20" alloys and snow chains?

VIP Member
Hi,

Just planning a van and was hoping someone could share their experience. Looking at fitting 20" Wolfrace Wolfsburgs (20x8.5J et42) with 255/40 tyres to a SWB 4Motion T6.1 that will be lowered on -30mm Eibach springs. The question is has anyone with a similar setup fitted snow chains and did they run into any issues? Worried about clearance to the strut and the guard. It is a requirement over here to carry (and use) diamond pattern style chains in certain areas. Any pictures/advice appreciated.

s-l300.jpg

I go to the alps 2-3 times a year in the snow in my 4Motion(when we could travel) - with 275/35/20 snow tyres on. I always have snow chains with me, but due to the tyres and 4Motion have never even got close to put them on even when we’ve had over 1/2 metre of snow. It just pushes through with zero issues.

As long as you are not too low, you should have zero issues.

My old van;

C5FC828C-2688-4312-B13B-E3CD564596AD.jpeg

@BognorMotors Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - but what snow chains do you carry for that wheel/tyre set up? Even if you don’t need to use them!! Looking for a recommendation to help narrow down my search. I’m more likely to need them for Alpine trips as I don’t have 4Motion.

I’d vote for Winter/snow tyres over chains every time with chains in the vehicle for back up. Chains are a pita regardless of style/brand or vehicle being fitted to. Just fitting and removing them on a low vehicle will be a right faff. And if you snap one when balls deep in snow, as I have done at midnight on a Sunday, you’ll be wishing you had gone with winter tyres when paying for the €100 taxi ride to the hotel. And another €60 back to collect the car in the morning.

I actually take snow socks now - so much easier if ever used.
Cheers for the info. And do the snow socks pass the “gendarme test” when they stop you to check you’re carrying “snow chains”? In my experience, any excuse to issue a fine to a vehicle with a British number plate is jumped on!

I’d vote for Winter/snow tyres over chains every time with chains in the vehicle for back up. Chains are a pita regardless of style/brand or vehicle being fitted to. Just fitting and removing them on a low vehicle will be a right faff. And if you snap one when balls deep in snow, as I have done at midnight on a Sunday, you’ll be wishing you had gone with winter tyres when paying for the €100 taxi ride to the hotel. And another €60 back to collect the car in the morning.
All valid points that I can’t really argue with. My bank balance will probably extend to a set of snow chains - or snow socks as advised above - as opposed to a set of winter tyres and maybe steely wheels for very occasional usage. Storage of winter tyres/wheels is another challenge I don’t have a solution too.

Cheers for the info. And do the snow socks pass the “gendarme test” when they stop you to check you’re carrying “snow chains”? In my experience, any excuse to issue a fine to a vehicle with a British number plate is jumped on!
Sorry - should have done some reading before asking the follow up question. Seems to be the case that Autosocks are valid snowchain alternatives. Happy days - but will avoid Austria for now.

BD144A44-49C4-4144-B7CD-CBEAADB823AB.jpeg

13E06774-9E89-49CE-95F1-96A081B51B5F.jpeg

Snow socks are terrible on anything other than a thin layer of fresh snow. Forget a patchy icy incline to a ski resort.
Chains for me despite them being a pain. When you ‘need’ them they do their job well.

Back