Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
Not mentioning any names but i spoke to one of the main service chaps at a vw van dealership yesterday and he told me that not only were the standard headlights extremely poor but even some of the RAC drivers were refusing to go out at night in there Transporters.

Have just completed upgrading mine to H7 headlights. Still need to code the change and have the lights properly aligned as dip seems a bit low but already the improvement is like night and day, no pun intended.
OK, yes there was :)

When you consider the cost difference between H4 and H7 units....as penny pinching exercises go.....my God VW, that one was a humdinger! I think the H4's are downright dangerous....and I don't care who certified them as meeting whatever EU standard they need to meet! Whoever it was must love carrots! I love my van....but there are a couple of aspects that really let it down....and that's the biggest of the lot. VW disgraced themselves over the emissions scandal....are we're paying for it by corner cutting and penny pinching! Look at the number of rejected warranty claims! I'm awaiting a decision (4 months now) on a paint blistering claim. I'm told that a division of VAG are overwhelmed by bodywork claims....but he wouldn't tell me which part of VAG. That's for another thread though! I wouldn't mind if VW would at least do a deal on H7 units for owners who don't possess night vision goggles! :mad:

For sure I find my H4 headlights on the boarderline of being safe, they certainly strain my eyes when driving along dark roads.
Has anyone here taken any photos of the difference in light utput for the H7 lights compared to the H4 (it's be great to see if they have)?

Hi All,

I have trawled many posts on the forum regarding poor headlights on a T6 but can't seem to find an updated solution - can anyone advise on best options to make them better - Thanks in Advance

Hi All,

I have trawled many posts on the forum regarding poor headlights on a T6 but can't seem to find an updated solution - can anyone advise on best options to make them better - Thanks in Advance

From what i have read , bulb upgrade makes a small improvement or full replacement is the next step to H7 units or aftermarket LEDs

Transporterhq (thq) Aftermarket Replacement Headlights

Hi All,

I recommend Osram night breakers , or the Phillips 150% something or other as replacement bulbs. £20 ish. But there are people on here who having spent thousands on the van are prepared to spend thousands more on the "look". So if you fall into this bracket, then there are the H7 Caravelle lamps you can fit, or go all out for the aftermarket LED units.

50% of my driving is at night, and before I replaced the standard bulbs, it was a bit frightening how bad they were. But since upgrading the bulbs I never felt the need for anything more substantial.

I've upgraded the bulbs and tbh it's not a vast improvement and it's still scary over the dales at night, save your money for better lamps

Back