As long as you have a quality suspension setup, with your vehicle correctly aligned, 20’s work really well. (And look cool too)

We’ve fitted all the Assymentic Tyres they range from 69-71db so all fairly quiet. The 3’s are the best all round, but also the most expensive.
Yes, quite happy to pay top dollar for the right tyre, as in my book it is the one area where you don’t want to skimp
Will probably live with the ones on it for the time being, until I get to know the vehicle a little better. Suspension is also another area that I want to address, so will probably do it all in one go.

I have those wheels and run 255/40 as I reckon 275/40 is too wide for an 8.5” rim. Only can get load rated tyres for T30 and below in 255/40 tho so if you’re a T32 it’d be 265/40. Suggest you consider changing your tyre size when your existing ones wear out.

Hi all, recently joined the forum as just literally collected my first ever VW Camper, and am delighted with it.
it has 20 inch wheels/tyres on with 275/40/ZR20 106WXL tyres. The converters said run at 50 psi all round, but checking them today, each wheel has a different pressure in, ranging from 32 up to 45psi, so shows how much they checked it before PDI!!
so, people running 20inch rims, what pressures do you use/ recommend?
also, what Torque figure is the correct figure to use, when tightening the wheel nuts.
any help and advice is much appreciated
View attachment 90634

Anyone else running 255/40s and have thoughts on how that may affect pressures? Currently on 36psi but considering increasing to 38...

Anyone else running 255/40s and have thoughts on how that may affect pressures? Currently on 36psi but considering increasing to 38...
I think you're in the right ball park there. 36-38 works well on the 255/40. No two vans are exactly the same though so just keep a regular eye on the tread wear and make sure it's even all the way accross just to be on the safe side.

I run 36psi it feels and looks like the right pressure plus the tyres seem to be lasting well with this pressure.

Last edited:
As far as insurance is concerned what’s the risk with running lower tyre pressures than the sticker on the drivers door? I agree that 36psi is a comfortable pressure apart from when fully loaded when I put them up higher.

If you run the tyres at say 36psi but the sticker says 45 or 50psi what happens in the event of an accident? A vehicle has to be roadworthy, I wonder what is the trigger point before the insurance companies count it as under inflated? Does anyone know or have any experience?

Perfect pressure. My last demo did 15k miles in a year, at 36 psi. Loads of life in the tyres when I sold it- it was a heavy Caravelle conversion too.
Is this the velle that I read about in a magazine recently?

A much smoother ride Oli, just not sure about even tyre wear?
Also, I think 275's on the front are too big. That was the recommendation and what I opted for, I'm looking at a smaller size now.

275x40x20 Uniroyal rainmasters on the rear of my T6 4Motion 204 were taken off at 35k, I could have squeezed another 1500 I reckon but not in the winter
I'm running 245x45x20 on the front and they last about 16k
Wheels are 8.5 front and 10 rear

I have a T32 Kombi which carries no weight and imo you should run the fronts 2psi lower than the rears.
Optimum pressures (again imo) are 38F/40R.

My last set I ran 40psi all round and the fronts wore more centrally than even suggesting over inflation.

Fitted my winters on Saturday and set the cold pressures to 40psi all round and checked after an hours drive. Fronts were approx 2psi higher when warm, hence my belief to set them 2psi lower when cold.

Not an exact science just my findings but worth sharing.

Mine’s 2WD not 4motion.

Hi all. I’m just swapping my standard 17” alloys for 20’s on my T32 highline
the new wheels came with some tapered bolts but just wondered if I can use the original radius collar bolts? They are the same length etc, but wondered if it makes a difference using the taper as opposed to the radius.
was more so thinking for the locking nut to save buying a new set.
Thank you.

Hi all. I’m just swapping my standard 17” alloys for 20’s on my T32 highline
the new wheels came with some tapered bolts but just wondered if I can use the original radius collar bolts? They are the same length etc, but wondered if it makes a difference using the taper as opposed to the radius.
was more so thinking for the locking nut to save buying a new set.
Thank you.

You must use the bolts that match your wheels. I assume that as they were supplied with taper bolts that those are correct for your 20" wheels.
Do not use radius seat bolts with taper seat and vice versa!

Back