Looking to buy very soon, hopefully a kitted out T6.1

Just wondering what differences and preferences there were between diesel and gas heaters.
Seen one model with a Propex gas heater but also seen one with Wabasco diesel.

Which is the preferred heating fuel learned brethren?

Looking to buy very soon, hopefully a kitted out T6.1

Just wondering what differences and preferences there were between diesel and gas heaters.
Seen one model with a Propex gas heater but also seen one with Wabasco diesel.

Which is the preferred heating fuel learned brethren?
Propex really needs an underslung LPG tank.

Diesel just uses the van tank. Most common type of heating.

Propex good idea if you are having the LPG anyway
:thumbsup:

Depends on your planned usage. We have a Propex heater running off a standard 907 bottle, and we wouldn’t be without it, but it’s there as a top up for the odd time that we don‘t have hook-up.
So our actual heating gas usage is very low.

Pete

I had to Google "Wabasco" - turns out it is another of these words that have been mangled by those in the US of A - they mean Webasto, what is so difficult about spelling and saying that? o_O They turned Eberspacher into Espar as well!
Presumably a Wabasco runs on Tabasco sauce. :)
Told you I was new! :waving:
Yup, Webasto, I know now! ;)

Reactions: CAB
Eberspacher or Webasto blown air both diesel powered fitted where VW fit the very similar system from the factory. Hot air outlet location dependent on your camper fittings and leisure battery location. Heating air inlet in the driver's front door step.
Preferably fitted with a modulator (controller) that provides proper thermostat control allowing the heater to switch off completely when set temperature is reached. Installed like this the system will work just like a domestic central heating.

Both of these can be found at either PF Jones or Bowers to name but two. Expensive but excellent in use!

Much cheaper Chinese versions that seem to work well for most folks but do have occasional problems. Facebook group with info.

If you are reasonably handy at DIY all of these can be fitted by yourself. Do a search on here and you will find plenty of help, don't be afraid to ask.

When it looks like we may need the heating we switch our Eberspacher on before we leave home, set it at 16 degrees (Adjusting the temperature when we need to) and don't switch it off until we return home, sometimes being away for weeks at a time. Our controller is an 801, now superseded I believe.

Hi all
Has anyone used an alternative to a webasto
I want to fit one to my kombi thinking planar as cheaper than webasto
Also need to know which fits best under van as under drivers will be taken up with a subwoofer
If heater is external can the vents and ducts still be fitted under drivers seat
Cheers

Have a look at Planar and route the pipework into your B Pillar. You will need to exchange you existing B pillar , but this solution is very neat and compact. No need to use the space under the drivers seat. Just remember you will also need to fuse the heater to your aux. battery fuse box/battery. Hope that helps

B Pillar Cover for Warm Air Vent.jpg

I put a planar in my previous conversion 5 years ago - works very well but for the same reasons as@Skyliner33 couldn't bring myself to buy one for current conversion so have gone cheapie Chinese! The only thing I don't like about it so far is the garish multicoloured display that's on all the time so I've put an isolator switch on the supply!

I would appreciate somebody to explain reasons behind these 2 things:
1) why are people installing another Webasto/Eberspacher heater just for air heating when many already have one for engine preheating? IMHO install a valve to prevent the hot fluid flow to engine and run the built-in vent fan should be enough for chilly weather up to -5 C outside. what aspect am I missing here?
2) it seems to me that lots of campervans have gas hobs and even water heater, meaning that they have some kind of LPG tank (AFAIK it is the same propane-buthane) so it seems to me that using some kind of LPG-fueled heater would make more sense to me. again - what reasoning am I missing here? the only argument I noticed in this thread was that places where it is possible to fill up LPG are getting harder to find

1) why are people installing another Webasto/Eberspacher heater just for air heating when many already have one for engine preheating? IMHO install a valve to prevent the hot fluid flow to engine and run the built-in vent fan should be enough for chilly weather up to -5 C outside. what aspect am I missing here?
2) it seems to me that lots of campervans have gas hobs and even water heater, meaning that they have some kind of LPG tank (AFAIK it is the same propane-buthane) so it seems to me that using some kind of LPG-fueled heater would make more sense to me. again - what reasoning am I missing here? the only argument I noticed in this thread was that places where it is possible to fill up LPG are getting harder to find
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Not an expert on (1), but I believe not many UK spec vans have factory installed heaters.

As for (2), the majority of UK camper conversions will use Campingaz 907s, so not suitable for a gas heater.

There are some on here with LPG tanks, but they are more common on larger van conversions.

I agree though, if you have LPG then a gas heater makes sense.

Is there a reason diesel hob/heater combos aren’t more common? I might be missing something but for anyone fitting a hob anyway it makes a lot of sense; no gas storage needed in the van, fed off the main diesel tank so no worries about running out etc.

I know the Wallas is pricey but there are a few alternatives out there now from what I’ve seen, the Espar version is under a grand:

and there are some options on Ali as well (which I think Espar are just rebranding anyway by the looks!)

If anyone fancies reviewing either of those before August next year then that’d be great! :D

Last edited:
1) The coolant heater is 5Kw with a minimum output of 3Kw - the 3Kw will eventually roast people trying to sleep with it on let alone the 5Kw whereas a 2Kw air heater will run at 0.9Kw for those that require nighttime heating.
2) Size - the gas heaters tend to be bulky compared to a 2Kw heater so positioning can be problematic with a lot of van layouts. ( I personally have a gas tank, hob, oven and water heater but still fitted an underslung diesel heater, but then I repair Webasto heaters and always have several heaters in stock so can swap heaters anytime come overhaul time)

Is there a reason diesel hob/heater combos aren’t more common? I might be missing something but for anyone fitting a hob anyway it makes a lot of sense; no gas storage needed in the van, fed off the main diesel tank so no worries about running out etc.

I know the Wallas is pricey but there are a few alternatives out there now from what I’ve seen, the Espar version is under a grand:

and there are some options on Ali as well (which I think Espar are just rebranding anyway by the looks!)

If anyone fancies reviewing either of those before August next year then that’d be great! :D
We looked at the wallas when we were speccing our conversion. I came to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that it was a Jack of all trades, master of non. As a hob, it takes time to warm up and subsequently cool down. Not great in 40 deg heat when you want a quick brew. The responsiveness of the hob was also poor; pan starts to boil over, turn down hob, pan boils over.
As a heater, the heat is in the wrong place, I.e. half way up the van. We take our van skiing, it can be -20C outside & I want to sit in the van with warm tootsies, not having my head boiled while my feet freeze. Our Webasto outlet is in the back of the driver’s seat base, so the heat hits our feet first. Then rises:- “Ye canna change the laws o’physics Jim”
No doubt, there are people out there who are perfectly happy with the Wallas. But it just wasn’t for us.

As for (2), the majority of UK camper conversions will use Campingaz 907s, so not suitable for a gas heater.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I found on web, it is the very same propane-butane gas also in Campingaz container. Perfectly suitable for gas heater. Just like the gas hobs work with both Campingaz and LPG without need to change of nozzles etc (the thing you have to do to switch from methane to propane and vice versa) or am I missing something here?

1) The coolant heater is 5Kw with a minimum output of 3Kw - the 3Kw will eventually roast people trying to sleep with it on let alone the 5Kw whereas a 2Kw air heater will run at 0.9Kw for those that require nighttime heating.

IMHO you are missing one crucial aspect regarding roasting people - the heater heats the coolant and it is up to you how quickly you take that heat from coolant to actually heat the van - put smaller size of radiator and if fan is used, you can easily control it's speed or at least turn it on/off automatically based on air temperature.
I had missed the fact about difference of heat output power and that lead me to thought about possible installation of 60-100 litre heat accumulation tank - that would help to actually "use" the excess power of heater and reduce the number of times it has to turn on

Back