A general rant

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
So recently I purchased another house, or a bungalow to be more precise.
This property was purchased from my mother in law and it was purchased with the intention of my wife and I moving into the bungalow and renting out our current house. We didn't buy the bungalow because I struggle with stairs or because we are thinking about when we get older, because we are both still in our 40s. We purchased it because it has a huge footprint and a driveway that will allow for my Motorhome to be parked out of the way, saving me my storage fees, in a quieter road on the edge of a town. We also decided to buy this for sentimental reasons and the obvious future financial benefits.

Now, this bungalow is built in the 60s and pretty much hasn't been touched since back then, apart from the odd wall colour change and replacement of facias, gutters etc. So to say it needed work is a total understatement. It needs everything, from bathroom and kitchen, to walls reconfigured to maximise rooms. Right up to a full re-wire to combat the ageing current (excuse the pun) system to accommodate all the updates and changes we require, adding into the mix a full heating system, and by full, I mean rip out and start again.

I'm not actually overly intimidated by this amount of work, because we've managed a project of this size before. However, what I hadn't taken into consideration was the sheer unwillingness of almost all trades to actually bother calling me back, let alone come out to quote for the work.
I literally called and emailed thirteen plumbers over a 2 week period. Not one called be back and not one replied to an email. I finally got a plumber through a T6forum member who lives the other end of the country to me, who will remain nameless, but over a few week period, did as much as he could to either advise me or find a heating engineer, which he did and who came around last night to look over the job, spontaneously capping off a gas pipe to allow for my spark to fit a bigger consumer unit, and to top it, he drove a T6.. So he will also get the job pending quote. (Thank you Dave by the way)

I called five electricians and only one called me back, who by the way, got the job worth nearly £7000 and starts on Monday.
I asked four plasterers to price up the job (a full house overboard on every ceiling and every wall skimmed) Two came out, one priced, the other said he would quote but never got back to me. The one that priced, got the job worth nearly £4000. (who, by the way came through Instagram as a follower of mine)

I asked two UPVC companies to price up windows and doors. Both came out to measure two weeks ago, neither have sent a price yet!
I contacted several EV charger fitters, only one got back to me.
I asked a gate company to price up an electric sliding gate, which he got up to £10,000 before I told him to stop talking and I didn't want to waste anymore of his time.
Three paving companies looked at my driveway, not one came back with a price.

Needless to say, this rant is less about letting off steam and more about asking WTF has happened to the world of work? I've been in business since 2008 and in all that time, I've never not called a customer back, never not replied to an email. I totally understand people are busy, but really???? Am I just out of touch?

Anyway.
I've been forced to not book in any work until March, which is fine because it's reasonably quiet for me anyway. I've decided to carry out as much of the work myself, which by the way, I've never built stud walls, extended rooms, built an ensuite, started to prep a driveway for block paving myself, installed a UPVC door, plaster boarded up fireplaces and many other projects I've never tried, but I've invested a fortune in the correct equipment and I'm bloody loving it. Every day I start something new in the house. I might be slower than a pro, but my work is perfectly level and maybe a little too bolt and braces, but no one else wanted to earn money doing the work, so sod em.

Next weeks project is concrete path excavation, tapping into an existing clay pipe to run all the wastes needed for my ensuite. Why? because no ground workers wanted the job because it was too small for them :rolleyes:

It is very strange at the moment. I wanted a TV mounting on the wall and surround sound cables tidying etc, different scale of work to the above. Tried several local “trades people” found via google/facebook/local recommendations. One didn’t respond to his own web page contact, another came to price, agreed a date and then rang to claim a long awaited hospital appt had come through and he couldn’t do heavy lifting for months. Next day he was posting on facebook how he was back in business and looking for work. A third agreed a date and then didn’t turn up, no contact and no response to answerphone etc.
Did the job myself in the end.
All you hear on the news is businesses looking for support from the government to compensate for covid problem either caused by restrictions or staff shortages. Maybe local trades people are now in the business of submitting claims or may be the workers went home after Brexit, very confusing.

I know, it's unbelieveable. I am thinking of getting an extension and internal walls removed for a remodel.
Early December I had an architect booked. 2 of them turned up to look at my home and take measurements both inside and out. I gave them a couple of ideas that I was thinking about.
They went away telling me they will produce a couple of drawings and send me costs etc.
I have heard didly squat and they now have not even bothered to reply to emails.
Guess I need to find another and start again.
Thats a wasted 2 months.

Reading stories like this is making me wonder if its better to leave it a year until everything settles down

Congratulations on your new place.

That's mad, and well done you for giving it a go.

Shame I'm so far away.... I'd help out with labouring for you. (But I'm too far away and have work scheduled till march already)

I suppose your local trades people are either too busy or can't be bothered.

Might be time to look farther afield.?...maybe a building firm that would take on most if that work and have a team of people to come down and stay local for 2minths to do the work?

I suppose that could be a gamble as the work quality could be unknown.

Gotta say from my point of view the work has gone crazy since the COVID lockdown restrictions have lifted.... All the site and work got put on hold for 18mnths etc.... Now it's all GO GO GO

Good luck with it and if there is anything we can help with let us know.

Hi Tourershine I feel your pain, I’m a construction manager and scale your problems up and that is my everyday task in the current climate.
All work at home I do myself now as my boss when I was young made all trades work with each other so we could back up each trade as and when needed, if I tried this today I would be out of a job.
Yesterday I needed to source some plasterers and they wanted to be paid £100 per day than myself or any of our senior commercial staff.
Yes the world has gone mad, the building game is riding the crest of a wave just now as it did circa 2006 but it will end soon and work will dry up and so called tradesmen will be crying out for work at pitifully low rates yet again.
It won’t help you or me just now.
I am tempted to put on my tool belt and boots and work half a day for 2 days wages every day as these conmen are doing just now.
Do the work yourself in the knowledge it has been done properly and at a fair price.

A lot of people use the ‘I’m isolating’ excuse for not doing jobs. I looked at someone’s leaking boiler last week because their usual plumber was isolating. I didn’t tell her I had seen him in the merchants the day before!

It's funny, a friend of mine who's a builder (a trade I don't actually need ironically) He said most tradesmen are adding upto 50% on top of their usual price and cherry picking those that are desperate for the work and they are still busy on these much higher rates.

I know it means little to a lot of trades, but a good plumber, spark, chippy etc, us for life in my experience.

I used my last guys in Stamford on 2 house renovations.

I had a similar experience with my little holiday cottage in Northumberland. I wanted a dormer roof extension put in to give a little more headroom in the bedroom. Being a confident draughtsman I drew up and submitted the plans and application for planning permission which subsequently went through smoothly.
However I must have rung half a dozen builders in roofers, managed to get 2 to actually come around and measure up and promise quotes followed by absolutely nothing. I told them I was happy fit it to be done slow pace if they had any more pressing jobs etc.
I've now shelved it and sold the cottage.

We had a a similar issue when we did our house (“bungalow-eating”: roof off, two en-suite bedrooms in roof, three external walls standing, complete reconfiguration inside, full replumb and re-wire!) In the end we managed the project ourselves. We had a plumber lined up and got a carpenter. We had to throw the brickie and sparky offsite and get new ones. All the other work we did ourselves - drains, bathroom and kitchen fitting.

The advantage is you know it is done properly and can easily maintain it.

The current market supports cowboys, I’m afraid.

So if you are doing this for yourself, and thinking long-term, have you thought about a heat pump/ground source(borehole) and solar with a complete ground floor underfloor heating (concrete slab)?

Early December I had an architect booked. 2 of them turned up to look at my home and take measurements both inside and out. I gave them a couple of ideas that I was thinking about.
They went away telling me they will produce a couple of drawings and send me costs etc.
I have heard didly squat and they now have not even bothered to reply to emails.
Guess I need to find another and start again.

Errrr, hello :waving:

@Tourershine Just make sure you get the necessary permission for work that is carried out. Obviously water, gas and sparks need to be certified, but you mentioned windows and doors. You'll need a FENSA registered installer, or get building regs approval. Structural alterations may need calcs from an engineer etc.

Whilst you won't go to prison if you knock a wall out or fit a new window, but it might bite you if and when you or your kids come to sell. It's worth a chat with your local building inspectors to see what you can and can't do and how to go about making sure you get all the correct boxes ticked.

As a spark I find that "some" people assume (incorrectly) that I'm waiting for the phone to ring and they want something done immediately.

The most common seems to be kitchens as the call goes

"we are having our kitchen done and we need some electrics done"
- "when is it being delivered?"
- "tomorrow" -
- "I might be able to do it in 4 weeks"
- "are you sure you can't fit me in"
- no!

I always call people back too - even to say I'm too busy - that's just courtesy

As a spark I find that "some" people assume (incorrectly) that I'm waiting for the phone to ring and they want something done immediately.

The most common seems to be kitchens as the call goes

"we are having our kitchen done and we need some electrics done"
- "when is it being delivered?"
- "tomorrow" -
- "I might be able to do it in 4 weeks"
- "are you sure you can't fit me in"
- no!

I always call people back too - even to say I'm too busy - that's just courtesy
If only they’d pay their invoice as urgently!

I'm a handyman and even tho it doesn't take long to reply to a job request, text to say you are busy and will them contact later on or text to say you are running late to get to a job, people REALLY do appreciate it and the number of times I've heard them say thanks for getting back to so soon makes you realise how bad it is

Unfortunately this seems to be the way of things now.

I needed new fascias and guttering on a normal house and garage. It took 6 months before we eventually got work started. Scaffolding went up great, but then the roofing contractor took ages and sent 4 different teams as the work progressed, none ever knowing what the previous team had done.

They finished, eventually. The fascias were generally ok, the guttering had several faults that I had to fix, but they made a dreadful mess of the roof that took me 5 days to put right. Very fortunately they left the scaffolding up longer than they should have, and I'm an engineer and reasonably handy so got stuck in to making good their work. But for many that wouldn't be an option. I didn't fancy even trying to get them to fix it, I just paid them off and did my best to put it right.

I'm a handyman and even tho it doesn't take long to reply to a job request, text to say you are busy and will them contact later on or text to say you are running late to get to a job, people REALLY do appreciate it and the number of times I've heard them say thanks for getting back to so soon makes you realise how bad it is
A simple text makes a world of difference and earns you a good name for reliability!

Back