Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

Some years ago I bought a cheap snow foam lance and at first I was delighted with it, but over time it seemed less impressive. I hadn't noticed any significance, but at around the same time I started to use Autoglym Polar Blast, Wash and Seal.
Anyway I purchased a new snow foam attachment and all was well in the world, but only for a while, when the foam became for less foamy and more of a dribble.
I then purchased the Autoglym foam lance. After a year the same happened.

On doing some research I've found that the foam is created when the water / product / air mixture passes under pressure through a steel gauze at the end of the lance.
The gauzes on all of my three lances were totally solid and clogged, I suspect it is the Polar Seal that does this.

I've soaked them for 24 hours in Isopropyl alcohol and now I have three fully functional snow foam lances. I shall keep one each marked for each product and will run hot clean water through them after each use in future.

I use a separate 'lance' for Polar Seal. In fact it's the basic one that came with the K4. You don't need a foaming lance for it.

You need a cordless polisher lol
It needs a full correction tbh, not something I'd want to take on myself.

And a full decontamination, de tar, clay bar etc beforehand.

I need to get some quotes for a full correction and ceramic coating, but finishing my interior build, and upgrading my electrics, and changing the wheels and tyres will need to priority before the paintwork unfortunately!

Reactions: CAB
It needs a full correction tbh, not something I'd want to take on myself.

And a full decontamination, de tar, clay bar etc beforehand.

I need to get some quotes for a full correction and ceramic coating, but finishing my interior build, and upgrading my electrics, and changing the wheels and tyres will need to priority before the paintwork unfortunately!
Hi, I can recommend a good ceramic coater when you are ready. We had our Bentley done with the 5 year one and was so impressed just had the Van done today with the 2 year one. Depends where you are obviously I’m in South Yorkshire.

IMG_2568.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2571.jpeg

I'm fairly new to this snow foam stuff but last year I bought a 5L bottle of Bilt Hamber Toch-Less snow foam and am now down just a bit more than one more application. A quick Google seems to say that you can't buy the 5L bottles (at least for the time being) and it starts getting a bit dear buying 1L bottles. Another Google reckoned that the Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam was only slightly behind the Touch-Less but that Autoglym Polar Blast was also pretty close (and cheaper) do I've ordered a bottle of the latter which should be delivered by Amazon later today. We will have to see how it compares but I've got to say that I'm very impressed with the Touch-Less. I don't think my Q5 hasn't been cleaned since last October (maybe before that) and was very dirty - indeed it was difficult to tell what colour the wheels actually were but after a dowsing in Touch-Less yesterday it looked almost good enough to leave it be (at least while out was still wet).

@Linoleum Bonypart. Better or not, it will have to wait until I've used the remaining Touch-Less and the 2.5L of Autoglym before I buy it. That said, at the rate that I clean cars, it might be some time. Also, at £10 per litre, the BH stuff is getting a bit much for my tight aris but I'll probably at least give it a go. If I was like some on here who seem to clean their vehicles every week, I wouldn't go anywhere near it though.

Last edited:
Bilt Hamber Touch-less and Touch-On has taken over from previous go to of Autoglym Arctic Blast and Arctic Seal. Both do an excellent job of deep cleaning and finishing to a super nice streak free shine. Makes cleaning 1-2 wks (circa 500-1500 dirty miles) later a breeze.

If I was like some on here who seem to clean their vehicles every week, I wouldn't go anywhere near it though.
Makes cleaning 1-2 wks (circa 500-1500 dirty miles) later a breeze.
That's what I mean. I'm retired but still too busy for that sort of nonsense with my Q5. The van doesn't do so many miles on a daily basis so only tends to get cleaned after long trips. Maybe I'm just a lazy git.

That's what I mean. I'm retired but still too busy for that sort of nonsense with my Q5. The van doesn't do so many miles on a daily basis so only tends to get cleaned after long trips. Maybe I'm just a lazy git.
After a busy week I find cleaning and fettling my vehicles very thereopeutic. My neighbours think I’m nuts. But I’m far happier when I can see clean toys. Good cleaning products makes the tasks far easier. It’s easier to keep a regularly cleaned vehicle clean. The crap doesn’t build up and take twice as long to clean. My OCD is kept in balance.

After a busy week I find cleaning and fettling my vehicles very thereopeutic. My neighbours think I’m nuts. But I’m far happier when I can see clean toys. Good cleaning products makes the tasks far easier. It’s easier to keep a regularly cleaned vehicle clean. The crap doesn’t build up and take twice as long to clean. My OCD is kept in balance.
It really helps starting with a clean van tbh. And by that I mean one that's been decontaminated, detarred, clayed etc regularly - and if it's been ceramic coated, even better.

My black t6 was covered in tar spots, iron, and just general muck and it takes HOURS to do just a simple wash!!

Last edited:
Back