Yes give it a try and see how you get on.
A much smoother ride Oli, just not sure about even tyre wear?
Also, I think 275's on the front are too big. That was the recommendation and what I opted for, I'm looking at a smaller size now.

agreed. However I was advised to go with 275/40 and can really only afford to change the fronts!!

275 40 20 rear and 40 psi
245 45 20 front and 40 psi
Fronts were changed at 16k still legal and went to a different size and rears are original at 27000 miles, 4motion and kinda loaded with spares and hand tools, tow vehicle also.

Hi all, recently joined the forum as just literally collected my first ever VW Camper, and am delighted with it.
it has 20 inch wheels/tyres on with 275/40/ZR20 106WXL tyres. The converters said run at 50 psi all round, but checking them today, each wheel has a different pressure in, ranging from 32 up to 45psi, so shows how much they checked it before PDI!!
so, people running 20inch rims, what pressures do you use/ recommend?
also, what Torque figure is the correct figure to use, when tightening the wheel nuts.
any help and advice is much appreciated
200EF251-99B9-476B-B604-B184A7A73FB8.jpeg

Hi all, recently joined the forum as just literally collected my first ever VW Camper, and am delighted with it.
it has 20 inch wheels/tyres on with 275/40/ZR20 106WXL tyres. The converters said run at 50 psi all round, but checking them today, each wheel has a different pressure in, ranging from 32 up to 45psi, so shows how much they checked it before PDI!!
so, people running 20inch rims, what pressures do you use/ recommend?
also, what Torque figure is the correct figure to use, when tightening the wheel nuts.
any help and advice is much appreciated
View attachment 90634
I’m running 275/40/20’s.... 42 psi up front and 40 at the rear. Mine’s a converted panel van, fully sound deadened, insulated and carpet lined, but a day van, not a full on camper :thumbsup:

The tyres that came with the conversion are HAIDA.
any comments? I take it they are budget tyres, as haven’t heard of them.
what generally is a good tyre for. 6.1?

The tyres that came with the conversion are HAIDA.
any comments? I take it they are budget tyres, as haven’t heard of them.
what generally is a good tyre for. 6.1?
I haven’t heard of HAIDA either, so couldn’t/wouldn’t comment, but my opinion is if you’ve paid good money for a good van, don’t skimp on good quality tyres.... from a safety point of view mostly! Those tyres are your only contact patch with the ground. Buy the very best you can afford. Obviously you’ve got what came with the conversation, but I know that forum members @BognorMotors and @ChrisR recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric :thumbsup:

Goodyear F1 would always be my recommend. Nice and quiet. Work well in wet and dry and last well.
Thank you.
Obviously dealing with lots of VW’s do you feel that 20 inch rims, are a good choice, or realistically would you say that an 18 inch rim would make for a better option for ride quality durability etc
Also the Goodyear F1 Asymetric tyres come in 1,2,3 etc I believe, any preference?
Many thanks.

As long as you have a quality suspension setup, with your vehicle correctly aligned, 20’s work really well. (And look cool too)

We’ve fitted all the Asymmetric Tyres they range from 69-71db so all fairly quiet. The 3’s are the best all-round, but also the most expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back