17” wheels AT Tyres needed.

C4S

T6 Pro
Hello all, I need some advice from those who have already done this, experience counts above all else where wheels and tyres are concerned,

I’ve taken the plunge and purchased some 17” wheels. Genuine VW items. 8X15
They’re originally for an Amorak and going on a T32.

I’m after some General Grabber tyres. AT3’s

Can some one who’s got some fitted please tell what size tyre I need ?
235 X 55
245 X 65

I’m on standard shocks, being a T32 it’s got bigger discs and bigger callipers I think ?

So what have you got and does it foul anywhere ?

The reason for all the questions is my tyre fitter guy is telling me I want 20’s in black with elastic bands for tyres ?
It just helps happens that one of his customers dropped some off there for him to sell but being from Yorkshire my pockets aren’t that accessible and I’m not that daft, apparently ?

Something to be aware of is that not all of the more common transporter tyre sizes will be available as an AT tyre with a load rating to suit a T32 (103 minimum).

Also, are the wheels rated high enough? (860kg minimum)

That said, 235/65 is a popular size. Big enough to look the part but not so large as to cause rubbing in the vast majority of cases.

245/65 is also popular if you want the full swamper look but being wider and taller, they are more likely to foul somewhere.

245/65 will also cause a speedo error where you are actually going faster than you think. In this respect, the 235/65 seems to correct the built-in factory error so that it reads exactly what you are doing.
Anything bigger than standard will negatively effect the gearing to a degree which, depending on how and what you use the van for will affect economy and performance. I run 235/65 and have certainly noticed the taller gearing when towing heavy loads. During normal use I can't say that I've noticed any difference.

Most (larger) AT tyres will have a load rating way above what we need for the Transporter. However, the difference in stiffness is usually more than made up for by the extra cushioning due to the increased volume which can be safely run at slightly lower pressures.

There is no such thing as T32 brakes. Many of them (mine included) have the smaller brakes as standard.

Lots (and lots) of info here

Last edited:
Something to be aware of is that not all of the more common transporter tyre sizes will be available as an AT tyre with a load rating to suit a T32 (103 minimum).

Also, are the wheels rated high enough? (860kg minimum)

That said, 235/65 is a popular size. Big enough to look the part but not so large as to cause rubbing in the vast majority of cases.

245/65 is also popular if you want the full swamper look but being wider and taller, they are more likely to foul somewhere.

245/65 will also cause a speedo error where you are actually going faster than you think. In this respect, the 235/65 seems to correct the built-in factory error so that it reads exactly what you are doing.
Anything bigger than standard will negatively effect the gearing to a degree which, depending on how and what you use the van for will affect economy and performance. I run 235/65 and have certainly noticed the taller gearing when towing heavy loads. During normal use I can't say that I've noticed any difference.

Most AT tyres will have a load rating way above what we need for the Transporter. However, the difference in stiffness is usually more than made up for by the extra cushioning due to the increased volume which can be safely run at slightly lower pressures.

There is no such thing as T32 brakes. Many of them (mine included) have the smaller brakes as standard.

Lots (and lots) of info here
Many thanks for your informative answer,
Something there for me to look into, apologies, I thought the T32 had bigger brakes, as I was told 16’s wouldn’t fit over them, and that I had to get the correct off set hence the reason why I plumped for VW alloys so as not to upset the apple cart too much and scatter my brain into a frenzy,

Which I appear to be doing quite well

Very happy with mine, 235/65, no rubbing.

View attachment 217392
Ricardo, thanks. Are they on 17” rims ?

... I thought the T32 had bigger brakes, as I was told 16’s wouldn’t fit over them...
Many people refer to the 340mm brakes as "T32 brakes". Sometimes just for convenience as most people know what they mean.
It's possible that more/most T32's left the factory with the larger brakes. I don't know how much extra they were but I guess they'd have been a worthwhile upgrade if you felt the need to be able to carry 1000kg+.
Both the appearance of the caliper and indeed the build sticker will tell you what you have if you're not sure.
You are correct about the 16 inch wheels not having enough clearance though .

Hi, looks fantastic. Just wondering if your van is on standard suspension? Or lowered?
Thanks
Hey mate, thanks for the compliments. The suspension has been changed to STX coilovers but set pretty much to the original ride height, so not lowered. It may look lowered due to the fact of the larger tyres which fill the 'arch gap'. ;)

Hey mate, thanks for the compliments. The suspension has been changed to STX coilovers but set pretty much to the original ride height, so not lowered. It may look lowered due to the fact of the larger tyres which fill the 'arch gap'. ;)
Brilliant. Looks great.

I've been looking for a while now.

Hard to get the ballance of arches being filled, but still nice ride height and comfort. I think you have sussed this for me.

Well done and thanks for sharing

Back