Winter tyres and chains for the Austrian Alps

JamesJC

Hi all,

First-time post, so please excuse the lack of knowledge.

I am hoping to plan a short ski-trip in the van and have started looking at winter tyre options (among other things). On checking my existing tyres (i.e. the ones the van came with) I was surprised to find that they have the M+S symbol, which means that they meet the requirements of German (until 2024) and Austrian law...at least that's what google tells me.

The initial problem is this: tyre size is 255/45/18 and the owners manual states snow chains (a requirement in Austria) can only be fitted to tyres of smaller size (215/65/16 being the biggest). So it look like I do need new tyres after all - unless anyone out there tried fitting them to larger tyres similar to mine?

Any advice welcome!

check if the area you are going to requires the snowflake symbol on the tyres. As for chains the standard winter tyres set supplied in europe is 215/60/17 and chains are also supplied if requested.

as your 255/45/18 is nearly identical in circumference to the 17 and there is plenty of clearance i would have no concerns fitting chains.

you can also get the "socks" that have a snowflake rating

Thanks for your very helpful reply - I think that the snow sock is good for where you are, but the Austrians don't like them for some reason.

Will look into getting some chains and other vital bits - thanks again.

Just checked, correct Austria is one of few that doesn't accept it.

Foe chains I can recommend the rud auto tension set. Practice putting them on it a few times at home before you set off and watch you don't feed it through the brake line or abs cable !!!!

Did you get any chains in the end? I'm planning a trip to the Alps next year too so need to get something sorted too.

I have the same size tyres on sportline rims so had read that chains wouldn't fit. Although the diameter is nearly the same as the 17’s I assumed the wider tyre meant there wasn't enough clearance between the inboard sidewall and the front strut - I haven't checked mind.

Be interesting to know how you get on.

Hi Stan,

As yet, the extent of my snow chain knowledge is the above thread and some browsing on Buy the best chains for your car. I think I'll speak to them directly and send in a photo. I need to get organised, as my trip would be mid-Jan.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi all,

First-time post, so please excuse the lack of knowledge.

I am hoping to plan a short ski-trip in the van and have started looking at winter tyre options (among other things). On checking my existing tyres (i.e. the ones the van came with) I was surprised to find that they have the M+S symbol, which means that they meet the requirements of German (until 2024) and Austrian law...at least that's what google tells me.

The initial problem is this: tyre size is 255/45/18 and the owners manual states snow chains (a requirement in Austria) can only be fitted to tyres of smaller size (215/65/16 being the biggest). So it look like I do need new tyres after all - unless anyone out there tried fitting them to larger tyres similar to mine?

Any advice welcome!
Not sure if this is sorted but I have snow chains for my Nokian 17. Used them in Austria a couple of times this season and last.

check if the area you are going to requires the snowflake symbol on the tyres. As for chains the standard winter tyres set supplied in europe is 215/60/17 and chains are also supplied if requested.

as your 255/45/18 is nearly identical in circumference to the 17 and there is plenty of clearance i would have no concerns fitting chains.

you can also get the "socks" that have a snowflake rating
Socks are not approved in Austria.

I have a set of the thule k-summit xxl snow chains. Not cheap but easy to fit and they don't have to go round the back of the tyre. I originally got them for a Touareg as there's not enough room for chains on the back of 20" wheels. Fortunately they fit my current wheels (just) too!
Never had to use them while abroad skiing so can't vouch for them in real use though, but well built and heavy duty.

Back