What are you growing at the moment?

Teesix

T6 Guru
One thing the Covid-19 virus has brought home to me is my reliance on the easy availability of things, such as food, fruit, veg etc.

It would appear that we could now well be facing the real likelihood of certain shortages of our staples in the near future as lockdown rules means the farms might not be able to get the staff they need to plant, pick and process the food stuff we all take for granted everyday. It's not a localised thing, it stretches right across the EU where we import a lot of the fruit and veg we eat, and it's something we should maybe think about a bit.

On that basis I decided to consider viewing my garden more as a means of production rather than a means of leisure. I'm very lucky to have a garden but, unfortunate in that it's pointing in the wrong direction to the sun to effectively/successfully grow veg/fruit etc. However, it does get full sun in certain places so I decided on a huge plant-pot veg garden where I could move the pots around the garden to get maximum sun. I've so far managed to plant a load of stuff so far, including: potatoes, carrots, celery, parsnips, cabbage, onions, spring onions, red onions, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, :) cauliflower, coriander, Cos lettuce, rocket, scotch bonnet, jalapeno chilli, Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and peppers + +. That should hopefully reduce my reliance on the supermarkets and, if successful, I might well be able to donate any surplus to my friends and neighbours. That's the plan. All of these things can be grown from a window box if needs be.

If you don't have a garden you could maybe consider "gorilla growing". Simply find a patch of land, public or private (be sensible), and start growing on it. Who's going to object? The main point is, if you can grow it, you most definitely should. It's good for the environment too, considering the logistical issues of getting your veg to your plates. If you can get your community to get involved in some sort of "community grow", you could certainly grow a heap. .

So, are you growing anything? Can you give us any hints and tips of growing veg in your garden, or in containers?

Let us know.

weve been trying to grow stuff in pots on the window ledge . . . . . but mostly seem to be the death bringer to any plant-based-products.

so far, tried and failed to grow:

chilly plants
brussel sprout plant
mint plant - grows like weeds !
sunflower seeds
sage plant.

but the missus has had some luck with
aloe vera plants

back to the drawing board . . . .

We have a big enough garden to be able to have a permanent veg plot, and we have grown our own for 25 years.
The rule in our house is that if you can eat it, mow it or cut it down, then it’s my responsibility, and if it’s nice to look at, then it’s my wife’s :)

The taste of home grown veg is better, and we know ours is organic too.

This year we have potatoes (8 varieties :oops:), globe artichokes, Jerusalem artichokes, runner beans, French beans, sweet corn, beetroot, lettuce, tomatoes, 2 types of broccoli, courgettes, rocket, cucumbers, broad beans plus other stuff I have probably forgotten.

We are also working on an asparagus bed - this takes years to get established. We also have a small greenhouse.

If you have the space, then set out simple raised beds for vegetables. This makes maintenance much easier. And get a compost bin to recycle all your veg food waste - peelings etc.

Pete

When I lived in Stamford, we had an allotment for several years and it was fantastic. I've grown all the staples, but had the best success with potatoes and courgettes. Everything else grew fine on my allotment, but these were the real heroes for us.
I was lucky to be surrounded by long seasoned allotment holders with a wealth of experience, but I found that the best way things grew for me were regular weeding and daily feeds with a water that one of the other allotment members swore by. I got hold of a huge water container, the type you see in cages on farms that hold around 500lts of water. This was filled with rainwater over a long period of draining from anywhere I could. Then I kept feeding the water with horse manure. It smelt awful, but really boosted my yield. That's all I did with my allotment, kept immaculate clear and watered.
Courgettes are easy to grow anywhere with space for the plant to spread, and as fast as you remove the fully grown courgettes, they'd grow back. Garlic was another easy one to plant, maintain and yield a huge crop. Home grown garlic is like nothing you've ever tased before. I favoured the the Elephant garlic because it was mild and cooked very well.
Carrots were a pain because of pests, but sweetcorn worked well if you grow in blocks of mimimim 9's. Garden peas never got out of the allotment before they were eaten by my kids straight out of the pods.
I miss growing my own veg and found it extremely peaceful down at the allotment.

but the missus has had some luck with
aloe vera plants

We were given one of those about 5 years ago...its went from a little thing that sat on a window sill to a massive great thing. it multiplies at a similar rate to a Mogwai when given water. We keep on taking away the babies and giving them to people, but are fast running out of people to give them to. The whole covid thing hasn't helped, we have 6 here potted up and ready to offload, I'm slightly worried it might actually be a Triffid and it and its baby army are going to attack us at some point!

Other than this, we have an apple tree that deposits all of its fruit simultaneously every year and the perimeter of the property is awash of blackberry in summer. other than this, we grow grass...lots of it!

We were given one of those about 5 years ago...its went from a little thing that sat on a window sill to a massive great thing. it multiplies at a similar rate to a Mogwai when given water. We keep on taking away the babies and giving them to people, but are fast running out of people to give them to. The whole covid thing hasn't helped, we have 6 here potted up and ready to offload, I'm slightly worried it might actually be a Triffid and it and its baby army are going to attack us at some point!

Other than this, we have an apple tree that deposits all of its fruit simultaneously every year and the perimeter of the property is awash of blackberry in summer. other than this, we grow grass...lots of it!
Lol . . . . Snap.

You mean like this =)

20200423_092146.jpg

I’m still eating spaghetti squash that I harvested last September. Had just under 50 squash from 3 plants!
They do ‘roam’ a bit, heading towards the sun, last year the plants grew to about 7m long so they might need re-directing as they grow.
Very tasty.

Planted a small apple tree two years ago, along with raspberry and gooseberry bushes. However my back garden is north facing. I have two small plots that I want to grow veg in, but they're in shade most of the day. One patch I have rhubarb in, that just thrives. But any tips on what I could grow veg wise, in plots that dont really get direct sunshine?

We’ve just set some beans and peas etc so will see what comes of them.

A few years back I grew some lettuce and after harvesting quickly found out the soil was the wrong acidity, they were absolutely disgusting and actually pretty inedible!

I got hold of a huge water container, the type you see in cages on farms that hold around 500lts of water. This was filled with rainwater over a long period of draining from anywhere I could. Then I kept feeding the water with horse manure. It smelt awful, but really boosted my yield.
My dad had a lovely veg patch, and each year made stingy nettle fertilizer.
Again didn’t smell the best, but it’s free and easy to make.
Look online if anyone interested. :thumbsup:

If you don't have a garden you could maybe consider "gorilla growing". Simply find a patch of land, public or private (be sensible), and start growing on it. Who's going to object? The main point is, if you can grow it, you most definitely should. It's good for the environment too, considering the logistical issues of getting your veg to your plates. If you can get your community to get involved in some sort of "community grow", you could certainly grow a heap. .

great shout! this bit reminded me of this...

lots of groups around the country if anyone's interested in some old fashion community spirit :cool:

I've been using/drying my own chilli's for a few years. The plants are not doing so well this year, not sure why... One is 5 the other is in its 3rd year...
Planted another so let's see.
Also dropped a couple of sprouting spuds into a pot to see what happens. Will replant if they do something.

Back