Hi all, I have just had some 20 inch Michelin Cross Climate 2s fitted on my T6.1 Camper (275/40Y20). The Tyre Fittter advised that they had inflated them to 50psi rear and 48 psi front. This seems too high to me, as Conversion Company on collection recommend 40 psi all round on the previous tyres? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers Alex.

20" wheels here too, and am running at 44 front, 40 rear.
Agreed these pressures with local tyre company who I have used for 15 years and trust. Have not noticed any uneven wear.
2021 Highline DSG runs very comfortably and smoothly like this.

(Van is not heavily loaded and usually only has one occupant - me ;))

Hi all, i've got a newly purchased T6.1 T28 transporter with caravelle conversion. I'm having issues with the rear tyres deflating to 10psi on a weekly basis, even after changing to new tyres this is still happening. Tyre size is 275/35zR20 102W rated. The van has had a B14 suspension conversion if it helps. Been filling up to 43psi, could this be a weight issue overloading the tyres? Finding the ride very firm and crashy as well.

Hi all, i've got a newly purchased T6.1 T28 transporter with caravelle conversion. I'm having issues with the rear tyres deflating to 10psi on a weekly basis, even after changing to new tyres this is still happening. Tyre size is 275/35zR20 102W rated. The van has had a B14 suspension conversion if it helps. Been filling up to 43psi, could this be a weight issue overloading the tyres? Finding the ride very firm and crashy as well.
Could it be cracked alloys? Are they new or have they been on for a while prior to you purchasing the van?

They've been on a while but the alloys were checked when we got the rear tyres changed a few week ago and nothing reported from the garage. There was damage on the inner wall of one of the old tyres but nothing on the other. Since changing the tyres we are still getting the same issue though. Is 102W a high enough rating for a T28 van with a Caravelle conversion, unsure of what weight the van would be now compared to pre conversion?

They've been on a while but the alloys were checked when we got the rear tyres changed a few week ago and nothing reported from the garage. There was damage on the inner wall of one of the old tyres but nothing on the other. Since changing the tyres we are still getting the same issue though. Is 102W a high enough rating for a T28 van with a Caravelle conversion, unsure of what weight the van would be now compared to pre conversion?
Yes 102 are rated more than enough for a T28.

Cheers guys, sounds like I need to get all the alloys checked and go from there. Good excuse for a change of alloys i reckon. Any recommendations for a good all round 20" tyre size, taking comfort into consideration, or would i be better off going for smaller alloy and bigger tyre wall? Van is used as a daily runner for school runs etc, the hard ride with the B14 suspension and 35mm walled tyres gets a bit tyresome!

When they put the new tyres on did they give the rim a good clean?
I’ve literally just come back from the tyre place just now having the same problem on the car since a new tyre at Xmas and it was leaking round the rim seal. Tyre off and there was loads of corrosion around the rim. He’s ground it all off and refitted the tyre. Might be worth taking it to the place that fitted the tyres.

Found a tear on my side wall and started reading up on tyre pressures wondering what mine should be on my newly acquired van. The tyres clearly state a max of 50psi but each and every one was above that. If it were not for the tear I would be driven around with overpressured tyres. Why do people not read what it says on the tyres. They are all now below the max and I am expecting a softer ride.

Found a tear on my side wall and started reading up on tyre pressures wondering what mine should be on my newly acquired van. The tyres clearly state a max of 50psi but each and every one was above that. If it were not for the tear I would be driven around with overpressured tyres. Why do people not read what it says on the tyres. They are all now below the max and I am expecting a softer ride.

The tyre manufacturer sets the Maximum tyre pressure, but they have no idea what vehicle the tyre will be fitted to so the correct pressure to use is the one set by VW which depends on your van and its weight. There should be a sticker on your van like this which will guide you;

20210427_131258.jpg

Agreed. The table shows that as the wheel radius increases, the tyre pressure goes down. So why does somebody pump 52psi in an R20 when that exceeds the safe design. An educated guess would be somewhere lower than an R18. At www.tyrepressure.com it cites 36psi to 40psi for a 245/40/r20;depending on SL or XL. Think I would rather be safe than looking pretty

Even the the VW manual says "never exceed the maximum tyre pressure which is given on the sidewall of the tyre"

Last edited:
As you can see from the plate above, there’s pretty big variation depending on loading. This means you’ll likely need some experimentation. Some you can do by eye, looking at the tyre tread contact but as time goes on you can monitor the tyre wear too. For what it’s worth on our LWB camper we run 235/55/17 at 48psi front and back.

Sounds sensible. Mine is a SWB. There is nothing in the table that gives a comfortable correlation as it cites narrow and wider tyres with different profiles. So educated guess time: I reckon I could go 44psi front and 40 on the rear but will adjust as I go. Cheers

Back