What are you growing at the moment?

Love growing food - need a polytunnel on Scotland’s east coast to achieve a long enough growing season. Grow all the usual stuff but last year tried some Asian stuff - black cumin, coriander for seed, lemongrass, ginger etc. Also finally had success with a lemon tree after years of trying! Lemon tree photo taken this week, raised beds/polytunnel from last summer. My favourite place to be after my camper...58ACDB74-2ECF-4804-915A-D606422870C3.jpeg8ED94579-9522-4686-BB3A-E89D3084D67D.jpeg

Planted a small apple tree two years ago, along with raspberry and gooseberry bushes. However my back garden is north facing. I have two small plots that I want to grow veg in, but they're in shade most of the day. One patch I have rhubarb in, that just thrives. But any tips on what I could grow veg wise, in plots that dont really get direct sunshine?
Carrots and brassicas (kale, cabbages, broccoli etc.) should work in shade along with lettuce & beetroot. I’ve never had much luck with cabbages due to the annual slug tsunami.

Thanks @Ian28. I'll try some broccoli and carrots I think. I know what you mean about slugs. Although this years been drier. Seem to be more snails than slugs. Having a pond is handy, as I get a fair few frogs to help control slugs. But I could do with a hedgehog taking up residence under a shed or the decking to help out.

Love growing food - need a polytunnel on Scotland’s east coast to achieve a long enough growing season. Grow all the usual stuff but last year tried some Asian stuff - black cumin, coriander for seed, lemongrass, ginger etc. Also finally had success with a lemon tree after years of trying! Lemon tree photo taken this week, raised beds/polytunnel from last summer. My favourite place to be after my camper...View attachment 66969View attachment 66970

Now that's my kind of garden.
How old is the lemon tree? I assume you purchased it as an established plant and not started from scratch?

A lot of you Green fingered members put my offering to Shame....our garden mainly shrubs and climbers, but we’ve last year started some micro fruit trees..but we love Rhubarb .... Umm rhubarb crumble and custard....doesn’t matter what you grow, home grown tastes so much nicer
5264EF37-46B4-45D7-9951-0907F2C5F1A7.jpeg

8F86859D-EFEA-485B-98D7-39CBF82832E5.jpeg
Lettuce, spinach, rocket, radish, beetroot, chard, garlic and shallots. Mange tout, potatoes, runner beans, tomatoes, chillis and courgettes all doing fine as well. Last year didn’t grow a thing other than soft fruit from established bushes as usually away in the van. Next year hopefully no veg but lots of travels!

Now that's my kind of garden.
How old is the lemon tree? I assume you purchased it as an established plant and not started from scratch?
The lemon tree I bought as an established tree last Spring with a couple of tiny green lemons on it. I found the trick is to water/feed it only occasionally and keep it out of the polytunnel as the temperature swings were too much. It can tolerate temperatures down to single figures and the most important thing is to make sure it gets as much light as possible. Got it from the Citrus Centre in West Sussex and they provide brilliant care sheets.

Brilliant! Loving everyone's efforts. Quite inspiring. Thank you.
Happy to say that 3 peas have sprouted and I've got a few more in a poorly lit greenhouse that may sprout. The Thai Basil has sprouted and the parsley has also started to spout. I thinned some carrot shoots today along with some rocket and cos lettuce so things are starting to happen. The lettuce looks like they're bolting in their beds so need to find some place sunnier for those in pots. I sort of expected that.
Now that I'm into it I'm checking the progress every hour or so. I know that stuff grows pretty slowly that way but I can't help myself. I'm getting really impatient. GROW! JUST GROW ALREADY!!
Loving your set-ups. Keep em coming, they just make me want to plant more LOL.

View attachment 67039
Lettuce, spinach, rocket, radish, beetroot, chard, garlic and shallots. Mange tout, potatoes, runner beans, tomatoes, chillis and courgettes all doing fine as well. Last year didn’t grow a thing other than soft fruit from established bushes as usually away in the van. Next year hopefully no veg but lots of travels!
That picture alone has taught me so much about thinning too early! Thank you!

Quick question whats good for making a raised bed frame other than sleepers. Thanks
My outdoor raised beds are pressure treated timber planks (had them about 15 years and just starting to show their age) and I have some inside the polytunnel made with recycled plastic kits that snap together.

Love growing food - need a polytunnel on Scotland’s east coast to achieve a long enough growing season. Grow all the usual stuff but last year tried some Asian stuff - black cumin, coriander for seed, lemongrass, ginger etc. Also finally had success with a lemon tree after years of trying! Lemon tree photo taken this week, raised beds/polytunnel from last summer. My favourite place to be after my camper...
I'm totally inspired! That's what I'm aiming for!

Quick question whats good for making a raised bed frame other than sleepers. Thanks

Depends how high you want it. We wanted ours a little higher than the path, to help with weeds. We use 3” square fence posts on their sides, 2 posts high and screwed together. They are cheap and readily available.

Pete

If you can get old scaffold boards (10 x 2in or similar) you can have single highs or double beds ( use cheap fence posts for corners ) and plastic line the wood ( stop wet earth rotting ur timbers) but any boards, like gravel board ( 6 x 1 in ) will do .,as long as you put support on the sides to stop bowing (it does not have to look pretty ) I made this for a customer last year ....it’s heavy duty but gives an idea
B1B3AB9B-242D-44CA-9242-86BBF2E205F5.jpeg

Back