with the high oil usage issue. After 2 x oil consumption tests and the EGR warning light coming on every other month, having new EGR valve pipes fitted top and bottom, engine oil and filters changed twice a year, many arguments regards this being the faulty engine that needs changing and being told for 2 years 'You dont have the bad engine' ? And it was within VW tolerance levels of oil usage, one litre per 621 miles, joke. The old consumption test was done manually, ie. They weigh the oil going in, then after 621 miles or before, if light comes on, they drop the remaining oil out and weigh it again, very unreliable way to do hence VW now do it via the engines management system.
Mine went in again 2 weeks ago and has failed and been told a new engine block needed but you take all the old stuff of the knackered engine and put on new block ? This doesn't solve problem it just means you have another block which will do the same again after approx 30000 miles.
Forgot to mention you may get a goodwill gesture for the block, 6.5k but you have to pay for all the work and new DPF and Cat converter and EGR flush on top, approx 7 5k.
Absolute joke, get rid of your VW and buy a different make, as VW are shocking and won't admit this issue and do a recall.
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.

Hi appreciate the replies and the detail, didn’t buy the van straight from VW it was from an independent who I’m now arguing with to repair or refund the van under consumer rights since I’ve had it less than 6 months!
Sorry to hear you’re having the same issues on your van too but appreciate all the info, shocking they haven’t classed this as a major fault or recall yet. It is a CXEB engine as well in mine, spoke to VW and they’ve already said there will be no goodwill involved on the replacement engine and parts and it’s down to the trader I bought it from.
So when VW had stated I need a new engine all they mean when they say that is just the block, or do they really mean a new engine but won’t pay for it if it’s down to them?

Hi appreciate the replies and the detail, didn’t buy the van straight from VW it was from an independent who I’m now arguing with to repair or refund the van under consumer rights since I’ve had it less than 6 months!
Sorry to hear you’re having the same issues on your van too but appreciate all the info, shocking they haven’t classed this as a major fault or recall yet. It is a CXEB engine as well in mine, spoke to VW and they’ve already said there will be no goodwill involved on the replacement engine and parts and it’s down to the trader I bought it from.
So when VW had stated I need a new engine all they mean when they say that is just the block, or do they really mean a new engine but won’t pay for it if it’s down to them?
They mean the block only is given as a goodwill gesture, you have to find the other 7.5k to have job done.
I'm still baffled by the admission of a bad engine by VW yet they won't pay to have job done and can't guarantee it won't happen again but just give a 2 year warranty on the new block, not the whole engine.
Absolutely disgraceful of VW to know they have a vehicle with a faulty engine but not willing to openly admit it.
I will certainly not be buying VW again after being a Vee dubber all my life.
They know nobody will take them to court as it will cost a fortune and they will drag it out for years.
You could try to claim online with the admissions claim against VW who have been awarded over 160 million for certain vehicles bought between 2007 to 2018, I believe ? I will be trying or I stand to lose about 50k as customised my van.

All 204s are CXEB and is the type not the serial number range. They don’t all have this issue.

All 204s are CXEB and is the type not the serial number range. They don’t all have this issue.
Thanks for clearing that up! Is there a way to identify possible problem engines or is it just 16 and 17 plates or even newer with the oil consumption? Is it just a question of being unlucky, an independent said he saw a lot of these come in around that age.
Tried to have a look round before buying originally but only come across a couple of posts with similar issues so figured they were one off cases.

We haven’t had many reported on here. VW aren’t going to list a range of serial numbers unless it was part of an official recall.
Also If the issue is random, then there won’t be a definite list.
even if VW knew of a particular batch fault, they are unlikely to let that get out for risk of a flurry of claims.

The CXEB is the last 4 letters on the engine number which is located under the bonnet to the left side as you look at it. Only 2016 and some 2017 early plates have these letters at the end and VW have admitted these engines only may have some high oil usage issues and EGR issues, not all but most and they will only give a goodwill gesture on this specific engine.
VW have just come back to me and offered 70% of the block cost and not the whole block plus I have to find the other 7.5k to do it and get new Cat converter, DPF and flush EGR plus Cambelt and waterpump ( which they just changed on knackered engine 300 miles ago) joke.
All in all I need 10k to replace an engine VW know is faulty on a 6 year old van with 47000 miles on through no fault of mine except I bought a VW T6 2016 piece of Sh..

Thanks for clearing that up! Is there a way to identify possible problem engines or is it just 16 and 17 plates or even newer with the oil consumption? Is it just a question of being unlucky, an independent said he saw a lot of these come in around that age.
Tried to have a look round before buying originally but only come across a couple of posts with similar issues so figured they were one off cases.
Go to a VW commercial dealer and ask them to check your engine number with VW warranty department. They have the numbers that are effected.
Be aware though they told me mine wasn't the bad engine for 2 years until the management team and head technician changed and the new VW team at my dealer said it was the bad engine as it had the number they know is faulty.
The issue is caused by the EGR valve failing to do its job correctly due to a build up of carbon. The engine piston bores get scored from particles and this in turn means the oil gets passed the piston and burned off. If your lucky enough to do high long motorway mileage and service regularly the EGR will do its job and regens will do their job correctly as they will be given the time to complete their cycles.
If however you do lots of short journeys and low mileage and continuously switching engine off before the regen has completed and EGR has cleared itself you will end up with this issue on this specific engine.
Even though VW may give you a new block or % towards it they won't guarantee it won't happen again as you are still having to put the original EGR and other parts back on the new block from the old engine.
At the end of the day VW know about this but until they are challenged legally they will do nothing but keep offering a goodwill gesture. Absolute joke.
I've been told there is a Facebook forum/page dedicated to this problem on the VW T6 2016/7 with many followers.
Can't give you a link as not on Facebook, to old.

The CXEB is the last 4 letters on the engine number which is located under the bonnet to the left side as you look at it. Only 2016 and some 2017 early plates have these letters at the end and VW have admitted these engines only may have some high oil usage issues and EGR issues, not all but most and they will only give a goodwill gesture on this specific engine.
VW have just come back to me and offered 70% of the block cost and not the whole block plus I have to find the other 7.5k to do it and get new Cat converter, DPF and flush EGR plus Cambelt and waterpump ( which they just changed on knackered engine 300 miles ago) joke.
All in all I need 10k to replace an engine VW know is faulty on a 6 year old van with 47000 miles on through no fault of mine except I bought a VW T6 2016 piece of Sh..
Sorry, but you are wrong about the engine number.
As I said CXEB is the TYPE (Engine code) and NOT the serial number.
(See the VW documentation below )

They may be saying that the problem only affects CXEB engines, but only a range of serial numbers.
However, then they blame the EGR valve? but all the engines have the EGR valve so it may simply be a range of EGRs fitted to a number of 204s (CXEB) engines.
As all the engine models have an EGR then they will all be getting soot drawn in, to some degree, so this sounds like a bit of BS. It's more likely that they have a bad batch of engines with bad bores.

1656511145369.png

The issue is caused by the EGR valve failing to do its job correctly due to a build up of carbon. The engine piston bores get scored from particles and this in turn means the oil gets passed the piston and burned off. If your lucky enough to do high long motorway mileage and service regularly the EGR will do its job and regens will do their job correctly as they will be given the time to complete their cycles.
The EGR doesn't do a regen, the DPF does and is after the engine.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you are wrong about the engine number.
As I said CXEB is the TYPE (Engine code) and NOT the serial number.
(See the VW documentation below )

They may be saying that the problem only affects CXEB engines, but only a range of serial numbers.
However, then they blame the EGR valve? but all the engines have the EGR valve so it may simply be a range of EGRs fitted to a number of 204s (CXEB) engines.
As all the engine models have an EGR then they will all be getting soot drawn in, to some degree, so this sounds like a bit of BS. It's more likely that they have a bad batch of engines with bad bores.

View attachment 162901

The EGR doesn't do a regen, the DPF does and is after the engine.
No worries, I actually said engine number not serial number, and I do believe this CXEB type engine was only made on this year 2016/17 204 hence the issue.
It is a load of BS I know as VW are the best at this hence Diesegate and all the emissions claims now, which I am signed up for too.

Back