A general rant

I've always encouraged my 4 boys to do as much as possible on the own houses
Fitting kitchens bathrooms flooring etc
But the one bit of advise I always give is buy the right tools for the job and buy a decent make in the grand scheme of things the tool price is small compared to getting someone else to do it
I’m stealing that line about tools to use with SWMBO when I’m shopping!!!

I'm coming around to the idea I'm going to have to do this bathroom myself too. I'm encouraged by the sheer scale of the job you've undertaken and are enjoying @Tourershine nice one mate.

@Eli Wirral is cool! :)
Except the coming parking charges at New Brighton and West Kirkby...:-/

Last edited:
So.... several weeks later.
Full first fix rewire done by a proper company that were fantastic.
Side concrete path cut, dug up, clay pipe found, section removed and new junction added, all to current building regs and all be me, because no one else wanted the job.
Rear patio lifted and a waste outlet tapped into main to accommodate the new utility room location, by me again.
Rear patio further around the house, lifted to solve the damp issue, where a rain water feed ran directly into a solid concrete block because the gutter installers didn't do their job correctly. Adding the correct plastic rainwater soak away was installed and the damp issue is now fixed, by me.
Concrete thresholds removed and all floors levelled by me. Not as easy as you'd assume when a huge part of the house needed the level lifting 35mm and general floor levelling products don't actually go that far per bag.
Full wall integrated wardrobe systems built and made to measure by me, to accommodate a new sliding door system. (far easier than the built in wardrobe companies claim and a bucket load cheaper than these people)
New feather edge fence installed where there wasn't a fence, by me, because no fencing contractors actually bothered to even come out to the job.
Roof copings on one side of the house, removed, re-bedded and re-pointed by me, because a roofer told me he wouldn't want a job that small. (at least he replied and was honest)
Plumber starts next week. Plasterers are in communication constantly to be as quick as possible once it's their turn.
My kitchen is being constructed as we speak. I still don't have a company to do my UPVC and front door, after 2 more companies came out, 1 hasn't got back to me and the other sent a price for a totally different house, (unless he saw upstairs windows in my bungalow that I'm not aware of) so he was quickly binned off.

My body aches, I'm covered in cuts and bruises for some odd reason, my washing machine is hating all the dust in my clothes, and I blow my nose at the end of the day to a very strange colour :eek: but I'm actually still really enjoying this. This fast learning curve has taught me to look carefully at every aspect of the job you are undertaking, do masses of research on the correct methods and current building regulations, and not get too bogged down in disappointment with potential contractors, because the bonus is when you find the right one and it's often purely down to fate, literally that.

All of the above might seem small to those who do this for a living, but I don't. Before all this, I wouldn't of cut a piece of wood for a shelf, because I didn't have the time or patience. My skills were better placed elsewhere, but this project has forced me to make the time and not be lazy by paying someone else to do the job.

Actually, that's not true, my time serves me better financially doing what I do best in my own business, and for what I paid for people to do other jobs around my house, I would be far better off using that time to do my own work, but alas that's changing.

Onwards and upwards.
You've saved a ton of money and you know it was done right, good on you.
I ache far more now after doing manual work than I did even five years ago, I guess all of us have to slow down eventually, however frustrating that is.
And like you I usually buy the levelling compound that I think will do the job, then have to buy more, and it's not cheap stuff.

And like you I usually buy the levelling compound that I think will do the job, then have to buy more, and it's not cheap stuff.

I did have to chuckle to myself. I ordered a 20kg bag, mixed it up thinking I was a proper floor engineer, using my newly purchased mixing paddle with total pride, only to pour it over the floor and it looked like I'd knocked over a cup of coffee.
The principal is great, but the reality is a 20kg bag is about enough to fill a small shallow pothole.

I've since purchased 2 tons of sand and did it the hard way with cement, but its level and that's all that matters.

Its not the same for everyone. I know a lot of trades that are really slow at the moment. I suppose it depends on the area.
I run a small commercial flooring firm and I only had work for 2 guys out of 6 last week.

A 20kg bag of latex screed should cover 5 sq. m at 3mm depth....... Should cost around £15ish quid depending on which you want. Always prime the floor first ! not with PVA either

I did have to chuckle to myself. I ordered a 20kg bag, mixed it up thinking I was a proper floor engineer, using my newly purchased mixing paddle with total pride, only to pour it over the floor and it looked like I'd knocked over a cup of coffee.
The principal is great, but the reality is a 20kg bag is about enough to fill a small shallow pothole.

I've since purchased 2 tons of sand and did it the hard way with cement, but its level and that's all that matters.
Cheaper too. I found out the hard way that it’s better to do most with sharp sand and cement, then throw a self levelling compound over it!

I’ve had the same experience with detailers for my T6. One never answers the phone, One didn’t reply even after eventually getting him on the phone. And one came around, gave a quote which was acceptable, then didn’t contact back. He then contacted after prompting, saying he was too busy !!!!
Time to do it myself. Which shouldn’t be necessary as it’s a new Van ! But that’s another story!
It’s been the same with every Trade I’ve tried in the past 18 months. I was quoted £1500 to build an under stairs cupboard then nothing. So I did it myself for £200 and got great satisfaction.
So I say have a go if you can.

can’t get anything done because of so many cowboys and traders coming to quote and never get back to me.

Back