My original tyres supplied new from vw were conti van contacts 109 load rated and H speed rated (130mph) now on Falken Wildpeak 235 65 17, 24mm raise, need at least 10mm spacers to avoid rub on full lock.

Have ordered a T32 199 4Motion which will be converted by Rolling Homes. Will want to fit All Terrains (probably) on the standard 17" Devonport alloys. Probably going to go with 235/65 R17 so that we can keep a spare wheel underneath (using the Siekel modified holder). I know the tyres must have a load rating of 103 or more but I am struggling to find out the minimum speed rating.

So does anyone know the speed rating of the standard fit 215/60 R17 on the T32 199?

Thanks
My 6.1 (T28) 199 4Motion and was fitted with Bridgestone Duravis R660 215/60/R17 109/107T

My original tyres supplied new from vw were conti van contacts 109 load rated and H speed rated (130mph) now on Falken Wildpeak 235 65 17, 24mm raise, need at least 10mm spacers to avoid rub on full lock.
Thanks, I was expecting U or H as the official top speed is 123mph. From reading earlier in the thread, wasn't your van a 150 originally where a T rating would have been sufficient? Perhaps all UK 4Motion T32 get the same tyre.

Thanks for the heads-up on spacers - Guess the choice is spacers or different rims with different offset to original fit. Was planning on a lift.

My 6.1 (T28) 199 4Motion and was fitted with Bridgestone Duravis R660 215/60/R17 109/107T
Thanks. Seems surprising as the top speed quoted in the current VW 6.1 transporter brochure is 123mph (197kph) but T has a speed rating of 118 mph (190kph). I know it is only a small difference but I'm surprised a manufacturer (especially a German one - Autobahns) would fit a tyre with a lower speed rating than the top speed.

I think the official top speeds are as fictional as the official mpg figures :D I've had my 150 (admittedly full camper) flat out on a level autobahn several times and got a true 107mph with nothing left to give.

Thanks, I was expecting U or H as the official top speed is 123mph. From reading earlier in the thread, wasn't your van a 150 originally where a T rating would have been sufficient? Perhaps all UK 4Motion T32 get the same tyre.

Thanks for the heads-up on spacers - Guess the choice is spacers or different rims with different offset to original fit. Was planning on a lift.

Thanks. Seems surprising as the top speed quoted in the current VW 6.1 transporter brochure is 123mph (197kph) but T has a speed rating of 118 mph (190kph). I know it is only a small difference but I'm surprised a manufacturer (especially a German one - Autobahns) would fit a tyre with a lower speed rating than the top speed.
Good job I didn't get past 189kph on autobahn then!!

IMG_6417.JPG

Yes TDI150 plus a torque map. Tyres on Devonport alloys (OE) 7x17 give 24mm lift on OE T32 springs. A set of spacers far less costly than a set of wheels. Ours came from Watfield Engineering with the correct bolts and floating washers, set of four cost less than a single load rated alloy rim. Watfield also have spring spacer lift kits 25-50mm and we will lift the rear as it sags a bit with filled water tanks plus the conversion. Fitting fronts involves dismantlling the struts, the rears just a spring compressor and detaching the bottom end of the dampers for access. We are not planning to drive places where a snorkel would be essential just get out of muddy fields and deal with snow. Navigator's veto...

Reactions: CAB
Have ordered a T32 199 4Motion which will be converted by Rolling Homes. Will want to fit All Terrains (probably) on the standard 17" Devonport alloys. Probably going to go with 235/65 R17 so that we can keep a spare wheel underneath (using the Siekel modified holder). I know the tyres must have a load rating of 103 or more but I am struggling to find out the minimum speed rating.

So does anyone know the speed rating of the standard fit 215/60 R17 on the T32 199?

Thanks
Hi I run on Mitchelln Cross latitude 235 55 r17 rated 103h . This is on a 180 4motion these are land and speed rated and are the best tyre I've ever used, look fab travel like a road tyre BUT with loads of grip in the wet and will pull my twin axle out of s muddy field . Perfect all round tyre and they won't knacker your fuel economy. Just my tuppence worth ;)

Hi I run on Mitchelln Cross latitude 235 55 r17 rated 103h . This is on a 180 4motion these are land and speed rated and are the best tyre I've ever used, look fab travel like a road tyre BUT with loads of grip in the wet and will pull my twin axle out of s muddy field . Perfect all round tyre and they won't knacker your fuel economy. Just my tuppence worth ;)
Yep, I've run these tyres years ago, and they are very good......... in summer.
Not so in winter.
There are far better all-season tyres around now. Just as good as Mit LatX in summer and muddy fields, but so much better in winter.

How about the 225/65 r17 bfg KO2s,..

I’ve been running them for over 10,00km on our trip and have had no issues, done some crazy long 4X4 tracks with tire pressures at 29 psi and it handled the last 155km track without issue.

I did notice that on the tire wall it’s not to be used on 7.5in rims, I’m running stock power coated t32 rims with a Seikel lift
Hey
Can I ask; are you running spacers? What wheels are you running, what width and ET? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm about to spend quite a bit of money; just trying to make sure it's well spent.

Cheers
Darren

Just done something similar but gone full circle now and heading back to some nice alloys....

16” Claytons > 19” Amarok Cantera > 16” Modular Steels with BFG KO2 235/70/16s > 16“ Claytons > probably another set of Canteras :rolleyes:

43EE962D-1903-4971-AC78-2E0FA0E60918.jpeg

Love the aggressive ‘Swampery’ look but turns out I much prefer the low/alloy look

Not that much yet thanks to COVID-19, probably about 4,000. So far there is absolutely no sign of wear, but that's not surprising. When researching tyres the off road forums suggest 40,000 miles isn't impossible. Although that isn't on a van it's often on a pickup or heavy duty 4x4. Sorry cant be of more help

Hello everyone,

I have a LWB T32 and would like to fit some 17inch alloys with all terrain tyres. I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not I would have to lift my suspension so they fit? Also which size of the BF Goodrich tyres I can actually go for if there are a few options that would fit. Apologies for my lack of knowledge I really don't know a lot about suspension and wheel specs! I thought it would quicker asking you lovely people.

Thanks in advance.

T32's come with 17" alloys. As long as you're not going to fat over stock tyre size then there's no problem.

Hello everyone,

I have a LWB T32 and would like to fit some 17inch alloys with all terrain tyres. I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not I would have to lift my suspension so they fit? Also which size of the BF Goodrich tyres I can actually go for if there are a few options that would fit. Apologies for my lack of knowledge I really don't know a lot about suspension and wheel specs! I thought it would quicker asking you lovely people.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look here - Will They Fit - this will help you compare the effect of wheel/tyre sizes with your current set-up.

Back