What did you do lately?

Took on restoration of a Dovecote that had sentimental value to a customer, they had tried several people but no one wanted to do it so I thought I would have a go... fill and sand, fill and sand, had to create the profiles from 2 cut angled edges of shiplap then glued together, didn't make loads of money out of it but I did a Repair Shop reveal when delivered and got a hug and kiss on the cheek :thumbsup:
IMG-20230414-WA0000 (1).jpgPXL_20230508_143652236.jpgPXL_20230520_141510831 (1).jpgPXL_20230722_125008009~2.jpgPXL_20230722_125028400.jpgPXL_20230729_143708102.jpgPXL_20230723_143308875.jpgPXL_20230801_162522789.jpgPXL_20230801_170723386.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing :confused:

Mega busy at work, too tired in the evenings, can’t wait for the weekend, when it comes just want to hide indoors and not do anything, dreading going back to work.

Gave an armful.
Shocking fact of the day:-
Only 4% of people eligible to donate blood in the UK do so. One day it could well save your life or that of a loved one. Please donate.

IMG_5638.jpeg

Gave an armful.
Only 4% of people eligible to donate blood in the UK do so. One day it could well save your life or that of a loved one. Please donate.

View attachment 221812
Due to major, open-heart surgery as a child, I am massively overdrawn at the blood bank and wholeheartedly endorse your call. Unfortunately, despite my consultant cardiologist providing written confirmation of my all-clear to donate blood, the bods in charge of the needles think they know better and refuse to accept my offers of donations - it's vert frustrating. :mad:

Due to major, open-heart surgery as a child, I am massively overdrawn at the blood bank and wholeheartedly endorse your call. Unfortunately, despite my consultant cardiologist providing written confirmation of my all-clear to donate blood, the bods in charge of the needles think they know better and refuse to accept my offers of donations - it's vert frustrating. :mad:
At least you tried:thumbsup:

Reactions: Bav
How to overcome the fear? I can’t stand the sight of blood and I would really like to be able to do that. A few times I have tried I felt like I was dizzy and passing out.

How to overcome the fear? I can’t stand the sight of blood and I would really like to be able to do that. A few times I have tried I felt like I was dizzy and passing out.
you don't actually see it. For the first few donations I was a real wuss, nearly keeling over, cold sweat etc. It literally is "all in the head". Now I just get comfy, tell the nurse to do what she needs to do, no running commentary please & I look the other way. Stick with it. Today was my 30th donation.

Gave an armful.

View attachment 221812
B rh positive here! over 50 pints given since I was a lad, but now have to travel 40mile round trip and book an appointment months in advance to give a free pint, so I struggle to make it nowadays which is sad, but being rare group I am on call if needed

B rh positive here! over 50 pints given since I was a lad, but now have to travel 40mile round trip and book an appointment months in advance to give a free pint, so I struggle to make it nowadays which is sad, but being rare group I am on call if needed
40 mile round trip is pretty rubbish tbh. I have at least 6 donation centres within 5 miles of home. We walked to today’s gig. Are you way out in the sticks?

Tried and tested solution of not looking works for me :thumbsup:

I must be honest, when I worked in an office that had a blood donor lorry visit I donated but have rarely done it since.

40 mile round trip is pretty rubbish tbh. I have at least 6 donation centres within 5 miles of home. We walked to today’s gig. Are you way out in the sticks?
Yes unfortunately, when I first used to go there would be 30-40 beds and it was a slick operation but as time went on there was less beds, less nurses and less need for blood with better procedures during operations.
They have pop up ones at fire stations near us in the urban areas but not so much rural.
Ah well I suppose that's progress:rolleyes:

Same here, I’m b+ and trying to book an appointment is crazy. I tried last month and the next slot was sometime in Feb about 15 miles away. The system seems blocked somehow.
Bizarrely I went to the gym the other day and the whole indoor hall had been taken over for blood donation. That’s never featured on the online list of venues even though it’s 2 miles away.

I give platelets but have to travel upto Oxford Street to do so, takes about an hour, next appointment in January

I’m O Rhesus Negative - the universal blood type that can be given to anyone.

Used to donate but now I’m on medication that means I can’t :whistle:

Used to donate on a regular basis, the sessions were held in a conference suite of a local hotel (within easy walking distance too) , and ran very efficiently. They then started to have them in different locations, and they became along drawn out process. The staff seemed more interested in chatting to each other, and I once walked out after waiting for 90 minutes after my appointment time.
Once the plague hit, they started to get a bit better, but the last twice I went, they managed to get the needle to go into the vein, and straight through the other side! Made some lovely coloured bruising though. As they can't seem to find a suitable vein in my right arm, I've stopped going for a bit.
If you are a bit squeamish, don't worry, you can't really see the blood bag when donating unless you really want to, and just close your eyes when they do the finger p***k test.

Back