If you have a van its;
Motorway 70mph.
Single carriageway 50mph.
Dual carriageway 60mph.
Campervan it's 70mph,60mph,70mph.
If you go faster and get caught then tough. ;)

Mine was 84mph in high roof LWB Tran**t on dual carriageway. " But, officer I thought I could go 70!!" Got lucky, 3pts instead of a ban. Win, win. :):):)

I was travelling back from Scotland once, and noticed a dark blue Volvo had been following me for some time.
I was moving at around 125 and had been for some time.
He waited for me to get below 100 and then pulled me over.
Top guy, who said my driving had been excellent, but far to fast.
He was writing out a fixed penalty when a job came in. I joked that I would race him to his next shout, and he even laughed.

I was travelling back from Scotland once, and noticed a dark blue Volvo had been following me for some time.
I was moving at around 125 and had been for some time.
He waited for me to get below 100 and then pulled me over.
Top guy, who said my driving had been excellent, but far to fast.
He was writing out a fixed penalty when a job came in. I joked that I would race him to his next shout, and he even laughed.
A fixed penalty for north of 100? How long ago are we talking here? Regardless, you were a very lucky boy.

A fixed penalty for north of 100? How long ago are we talking here? Regardless, you were a very lucky boy.
I was travelling in excess of 120 for some miles.
He waited until I was below 100 to stop me.
I think the speed on the ticket was 98

I was travelling in excess of 120 for some miles.
He waited until I was below 100 to stop me.
I think the speed on the ticket was 98
As I say, very lucky - they usually wait until you exceed 100, measure you over a set distance and then pull you over... and then, in a few weeks' time, the court summons drops on your doormat.

As I say, very lucky - they usually wait until you exceed 100, measure you over a set distance and then pull you over... and then, in a few weeks' time, the court summons drops on your doormat.
Absolutely, as I say, this guy was only really interested in my driving style, but obviously couldn`t overlook the speed I was travelling at.

Top guy, who said my driving had been excellent, but far to fast
And he didn’t give you a medal? My close relatives are coppers and I can assure you they don’t enjoy helping Fire and Rescue cutting people out of wrecks.
For the record I’m no angel.

And he didn’t give you a medal? My close relatives are coppers and I can assure you they don’t enjoy helping Fire and Rescue cutting people out of wrecks.
For the record I’m no angel.
He was all out of gold stars that day.

Absolutely, as I say, this guy was only really interested in my driving style, but obviously couldn`t overlook the speed I was travelling at.
Been stopped on the M74 only once, despite making the journey up & down many, many times. Was heading home doing ~95 at the time, so it was a fair cop, even though the stretch of road was virtually empty. The guy that pulled me though, was a real nasty piece of work - he was rude, obnoxious, and overly aggressive (and they were his good traits) - he acted like I'd just shot his wife and buggered his daughter.

Speeding in a beemer with a non-Scottish plate - I guess in a Venn diagram of the things he hated, I fell right where all the categories overlapped.

I drove down from Leeds to Cambridge this morning and at a steady 60 mph I managed a respectable 48.5mpg! I'm very happy with that as it means I shouldn't have to fill up on my way back to Edinburgh on Friday.

Last edited:
I drive down from Leeds to Cambridge this morning and at a steady 60 mph I managed a respectable 48.5mpg! I'm very happy with that as it means I shouldn't have to fill up on my way back to Edinburgh on Friday.
That's in the downhill direction though - what will your van do uphill? ;)

Recent Wales to Scotland run in my T6.1 DSG 150bhp camper conversion. It's done 5k miles after that trip so the engine is still probably settling in.

I wanted to do a test at 70 mph on the cruise control all the way up. M5 > M6 > M74 to Glasgow. Got 36 mpg.

Did the same for the return journey. 34mpg.

I was expecting the drive back to Wales to be better, thought it was downhill from Scotland :)

Just got a very respectable 47mpg on a fairly stop start (M25) motorway journey - keeping it below 2000rpm makes it quite a difference!

I find turning the cruise control on, hits the mpg. I think it's because on a downhill, the engine runs along to maintain the speed, i.e. it's in gear, but my auto box goes into neutral when I lift off the accelerator pedal on the downhills. That helps the instantaneous mpg go from 70-90mpg to 200+mpg on the display.

Back