Tbh mate, I'm the same. I had my 16" steels powder coated so I can put chunkies on but now trying to work out what will fit without straining the engine or over pushing the Speedo.
Like the holeshots tho.

Yup that's where I'm at too. I've loved the davonports from day one. Nice light factory wheels. The holeshots need the aggressive tyres like bfgs to pull them off. So that's the reason I'll let them go if I try less aggressive setup.

Quick update guys.....I've gone back to Michelin cross latitudes 235/55/17 on Devonports from the 245/65/17s bfgs and holeshots.

I have to be honest here and say the bigger all terrains looked amazing but were really effecting how the van was driving in my opinion. They just felt too big...

Firstly the van now has its spring back in it's step and the autobox seems smoother and more free revving again. It also seems more confident in its gear selection where as before with the bigger tyres its did some odd things. It also seemed to use 7th more again.

The mpg has improved massively and is getting a lot more miles per tank. This area was to be expected.

The biggest thing is the drivabilty, it just seems balanced under breaking and cornering again. Comfort levels have improved as I think the strong side walls in the bfgs could be harsh at times.

So over all I'm loving the van again, it's not quite as smart looking as the hole shots and bfgs but the lattitudes-x are a great looking tyre also. So I've found a happy medium.

Thanks for all the help guys, especially Chris over PM.

Cheers Paul. Pictures to follow soon.

Last edited:
I ran Lat-X 10 years ago on my T5 Vel (235/60/16) superb tyre.
I just got the bug for All-Season 3PMSN tyres (Directional), so I moved on. But the the Lat-X is superb

Quick update guys.....I've gone back to Michelin cross latitudes 235/55/17 on Devonports from the 245/65/17s bfgs and holeshots.

I have to be honest here and say the bigger all terrains looked amazing but were really effecting how the van was driving in my opinion. They just felt too big...

Firstly the van now has its spring back in its step and the autobox seems smoother and more free revving again. It also seems more confident in its gear selection where as before with the bigger tyres its did some odd things. It's also seemed to use 7th more again.

The mpg has improved massively and is getting a lot more miles per tank. This area was to be expected.

The biggest thing is the drivabilty, it just seems balanced under breaking and cornering again. Comfort levels have improved as I think the strong side walls in the bfgs could be harsh at times.

So over all I'm loving the van again, it's not quite as smart looking as the hole shots and bfgs but the lattitudes-x are a great looking tyre also. So I've found a happy medium.

been arguing with myself on wheels/tyres for months. very helpful summary. interested to see photos!

been arguing with myself on wheels/tyres for months. very helpful summary. interested to see photos!

Your most welcome. It's really night and day the difference. It was an expensive learning curve but I have no doubt now my van is back within its optimal setup for comfort and drivability.

Sounds Familiar, for the past 15 years thats been me.
235/55/18 directional All-seasons (with spacers) are my current choice based on 15 years of swapping about. I am happy:)

I'm having a hard time with this as well, had originally bought a set of holeshots with same bfg tyres, arrived damaged and attitude of seller wasn't good so eventually got a full refund, maybe this was a good thing given the comments above. Ordered black rhino warlords when lk performance had a 20% reduction and just got an email this PM to say none in stock. Gutted to say the least as saying spring before they get them again.

235/55/18 directional All-seasons (with spacers) are my current choice based on 15 years of swapping about. I am happy:)
Also good to know. Van is in for conversion at the mo and i have been struggling with the outside look of the van... I have an indium grey LWB 4M. have settled on Matt black side bars, wheel arch trims, VW Carbon splitter and Spoiler, black badges. Currently have VW factory fit Devonports but wondering whether to just have them coloured matt black (£380ish) and 'make do'. The style i like is Swamper 'lite'... I guess i just need to see what it looks like when i get it back...

Also good to know. Van is in for conversion at the mo and i have been struggling with the outside look of the van... I have an indium grey LWB 4M. have settled on Matt black side bars, wheel arch trims, VW Carbon splitter and Spoiler, black badges. Currently have VW factory fit Devonports but wondering whether to just have them coloured matt black (£380ish) and 'make do'. The style i like is Swamper 'lite'... I guess i just need to see what it looks like when i get it back...

You've just described my van exactly. Same setup with the arches etc. The silver Devonports work well. Looks exactly like you described...a lite swamper

Yeah Chris, it was just the looks of the Lat-x that got me. I'm such a sucker for stuff like that haha. Directional next time mate

I'm having a hard time with this as well, had originally bought a set of holeshots with same bfg tyres, arrived damaged and attitude of seller wasn't good so eventually got a full refund, maybe this was a good thing given the comments above. Ordered black rhino warlords when lk performance had a 20% reduction and just got an email this PM to say none in stock. Gutted to say the least as saying spring before they get them again.

I've gone full circle....should of stayed sensible from the start. Ah well only one way to find out was to try it.

You have got me worried now, just taken delivery of Rockstar 2's with 255 55 r18 falcon AT3W fitted. Not on the van yet. They do look big and if calcs correct about 7% increase in diameter. Van is 150 manual LWB 2WD Highline komi in black. More leisure pursuits than load carrier Love the look of the photos of others with this size.
Thinking of pendle remap in summer when warranty is up, mid range grunt supposed to be improved which may help compensate for the extra drag and gearing?

Firstly the van now has its spring back in it's step and the autobox seems smoother and more free revving again. It also seems more confident in its gear selection where as before with the bigger tyres its did some odd things. It also seemed to use 7th more again.

Did you not consider putting the MLx's on the Holeshots? Great looks and correct tyre size?

You have got me worried now, just taken delivery of Rockstar 2's with 255 55 r18 falcon AT3W fitted. Not on the van yet. They do look big and if calcs correct about 7% increase in diameter. Van is 150 manual LWB 2WD Highline komi in black. More leisure pursuits than load carrier Love the look of the photos of others with this size.
Thinking of pendle remap in summer when warranty is up, mid range grunt supposed to be improved which may help compensate for the extra drag and gearing?

When you get them fitted can you please post a pic, these are my fall back if the black rhino ones dont get sorted by lk performance. Thanks in advance.

Fitted them today but awaiting the centre caps as they forgot go send them. They were very apologetic and should be here soon. Will post the pictures when they get here. Cant help looking at red vinyl wrap and thinking of giving the centre stars a Russian look

Back