Who is happy or unhappy with the standard H4 headlights?

Having driven a T6 van with standard H4 bulbs at night, what is your opinion of the headlights.

• Adequate, no problem.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Unacceptable, but I'll just take the front of the van off and pay to change them myself.

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • Unacceptable, and I'll stand up and be counted to move towards getting this resolved.

Votes: 166 69.7%

• Total voters
image.jpeg image.jpeg Ahh the standard H4's.........The "Joo Janta 200 super chromatic peril sensitive headlights" (borrowing or downright stealing from Douglas Adams here). They are based on the principle of "what you don't know, can't harm you" and are designed to promote a relaxed attitude to driving by turning off at the first sign of danger, e.g. Night time.. This prevents you from being alarmed by any thing around you. The only downside is you cannot see where you are going.
Fit some H7's. All good. I fitted some PIAA spots, but they are not needed, apart from looking sexy. Sexy pics attached.

Jonny.....you're among victims, sorry, friends here mate! I've done the whole DVSA thing.....I've had mine checked by the dealer too. I've done everything short of upgrading the bulbs. They're downright dangerous. What I would say is fill out the DVSA form.....get in touch with your dealer......get in touch with VW customer services too. Anyone out there who hasn't done all this needs to stop complaining or get moving with it. Probably nothing will be done.....but I'm firmly of the opinion, put up or shut up.....and that's not aimed at anyone. I know that if I was unfortunate to have a night time RTC, I'd be telling my insurance company all about it! You know they're bad when you have to check that they're actually switched on! I wonder what an insurance company would say at renewal time if we all said, in our opinion, our vans are unsafe for use at night? I too drive with fogs and full beam on rural roads.....shocking really!:thumbsdown:

I adopted the “put up or shut up” attitude since my delivery day. Like I said, I always thought I was over reacting anyway. But I just needed a rant. A few close calls in one, slow journey ended up being an eye opener. The DVSA is a good shout, I will go down that route even if it turns up with no results. At least I’ve tried to do something about it instead of just spieling on a forum.

I think at best, if VW just dropped the H4's for future vehicles and made the H7's standard would be a victory for the community. Bummer for those that have paid for an upgrade, but better for future company VW van drivers that have no choice in the matter.

its weird as on the motor way I cant see the light from the H4’s and can often see a shadow in front from cars behind. However I travel down an unlit road and the lights seem to light up the road as well as any car in front of me. If I put fog lights on it helps massively, so just want to get them programmed to come on, anyone who can help me out would be a friend for life.

I adopted the “put up or shut up” attitude since my delivery day. Like I said, I always thought I was over reacting anyway. But I just needed a rant. A few close calls in one, slow journey ended up being an eye opener. The DVSA is a good shout, I will go down that route even if it turns up with no results. At least I’ve tried to do something about it instead of just spieling on a forum.
Quite right Jonny......it can't do any harm to make a lot of noise about these headlights! I had a fright last winter.....I was convinced the car in front of me (turning right) masked me at a crossroads. A car pulling out from the left then had me "touching cloth" and jumping on the brakes......they're dangerous.....I'm going to mention it again at service time. I've already told VW I think they're dangerous.....does anyone fancy publicising them on "Watchdog"?

its weird as on the motor way I cant see the light from the H4’s and can often see a shadow in front from cars behind. However I travel down an unlit road and the lights seem to light up the road as well as any car in front of me. If I put fog lights on it helps massively, so just want to get them programmed to come on, anyone who can help me out would be a friend for life.
Interesting, I tried my fogs on an empty country road and all they did was illuminate the grass verge either side almost level with the van so were useless. Left them on for about a minute then turned them off to see if I missed them and I couldn’t see any difference looking ahead.

Interesting, I tried my fogs on an empty country road and all they did was illuminate the grass verge either side almost level with the van so were useless. Left them on for about a minute then turned them off to see if I missed them and I couldn’t see any difference looking ahead.

100% agree

Got to admit I was not that impressed with the H7's on mine going home at night the other week. I used my fogs as well which helped out a bit though I can't say any one flashed me for using them (they don't blind you). Mind you it had been raining so the wet or damp roads do absorb the light

22,00 miles and the lights are still poor.
The Phillips aftermarket bulbs made a difference but still find it irksome that such and expensive vehicle comes with a lighting setup that is so wanting.

I've got led bulbs in my dogs so I do use them on some unlit A/B roads.... they help!

I've resorted to going on full beam and then just adjusting the lights down a lot. I hardly ever get flashed and the light is a lot better then. No it's not ideal but it feels a lot bloody safer when you can actually see what's on the road.

They light up the dark patch directly infront of van, if you cant see a difference then your eyes are fu*ked and probably shouldnt be on the road lol
As Andys said; looking ahead, they make no difference. The fogs add no further distance to the light beam. Filling in the gap between your head light beam and the front of your van isn’t technically helping.

I could easily turn this into a real good moan again but I really want to be proactive. First step, ring dealer.

I've got led bulbs in my dogs so I do use them on some unlit A/B roads.... they help!

I've resorted to going on full beam and then just adjusting the lights down a lot. I hardly ever get flashed and the light is a lot better then. No it's not ideal but it feels a lot bloomin safer when you can actually see what's on the road.
That’s a bit of extreme surgery :eek: Do they run in front of the van :D

I picked up the Van last October but did not really use it very much in the winter as did not go in for conversion till Feb so not driven it an exceptional amount in the dark although aware the lights are shocking.

I was driving back last Sunday in the dark and was actually flashed to turn my lights on! I'm going into VW as I do believe the lights are dangerous, I'm fairly sure they will do nothing but will make myself heard.

Kind Regards

Nick

I’m going to ring my dealer not that they will do anything as they’ve got my money.
I try to convince myself that the lights are ok but they are appalling.

Right, I really need to blow off some steam here.

I’ve never liked the H4’s but I always thought “maybe I overreact a bit” because if I take it easy I can see just enough.

Anyway, I’ve just had thee most stressful journey home from work...

Normally I know my routes home. I’m guessing that helps but, tonight I stayed behind at work and I drove to my Girlfriends place down in Essex as it was closer.

For the whole journey I felt like I couldn’t see a thing! Travelling on B roads that I didn’t know, was a total nightmare. I put my front fogs on which helped 2% more but I ended up having a few cars flash me...which sent me into an expletive rage!!!

I was towing 2 & 1/2 tons too so I wasn’t even going fast at all.

I know others cursed by the H4s have a similar story but I genuinely felt unsafe.

How are these acceptable? 42k van with candles for lights.

(Enter massive, long, drawn out swear word here) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just needed to rant. Thanks peeps x
I personally have sorted the light issue not being at all happy with the lights and after many months of soul searching having been a VW owner in some form or another for the past thirty odd years plus coupled with the overall size of the van and our rapidly increasing years I decided to bite the bullet and buy a sprinter And I must say how surprised i was at the van despite its size it drives just as well as the T6 its just as fast and the lights well there worlds apart Plus when the conversion is done by Affordable Van Conversions in Midsummer Norton Near Bristol start date the 20th December 2017 We will have A fixed double bed shower toilet seating and dinning area under slung water and waist tanks under slung gas tank solar panels trauma heating and the list goes on all for the price that my T6 was new granted its a late 2016 van and it was a pain trying to find one without any dents but its not impossible I Must say that i was gutted when i sold the T6 it was a fine van only let down by its lights and size How people holiday in them with kids puzzles me and fills me with admiration Even with just the two of us the inside of the van often looked like a hurricane had just swept through the van

Last edited:
Back