A general rant

So if you are doing this for yourself, and thinking long-term, have you thought about a heat pump/ground source(borehole) and solar with a complete ground floor underfloor heating (concrete slab)?

Yes it was a consideration, but it is a concrete floor and I was told I'd need to either raise the level of the floor, which isn't really practical, or I'd have to drop the level of the floor, which would be an insane amount of work. Plus my original budget, which I thought was pretty hefty, turned out to not be enough, so we had to compromise in places to give us the fixtures and finish we wanted.

Last July we completed a new build on the west coast, Thankfully we had contracted with a big, reputable main contractor almost a year before, but it was obvious that even they were struggling to get trades for all of this year despite being about the biggest main contractor in the area. Talking to our architects last week they highlighted 3 ongoing problems across the country:
  1. So many jobs are queuing up because of the delays caused by the various lockdowns and restrictions, and ongoing jobs are taking longer because of difficulty in getting materials
  2. A lot of Eastern European skilled trades people have gone back to their own countries because of Brexit
  3. A significant proportion of the UK joiners/builders are older people who are either retiring or do not want to do a lot of heavy lifting and outside work in winter
It will probably be a year to 18 months before things get back to some semblance of normality

i always ask for a mobile number and if I am going to be late, let them know
Our window cleaner sends us a text the evening before his appointment to remind us that he is coming out. We don’t need to be present, but it’s a nice gesture.

Sadly same story here. Needed our flat roof refelting last year, lost count of the ones that didn't even ring back. Fortunately I was a chipy many moons back so can do most jobs around the house. But yes it seems most trades have so much work they can be picky on what they want to do.

tried to get someone out to quote for a shower replacement, out of 4, one turned up, it then took him 2 months to send anything which was just a fag packet guestimate - Four grand, we supply nothing.
Small bathroom, if i ever see him again... :mad:

So recently I purchased another house, or a bungalow to be more precise.
This property was purchased from my mother in law and it was purchased with the intention of my wife and I moving into the bungalow and renting out our current house. We didn't buy the bungalow because I struggle with stairs or because we are thinking about when we get older, because we are both still in our 40s. We purchased it because it has a huge footprint and a driveway that will allow for my Motorhome to be parked out of the way, saving me my storage fees, in a quieter road on the edge of a town. We also decided to buy this for sentimental reasons and the obvious future financial benefits.

Now, this bungalow is built in the 60s and pretty much hasn't been touched since back then, apart from the odd wall colour change and replacement of facias, gutters etc. So to say it needed work is a total understatement. It needs everything, from bathroom and kitchen, to walls reconfigured to maximise rooms. Right up to a full re-wire to combat the ageing current (excuse the pun) system to accommodate all the updates and changes we require, adding into the mix a full heating system, and by full, I mean rip out and start again.

I'm not actually overly intimidated by this amount of work, because we've managed a project of this size before. However, what I hadn't taken into consideration was the sheer unwillingness of almost all trades to actually bother calling me back, let alone come out to quote for the work.
I literally called and emailed thirteen plumbers over a 2 week period. Not one called be back and not one replied to an email. I finally got a plumber through a T6forum member who lives the other end of the country to me, who will remain nameless, but over a few week period, did as much as he could to either advise me or find a heating engineer, which he did and who came around last night to look over the job, spontaneously capping off a gas pipe to allow for my spark to fit a bigger consumer unit, and to top it, he drove a T6.. So he will also get the job pending quote. (Thank you Dave by the way)

I called five electricians and only one called me back, who by the way, got the job worth nearly £7000 and starts on Monday.
I asked four plasterers to price up the job (a full house overboard on every ceiling and every wall skimmed) Two came out, one priced, the other said he would quote but never got back to me. The one that priced, got the job worth nearly £4000. (who, by the way came through Instagram as a follower of mine)

I asked two UPVC companies to price up windows and doors. Both came out to measure two weeks ago, neither have sent a price yet!
I contacted several EV charger fitters, only one got back to me.
I asked a gate company to price up an electric sliding gate, which he got up to £10,000 before I told him to stop talking and I didn't want to waste anymore of his time.
Three paving companies looked at my driveway, not one came back with a price.

Needless to say, this rant is less about letting off steam and more about asking WTF has happened to the world of work? I've been in business since 2008 and in all that time, I've never not called a customer back, never not replied to an email. I totally understand people are busy, but really???? Am I just out of touch?

Anyway.
I've been forced to not book in any work until March, which is fine because it's reasonably quiet for me anyway. I've decided to carry out as much of the work myself, which by the way, I've never built stud walls, extended rooms, built an ensuite, started to prep a driveway for block paving myself, installed a UPVC door, plaster boarded up fireplaces and many other projects I've never tried, but I've invested a fortune in the correct equipment and I'm bloody loving it. Every day I start something new in the house. I might be slower than a pro, but my work is perfectly level and maybe a little too bolt and braces, but no one else wanted to earn money doing the work, so sod em.

Next weeks project is concrete path excavation, tapping into an existing clay pipe to run all the wastes needed for my ensuite. Why? because no ground workers wanted the job because it was too small for them :rolleyes:

join the club mate

bought a 1938 bungalow back in april last year
needed extension removing ( illegally built), asbestos roof stripping, all ceilings stripping, full rewire, full heating system and hot water system( all electric due to no gas in the village and didnt want oil fired or lpg bottles ( unsuitable for airsource )
needed drive ripping up and starting again, loads of brickwork repairs , internal walls moving and lots more

finally found a builder/roofer in november last year, who then kicked off about 16week min delay on roof tiles ( i managed to source direct from the maunfacturer ;) ;) and ordered and had delivered within 3 day ( pays to know the right people lol )

all roof work done now, and knocked about a fair bit inside

just waiting for sparks n plumber to book dates then should be on a roll

tried no end of contractors, but even getting a call back was like pi55ing in the wind!!

keep pushing and hopefully you will get there in the end

I’ve had simulate issue …. I’ve turned my dads bungalow into a holiday let needed plumber and electrician … I must have tried 6 plumbers before was successful ….strange times

I had drawings done for a single storey extension across the back of my house which cost £1200 no hassle. I then spoke to 3 different builders, all said about £70k, on the day the one we chose was supposed to start, I called him to ask if he is starting today and his response was " nah, lets leave it" WTF. I refuse to chase anyone to spend £70k

I had drawings done for a single storey extension across the back of my house which cost £1200 no hassle. I then spoke to 3 different builders, all said about £70k, on the day the one we chose was supposed to start, I called him to ask if he is starting today and his response was " nah, lets leave it" WTF. I refuse to chase anyone to spend £70k
WTAF?!!!

Reactions: Eli
Im in the process of trying to get some drawings done for a single story extension. Makes me wonder if it’s worth the bother at the moment.

Im in the process of trying to get some drawings done for a single story extension. Makes me wonder if it’s worth the bother at the moment.
I'd be more inclined to secure a reputable builder first, once you get planning permission it is only good for 3 years (or at least it is on the Wirral)

I'd be more inclined to secure a reputable builder first, once you get planning permission it is only good for 3 years (or at least it is on the Wirral)
I plan on staying within limits so i wont need planning permission. 3 yrs Jeez id rather move house.

Sadly it's just a case of supply and demand. There's so much work out there at the moment, you can literally choose what you want to do.

Saying that, there's no excuse no to reply to people's enquiries. That's just bad business!

For the last 12 months we've been manic, with little to no rest bite (general builders, but we do an awful lot of school works). Last year was actually one our best years for a long time.

Also, if anyone around Greater Manchester needs a builder, let me know!

Sadly it's just a case of supply and demand. There's so much work out there at the moment, you can literally choose what you want to do.

Saying that, there's no excuse no to reply to people's enquiries. That's just bad business!

For the last 12 months we've been manic, with little to no rest bite (general builders, but we do an awful lot of school works). Last year was actually one our best years for a long time.

Also, if anyone around Greater Manchester needs a builder, let me know!
pm incoming.

So.... several weeks later.
Full first fix rewire done by a proper company that were fantastic.
Side concrete path cut, dug up, clay pipe found, section removed and new junction added, all to current building regs and all be me, because no one else wanted the job.
Rear patio lifted and a waste outlet tapped into main to accommodate the new utility room location, by me again.
Rear patio further around the house, lifted to solve the damp issue, where a rain water feed ran directly into a solid concrete block because the gutter installers didn't do their job correctly. Adding the correct plastic rainwater soak away was installed and the damp issue is now fixed, by me.
Concrete thresholds removed and all floors levelled by me. Not as easy as you'd assume when a huge part of the house needed the level lifting 35mm and general floor levelling products don't actually go that far per bag.
Full wall integrated wardrobe systems built and made to measure by me, to accommodate a new sliding door system. (far easier than the built in wardrobe companies claim and a bucket load cheaper than these people)
New feather edge fence installed where there wasn't a fence, by me, because no fencing contractors actually bothered to even come out to the job.
Roof copings on one side of the house, removed, re-bedded and re-pointed by me, because a roofer told me he wouldn't want a job that small. (at least he replied and was honest)
Plumber starts next week. Plasterers are in communication constantly to be as quick as possible once it's their turn.
My kitchen is being constructed as we speak. I still don't have a company to do my UPVC and front door, after 2 more companies came out, 1 hasn't got back to me and the other sent a price for a totally different house, (unless he saw upstairs windows in my bungalow that I'm not aware of) so he was quickly binned off.

My body aches, I'm covered in cuts and bruises for some odd reason, my washing machine is hating all the dust in my clothes, and I blow my nose at the end of the day to a very strange colour :eek: but I'm actually still really enjoying this. This fast learning curve has taught me to look carefully at every aspect of the job you are undertaking, do masses of research on the correct methods and current building regulations, and not get too bogged down in disappointment with potential contractors, because the bonus is when you find the right one and it's often purely down to fate, literally that.

All of the above might seem small to those who do this for a living, but I don't. Before all this, I wouldn't of cut a piece of wood for a shelf, because I didn't have the time or patience. My skills were better placed elsewhere, but this project has forced me to make the time and not be lazy by paying someone else to do the job.

Actually, that's not true, my time serves me better financially doing what I do best in my own business, and for what I paid for people to do other jobs around my house, I would be far better off using that time to do my own work, but alas that's changing.

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
Really pleased to hear how you are getting on with the house. You will save a small fortune, feel better and know jobs have been done properly

I've always encouraged my 4 boys to do as much as possible on the own houses
Fitting kitchens bathrooms flooring etc
But the one bit of advise I always give is buy the right tools for the job and buy a decent make in the grand scheme of things the tool price is small compared to getting someone else to do it

Back