Drove from Scotland to Notts on the motorways. Steady 60mph with a mixture of cruise and not. Managed to get 41.5mpg which is good for me. I had cruise control fitted a few months ago and notice the engine never cruises along with no revs, when cruise control is on, but in auto (7speed 150bhp) when I glide down hill the mpg goes to max.

When I have the roofrack and sea kayaks on it never gets much above 30.

Just done a 350 mile round trip from Kent to the midlands and back, on cruise at 60 hit 50.7 on the way up (slight tail wind) and was at 48.7 by the time I got home, same speed on cruise at 60. Quite happy with that 204 DSG, I knock off the cruise on any down hill parts and let it go into coasting mode and then re engage cruise when it drops below the desired cruise speed.

Are you talking reading the numbers on the MFD or actual consumption calculations. If it's the former, in my experience it lies like a Russian President or British Prime Minister and does not compare to the real consumption over any sort of distance.

Its from the MFD I am happy enough to take those values, I accept it when it’s 35mpg and take it when it’s 48. However I will fill back up tomorrow morning and make a calculation to compare.

Are you talking reading the numbers on the MFD or actual consumption calculations. If it's the former, in my experience it lies like a Russian President or British Prime Minister and does not compare to the real consumption over any sort of distance.
Mine is bang on. Tested over many brim to brim fills.

Its from the MFD I am happy enough to take those values, I accept it when it’s 35mpg and take it when it’s 48. However I will fill back up tomorrow morning and make a calculation to compare.
That does sound high for a 204. I can’t even get that at 50mph
Be nice if it was accurate.

The MFD is a thing of fiction, but I've always found ( and still do on my new one ) the long term mpg displayed is very close to my brim to brim calculations. Currently 5k and 34.9mpg and rising.

I couldn’t get fuel first thing this morning, and ended up doing another 50 miles or so for work before I found any fuel, and that was mainly round towns and lanes so it pulled my average down quite a bit. When I filled up and calculated it, including the running around this morning it worked out at 41.88. Which I am still happy with. I took one pic on yesterday’s run on the way up north.

D6D7ACE7-07AA-4D01-B27C-F0F1AED04AFB.jpeg

Calais to Reims. 70 mph cruise on. Barely touched accel and brake. 35mpg on dash.
I know it’s fairly accurate though.
Can’t grumble too much with that.

Reactions: CAB
I'm averaging about 35mpg across all journeys. Range from 32 to 38 depending on type of road and speed. Going to France soon and will be interesting to see what mpg I get on the autoroute.

Troyes to Chambery. 4hrs, cruise set at 85 mph. 32 mpg. Not too shabby.

I’ve always gotten much better mpg on the continent than in the UK, likely the smoother tarmac and less middle lane hoggers in your way that does it. So much more relaxed too :)

To add my 2p.
150ps 2017 T6 kombi SWB 6 speed manual.
My MFD seams to correlate well to the old school tank to tank calculations.
Long term average is 34mpg which is usually a mix of half hour ish journeys in town and A roads. Driving style is average, not a snail pace but not driven GTA style either. Usually drive with fuel economy in mind but it doesn't possess my every move.
On longer runs I have found that unsurprisingly the wind and cruising speed make the most difference.
Motorway no real wind, 70mph, I will get around 42mpg.
On short runs under 20 mins it will be about 30mpg

My 150 DSG has improved slightly now the weather has warmed up a bit. I'm seeing about 33mpg now, as opposed to just about 30mpg through the winter.

Compared to our Tig 200 TDI DSG it's shit, but then last weekend I took the Mk2 Golf down to a show at Santa Pod where that slurped super unleaded at a rate of 29mpg, so perhaps the van isn't so bad.

IMG-20220419-WA0001.jpeg
120 mile trip on A1. Pumped the tyres up to 42 psi. Quite chuffed and hope it continues for rest of tank when I work it out properly, which is never far off.

Reactions: CAB
Back