Snow chains in France

FerrisBFW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We are off to the French Alps next week.

So i did my research about winter tyres and have fitted Falken Wildpeak AT3WA tyres with a 3PMSF marking - Three Peak Mountain Snowflake. My Caravelle is 4motion

Question is do i need snow chains legally?

The place we are staying is not that high - Venosc is at 900m

So much advice coming at me from mates saying yes. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
We are off to the French Alps next week.

So i did my research about winter tyres and have fitted Falken Wildpeak AT3WA tyres with a 3PMSF marking - Three Peak Mountain Snowflake. My Caravelle is 4motion

Wuestion is do i need snow chains legally?

The place we are staying is not that high - Venosc is at 900m

So much advice coming at me from mates saying yes. Any thoughts?
You don’t need snow chains if you have 3PMSF tyres fitted. We have a 4mot T6 with Michelin Agilis cross climates, we carry chains, but only for my peace of mind, we’re not legally required to do so. Never been stuck or felt that chains are necessary. You’ll be fine in Venosc, Champ de Moulin??

Chains not required as you have snow rated tyres. Enjoy the trip.

We did Courchevelle and Tignes (2100m) one year driving with our Discovery. No issues, they work hard to clear the roads to the resorts, Just consider delaying any descent until daylight if concerned.

I never had to use chains on a 4wd with proper winter tyres over a number of years living in Munich with frequent trips into Austria. Beware of becoming overconfident though, as when it comes to braking all the 2wd cars with winters will be equal and you can easily find yourself going too fast…

However, I was once told by the Austrian police to fit chains (when I was in a 2wd). They drove down the queuing traffic telling all vehicles to do so. When we got around the corner we found the road surface was compacted & polished snow that even a 4wd might have struggled to get up without chains. So to put all doubts to rest, it is better to have chains (& practice fitting them at home before the trip). But the chances are you will not need them.

I never had to use chains on a 4wd with proper winter tyres over a number of years living in Munich with frequent trips into Austria. Beware of becoming overconfident though, as when it comes to braking all the 2wd cars with winters will be equal and you can easily find yourself going too fast…

However, I was once told by the Austrian police to fit chains (when I was in a 2wd). They drove down the queuing traffic telling all vehicles to do so. When we got around the corner we found the road surface was compacted & polished snow that even a 4wd might have struggled to get up without chains. So to put all doubts to rest, it is better to have chains (& practice fitting them at home before the trip). But the chances are you will not need them.
Sound advice that^^^^^^^^^^
I always have a trial fitting before we leave for the snow. I also have a set of winter work gloves in the bag with the chains & the bag doubles up as a kneeling mat. You don't want to be fitting them for the first time, in the snow/dark/cold.
Just tried mine today & fitted the ski carrier to the bike rack.IMG_3863.jpgIMG_3872.jpgIMG_3873.jpgsnow chain.jpg

We travel to the Alpes a lot (here now). I would 100% recommend you take chain or socks - not that you’ll need them with your setup, but we’ve actually been refused up the mountain once after a huge dump of snow- 60cm in one go!

Enjoy

Back