Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

Hi All.

I'm currently lugging around almost 5kg of excess weight on my van in the guise of dead flies splattered across the entirety of the front end. Just wondering what you guys recommend for the removal of said unsightly mess?

TIA
I give the whole front a good soaking in snow foam then before it dries I do it again. I find that the pressure washer then gets 95% of them off. Of course, there's no point trying to do any of that unless you've got some shade if it's a sunny day. The last 5% comes off easily enough with a wash mitt.

I give the whole front a good soaking in snow foam then before it dries I do it again. I find that the pressure washer then gets 95% of them off. Of course, there's no point trying to do any of that unless you've got some shade if it's a sunny day. The last 5% comes off easily enough with a wash mitt.
Thanks Dave.

Microfibre cloths soaked in very hot water and left on the surface to help soften the bodies up before wiping them off, rinse and repeat.

Hey @Bav i used a Citrus based pre cleaner that I spray on and let dwell for 10 mins then jet wash off.

How that helps

Reactions: Bav
been using autosmart the last 4 years on numerous vehicles can't fault

autosmart G101 for debugging and cleaning wheels still use autoglym tar remover
autosmart duet duo wash and wax
autosmart cobalt spray polish spray on while wet and dry vechile and buff with a micro cloot

View attachment 193494
G101 is so useful. I use it diluted at 1:30 for general cleaning, and 1:10 for heavy duty grime.
Cobalt is also good for a quick shine and seal, even use it on our bikes to ease washing mud off.

How are you using the Duet @pip13 ? can you apply as a snow foam?

G101 is so useful. I use it diluted at 1:30 for general cleaning, and 1:10 for heavy duty grime.
Cobalt is also good for a quick shine and seal, even use it on our bikes to ease washing mud off.

How are you using the Duet @pip13 ? can you apply as a snow foam?
never tried it as a snow foam proberly can't see how it would'nt work but i just put a gulg of it in a bucket of hot water

I bought some spray on shine liquid which came in an orange bottle. Spray on and immediately wash off, some water repellency and shine. I ran out over the weekend and inadvertently threw the bottle away before remembering to reorder. Now I can't find the email or what it's called. Anyone help me please? The bottle has a hexagonal shape not round like a traditional bottle.
Thanks.

Found it! Gyeon Q2M wetcoat.

Last edited:
@Texxaco. I've not actually used it but might well do tomorrow if it's not too warm. I did however try my new MTM SGS35 stubby pressure washer gun and snow foam attachment with Bilt Hamber Touch Less for the first time (on my Audi Q5) earlier today and was really impressed. The car wasn't super dirty but was very dusty with a lot of bird crap - gave it the foam, rinsed off and decided not to bother with a further wash as it looked good enough. My best guess is that the car was around 85-90% clean. Mind you, I'm the first to confess confess that I'm not really a clean car kind of a guy and only tend get really enthusiastic about it 3 or 4 times a year.

...I'm not really a clean car kind of a guy and only tend get really enthusiastic about it 3 or 4 times a year.
Sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

I'd like to care more but, fundamentally, I'm a lazy sod and my only motivation is the shame of a dirty van. If I could convince myself that a professionally-applied ceramic coating could mean I wouldn't have to ever perform a contact wash again, then I'd go that route, though I suspect I'd just be kidding myself.

Well I gave the van a good wash and shine this morning and I've got to say that I'm still seriously impressed with the Bily Hamber Touch Less foam. Indeed, if I hadn't have been wanting to put a seal on after washing this morning, I might have just left it after rinsing the foam off. That said, I'm not quite so impressed with the Gyeon Wet Coat. I thought I had followed the instructions by wetting thoroughly a section at a time, spraying with wet coat and rinsing thoroughly but was still left with drying marks all over which needed a chamois to get rid. I also seemed to have used quite a bit of the stuff so it could prove quite an expansive proposition if I washed the van a lot (which I don't!). Maybe I did something wrong but I don't think so - also, I doubt if our quite hard water helped. In any event, I don't think I'll be rushing to buy it again.
As I said elsewhere on here, I did the job with a newly acquired MTM SGS35 stubby trigger gun but I forgot to mention that I added a couple of wand/lance extension pieces which made the job of cleaning the roof in particular much easier. I reckon they're a bargain at less that £16 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09SJ2DMDW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details).
001.jpg002.jpg

Give Mile Deep Shield and Sheen a go… Shield is ceramic foam sealant that you spray on and then rinse off and Sheen is a gloss drying aid.

I’ve been using both since the start of the year and have been really impressed with them.

There is a good fb group called the car boutique where there are lots of product reviews and support.

IMG_6327.jpeg

Give Mile Deep Shield and Sheen a go… Shield is ceramic foam sealant that you spray on and then rinse off and Sheen is a gloss drying aid.

I’ve been using both since the start of the year and have been really impressed with them.

There is a good fb group called the car boutique where there are lots of product reviews and support.

View attachment 200737
Similar to the new Bilt Hamber touch on …. Spray it on after washing leaves a good shine

Usually a stickler for AutoGlym products but the local Halfords were out of their snow foam so I bit the bullet at the weekend and tried Halfords ultimate snow foam
>>Clicky thingy<<
Have to say, very impressed with it, trialled on the wife's car before the trying on the van.
Really good thick coverage, doesn't dissipate in a matter of minutes like others I have used, there were still remnant's on the drive after 5hrs and a few downpours.
As there was an offer on, also purchased their quick detailing spray, again very impressed, left a great shine and very good hydrophobic covering. I might have been converted away from AG, might try a few other thins from their "ultimate" range.

Back