Im not sure what size engine it was (silver TDI badge) but the courtesy van I was given hit an average of 69mpg on my drive to work. Picked the van up with 40mile left in tank, did 70 miles, put £5 and dropped it off with 65 remaining.

Its literally made me think I might go for a lower powered van next time as it cruised happily at 80mph and thats as fast as I ever go.

What also blew my mind was that it was a 5 speed manual!

had a courtesy van (LWB panel van) for a couple of days whilst VW had mine, not sure what engine was in it but it was a 6 speed manual and I averaged well over 50mpg!!
gutted when I jumped back in my van and dropped back down to mid 28’s!!

7374FB63-6F71-4C8F-BFD8-B071F7CF51A7.jpeg

:D
not so sure about that, my wife says my right foot must be made of lead!!
I probably drove the courtesy van steady subconsciously, just to make myself feel worse about my own vans mpg!!

This was mine whilst coming back from Volksfest Bristol this year. Makes the 13mpg on the Missus 5 litre supercharged Range Rover look a joke. :D

EAFFC670-6453-4D50-8577-90D7988B83E5.png

I also had a landrover discovery 3 auto, it was a suberb car when it was running right ( rarely) but only ever averaged 18mpg. Theres a lot to go wrong on them and it frequently does!

So I have a 150 caravelle, only do short journeys and normally average 32-35... the last couple of weeks its dropped right off to 25-27 for no apparent reason...?

I have used a few different types of diesel. ?

Any ideas..?

It's most likely doing a regen , have you noticed the fans on full speed when you switch the engine off , my mpg drops on my 150 when regen is happening and if it doesn't finish the regen on a journey then it will try again each journey

Regarding 150 DSG Caravelle.

Prior to a French holiday and overall average with very mixed driving : 36mpg

Whilst in France with 5 up and luggage including a heavy wheelchair;
Motorways : around 38mpg
Overall we averaged 32.6mpg, about 28mph over nearly a 1000 miles with a lot of it visiting D-day beaches and other historical sites and trundling around the countryside.

Since I have been back on two 60 mile round trips on A and B roads it has averaged 41.1mpg

Edit: all figures from the vehicles trip computer

I too have just returned from France after a months camping/hotels and travelling.

Used toll roads wherever possible, and drove at 65mph on cruise.

My 150 dsg kombi with camping gear in for four and two mountain bikes stats from the number 2 trip screen were;

Average speed 38mph
Mileage 2219
Travelling time 58hr 41mins
Average MPG 35.7 (real world probably 33mpg).

Pretty rubbish really, considering 90% of those miles were at 65mph and 1850rpm engine speed.

Still the perfect piece of kit for such a trip though, and driving it is pretty effortless.

My experience is that the on board display is consistently optimistic .... by about 5%

Mine is a 2018 TDI. During my week of vacations, we traveled 4 of us plus luggage, and averaged 36mpg during the trip. This figure was calculate using miles and gallons; not the trip computer (that mine doesn't have anyway). The average milage since I own it is around 29.3mpg, city and road traffic.

Im not sure what size engine it was (silver TDI badge) but the courtesy van I was given hit an average of 69mpg on my drive to work. Picked the van up with 40mile left in tank, did 70 miles, put £5 and dropped it off with 65 remaining.

Its literally made me think I might go for a lower powered van next time as it cruised happily at 80mph and thats as fast as I ever go.

What also blew my mind was that it was a 5 speed manual!

You must be talking about a different kind of car or performed some sort of sorcery. Mine is 2 litre TDI, 9 seater, 5 speed manual and have never made an MPG higher than 36, even if driving with much care given to the tach and the pedal.

I don't pay much attention to short term figures, but happened to look this morning after 20 miles of following lorries.

IMG_20190906_085449.jpg

Hi guys,

Help needed, only had my T6 for a couple of months now. I bought it from Leighton Vans and it has had some modifications 20inch wheels, side bars, roof bars and a Pendle remap to take it to 150bhp.

My fuel consumption is horrendous currently getting 21mpg around town and them 29-30mpg on motorway. I never really take the van over 2000 revs and never over 65-70mph on the motorway.

My thoughts are the 20inch wheels or possibly a bad remap?

Advice please what to do to get half decent mpg. I love the van but the mpg is really taking the excitement out of it.

With a 204hp DSG 4 motion I get 35mpg on motorway runs sitting at 80mph

The big wheels will certainly have an effect on the mpg.

Tbe remap probably so as well, you need feedback from others who has the same but it's a box and not really aerodynamic and poor mpg is a well known issue

Personally I think any changes with wheel sizes are going to make such a minor difference, that it won't justify the aesthetic look, over the cost of new wheels and tyres. By that, I mean you've gone out and purchased a Leighton van, which is more than likely because you wanted a nicer looking T6 over a standard one, to then remove the 20's and potentially move to 18" or even 17" wheels might ruin the look of your T6.
The T6 is notorious for slightly less than average fuel consumption when compared to it's rivals, but it can often be a lot heavier, more powerful and frankly a far better vehicle than it's rivals. Your figures above are not that different to what I get on a 204 DSG running 19" wheels, give or take a mile or 2.

Sometimes better, sometimes far worse. It's just part of my ownership of a commercial vehicle, and I don't see your figures as anything overly surprising, or where there is room for huge improvement on those figures.

Welcome to the forum though, and if you dig around the 'Search' facility, you will find many threads on MPG to give you a rough idea of what most people are getting in different situations.

Last edited:
Back