Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Wash & Wax time . . . . . . but which one and how?

So kinda as the title implies it time to wash the van... (getting tree sap on paintwork from that poxy tree)

took to the local american hand car wash was yesterday for the external wash . . £10 later all nice and shiny

but they never do a proper wax to protect the bodywork. (just that odd liquid spray stuff)

so this morning it was wax time..

@Tourershine would be very proud of me.

before wax . . . . .

20180707_113810.jpg

and after wax . . .

20180707_122442.jpg

Now i always used to use "mer" in the blue bottle with the gold cap . . . . (remember all those guys at the Sunday market using mer on a mini bonnet and setting fire to it to show how good mer was =])

anyway . . . decided to try this for a change . . .

20180707_124224.jpg

ok . . . So i know the proceedure.

- rinse off van
- wash van with soapy water (not washing up liquid)
- rinse off van
- dry van with chamois to get rid of water spots
- apply wax in cool temp/out of direct sunlight
- rub off wax
- stand back and pat yourself on the back for a job well done
- crack open a beer and relax

My questions to all you T6 Valeting Gods are:

what different methods are there,?
what wax/wash products do you all use?
how do you all wash your motors (carwash/handwash/wash at home jetwash/dont wash/other)?

So basically who does what, when and how............................ GO >

More info over here > Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
Wash & Wax time . . . . . . but which one and how?

So kinda as the title implies it time to wash the van... (getting tree sap on paintwork from that poxy tree)

took to the local american hand car wash was yesterday for the external wash . . £10 later all nice and shiny

but they never do a proper wax to protect the bodywork. (just that odd liquid spray stuff)

so this morning it was wax time..

@Tourershine would be very proud of me.

before wax . . . . .

View attachment 25131

and after wax . . .

View attachment 25132

Now i always used to use "mer" in the blue bottle with the gold cap . . . . (remember all those guys at the Sunday market using mer on a mini bonnet and setting fire to it to show how good mer was =])

anyway . . . decided to try this for a change . . .

View attachment 25133

ok . . . So i know the proceedure.

- rinse off van
- wash van with soapy water (not washing up liquid)
- rinse off van
- dry van with chamois to get rid of water spots
- apply wax in cool temp/out of direct sunlight
- rub off wax
- stand back and pat yourself on the back for a job well done
- crack open a beer and relax

My questions to all you T6 Valeting Gods are:

what different methods are there,?
what wax/wash products do you all use?
how do you all wash your motors (carwash/handwash/wash at home jetwash/dont wash/other)?

So basically who does what, when and how............................ GO >
Looking good,
You really want to seal in all your hard work now over the top of ag srp
Something like ag uhd wax would be great

Last edited:
my order is as follows

de-bug and tar
Autogylm polar blast snowfoam
Rinse
Ultra HD shampoo
Rinse
Dry
Autoglym super resin polish
Autoglym HD wax

in between was consists of

Snowfoam
Rinse
Shampoo
Rinse
Dry
Autoglym quick detailer

Here's a fact, Silver is a brilliant colour. It hides the dirt really well, needs very little maintenance, and looks great 90% of the time.
The downside to the colour Silver, is it looks just as good after a wash, as it does after several hours of detailing, that's the only reason I cannot own a Silver vehicle, because I like the hours of work results.

If that was mine, i'd use the SRP like you have, yeah some belch on about it being full of fillers, so what, this is a daily driver, not a show vehicle.
Then i'd probably finish with a coat of HD wax to harden up the SRP. That's it. Do that once every few months, and you will always have a van that looks great.... Unless...... You do as you've already done and take it to the local wash monkeys. They will remove all your hard work in a single wash, so all that effort will be pointless.

If however you want to look after it yourself, do as I just mentioned, maintain with Autoglym Shampoo/Conditioner, and use something like Autoglym Rapid detailer in-between.
I would however suggest you use that cloth for what it's designed for (your face) and swap for some nice microfibre cloths. (Costco do the best imo)

There are loads of products available to detail your van, and all claim they are better than the others, but to be fair as a general all purpose, easily available brand, you cannot really go wrong with Autoglym.

Also Worth mentioning that ph neutral shampoos will also not strip wax /sealants etc . So read the bottles of so called wonder shampoos/snofoams etc

Theres plenty of stuff out there that will strip your hard work in a heartbeat.
Listen to the man above :D

my order is as follows

de-bug and tar
Autogylm polar blast snowfoam
Rinse
Ultra HD shampoo
Rinse
Dry
Autoglym super resin polish
Autoglym HD wax

in between was consists of

Snowfoam
Rinse
Shampoo
Rinse
Dry
Autoglym quick detailer

Aswome...

I've just added a clay bar to my arsenal..

Now I need to get some Autoglym HD wax.

Here's a fact, Silver is a brilliant colour. It hides the dirt really well, needs very little maintenance, and looks great 90% of the time.
The downside to the colour Silver, is it looks just as good after a wash, as it does after several hours of detailing, that's the only reason I cannot own a Silver vehicle, because I like the hours of work results.

If that was mine, i'd use the SRP like you have, yeah some belch on about it being full of fillers, so what, this is a daily driver, not a show vehicle.
Then i'd probably finish with a coat of HD wax to harden up the SRP. That's it. Do that once every few months, and you will always have a van that looks great.... Unless...... You do as you've already done and take it to the local wash monkeys. They will remove all your hard work in a single wash, so all that effort will be pointless.

If however you want to look after it yourself, do as I just mentioned, maintain with Autoglym Shampoo/Conditioner, and use something like Autoglym Rapid detailer in-between.
I would however suggest you use that cloth for what it's designed for (your face) and swap for some nice microfibre cloths. (Costco do the best imo)

There are loads of products available to detail your van, and all claim they are better than the others, but to be fair as a general all purpose, easily available brand, you cannot really go wrong with Autoglym.

Great details there..

That's exactly why I have a silver van and silver car.... it looks good even when dirty...I'm a bit lazy when it comes to washing them.

I'll get some Autoglym HD wax as suhested and try that too.

I didn't realise that the wash monkeys would strip the wax off the paintwork....but thinking back on it now it makes sense... the white streaks and dry to the touch non wax feel after.

Maybe I'll jetwash and 2x bucket myself next time.

The white cloths were from Costco as car polishing cloths....but I'll swap them out for microfiber as suhested.

I'll look into that shampoo too.

=)

two bucket method and never let anyone else wash it unless they are professional detailer

I'm gonna get two buckets today. Halfords are doing the big yellow ones with the grit guard mesh spider thing in at the bottom.

And you get 10% off with an AA card too.

I'm gonna get two buckets today. Halfords are doing the big yellow ones with the grit guard mesh spider thing in at the bottom.

And you get 10% off with an AA card too.

As dear as those buckets end up being, you do at the end see how they have done their job.

Aswome...

I've just added a clay bar to my arsenal..

Now I need to get some Autoglym HD wax.

You’ll wonder how you ever lived without claybar :thumbsup:

Here we go then, I've joined the club and got the proper kit...... had to sell a kidney though....!!

(Mr Halfords was very happy . . . but 10% off with AA card so only had to sell one kidney instead of two)

20180710_212219.jpg

went for the HD WAX as recomended . . . pricey!!!! and some bug and tar remover for the tree sap and a squeegee.

20180710_212223.jpg

went for some PH neutral shampoo, oh the clay bar from the other daY......

20180710_212229.jpg

Then to keep @Tourershine happy and @Pauly amused I've ditch the white flannel cloths for some microfiber jobbies,...waxing pads. micro cloths and micro wash mits.

20180710_212232.jpg

and not forgetting the "two Bucket method" & Grit gurads . . . .

20180710_212244.jpg

hopefully thats the lot . . . . . . . .

Here we go then, I've joined the club and got the proper kit...... had to sell a kidney though....!!

(Mr Halfords was very happy . . . but 10% off with AA card so only had to sell one kidney instead of two)

View attachment 25302

went for the HD WAX as recomended . . . pricey!!!! and some bug and tar remover for the tree sap and a squeegee.

View attachment 25303

went for some PH neutral shampoo, oh the clay bar from the other daY......

View attachment 25304

Then to keep @Tourershine happy and @Pauly amused I've ditch the white flannel cloths for some microfiber jobbies,...waxing pads. micro cloths and micro wash mits.

View attachment 25305

and not forgetting the "two Bucket method" & Grit gurads . . . .

View attachment 25306

hopefully thats the lot . . . . . . . .
Nice haul ! Thatl keep you busy , and the car looking sweet.
Now you just need some fallout remover:thumbsup:
Dont worry , its only money :laugh:

Back