Warning ! Window fell out on T6 !!!!!!!!

Thanks all.

I certainly will report it - the more I think about it, the more horrified I am about what happened.

Strangely I have never seen any visible signs of water penetration through the windows, but the level of corrosion indicates constant moisture inside the mechanism. The equivalent mechanism on the other side seems rock solid currently, but I will of course push for replacement of this too.

I'm not by the coast although the original owner was - although we're not too far and of course the climate is still very... wet.

I will report back in this thread to update with response from VW UK / dealership / DVSA.

Thanks all.

I certainly will report it - the more I think about it, the more horrified I am about what happened.

Strangely I have never seen any visible signs of water penetration through the windows, but the level of corrosion indicates constant moisture inside the mechanism. The equivalent mechanism on the other side seems rock solid currently, but I will of course push for replacement of this too.

I'm not by the coast although the original owner was - although we're not too far and of course the climate is still very... wet.

I will report back in this thread to update with response from VW UK / dealership / DVSA.
If being in a wet climate was the only determinant, there wouldn't be a Transporter left in Manchester with a sliding window.:fast rofl:

As an interim update, I reported the incident last night to VW and the DVSA and this morning received a call from someone on the safety team at VW. They were very reassuring and appear to be taking the issue extremely seriously. The plan is to book the vehicle in at a local VW centre for a safety inspection so the cause can be investigated further in the hope of preventing it from happening to others.

I will update this thread further after that, but I am impressed with the response from VW so far.

As an interim update, I reported the incident last night to VW and the DVSA and this morning received a call from someone on the safety team at VW. They were very reassuring and appear to be taking the issue extremely seriously. The plan is to book the vehicle in at a local VW centre for a safety inspection so the cause can be investigated further in the hope of preventing it from happening to others.

I will update this thread further after that, but I am impressed with the response from VW so far.
It's great that VW are viewing this as a serious issue - they should because it is - but I'd like the DVSA to compel VW to recall, check and potentially remediate all Transporters that have a sliding window. This would cost VW a fortune, but, perhaps, next time a design flaw is uncovered they might actually resolve it rather than ignoring it for decades.

I am yet to hear back from the DVSA although I did submit a rather thorough and frank report last night. I absolutely agree with what you said - the more time goes by the more I realise this could have been catastrophic, and could be for others, and I suppose as time passes more of these windows are likely to corrode and fail. I certainly won't be driving with my kids in the back until both sliders are examined and replaced.

For anyone else with these windows, please do examine the mechanism. It looks as if the support bar only needs to loosen slightly before there's nothing substantial holding the window in place. It's shocking to see how poorly these are affixed.

I am yet to hear back from the DVSA although I did submit a rather thorough and frank report last night. I absolutely agree with what you said - the more time goes by the more I realise this could have been catastrophic, and could be for others, and I suppose as time passes more of these windows are likely to corrode and fail. I certainly won't be driving with my kids in the back until both sliders are examined and replaced.

For anyone else with these windows, please do examine the mechanism. It looks as if the support bar only needs to loosen slightly before there's nothing substantial holding the window in place. It's shocking to see how poorly these are affixed.
As you say lowpitch - the bottom slider rail only has to drop a few mm for the locator pin to disengage from it's hole and the window to drop out. Roundabouts are where the vehicle lurches from side to side which as you found out can send the window in at force. As Bav alluded to this is simply not good enough and something that VW were aware of years ago but never acted. How long before someone is seriously hurt ?

Is there any easy way to inspect for corrosion. I appear not to be suffering with leaking side windows on my 2015 kombi. So I don't want to go messing about pulling apart and cause more issues other than necessary. "if it ain't broke, don't go fixin" . But I do prefer prevention than cure.

I have found a lot of corrosion on the sliding window behind the seal so it really make me wonder if corrosion is happening behind the sliding mechanism that I cannot see. As others have said I think VW should be forced to investigate wherever a leak is present. They have currently declined a warranty replacement for mine that is leaking badly and has corrosion. I am looking at replacing it at my own cost with a fixed unit.

I have found a lot of corrosion on the sliding window behind the seal so it really make me wonder if corrosion is happening behind the sliding mechanism that I cannot see. As others have said I think VW should be forced to investigate wherever a leak is present. They have currently declined a warranty replacement for mine that is leaking badly and has corrosion. I am looking at replacing it at my own cost with a fixed unit.
Higgidav - the bottom slider rail is only bonded - yes bonded - to the non slider piece of glass [ ie. the larger piece ] This has a metal stip along it which is the metal that blows up and fails so easily. If you push downwards gently on the bottom slider rail you can check for movement. I have heard of owners doing this and the rail just falls - which although not good at least it saves it happening whilst in transit and the danger it poses.

Hi lowpitch, I have just had the same issue, I closed the sliding door and the window fell out. It is now held in with the majic of duct tape.

Who did you report it to in VW? Is there a UK commercial vehicle email address or reporting line you can share?

Many thanks in advance.

• Sad
Reactions: Bav
The world’s platform for change It's a miracle no one has ever been hurt by these shoddy windows and I'm glad to hear your wife is safe and sound, but for how much these vans cost, and they are not cheap it's a disgrace that VW have been able to get away with this for so long maybe we should raise a petition and get these cowboys to recall all their vans and replace the windows with something that is fit for purpose. I also had a similar thing the window rotted out and I noticed it was wonky as I tried to push it it just popped out that was on a 2011 T5 I used to own so it's been going on far to long. SORT YOUR S**T OUT VW.

widow.jpg

The world’s platform for change It's a miracle no one has ever been hurt by these shoddy windows and I'm glad to hear your wife is safe and sound, but for how much these vans cost, and they are not cheap it's a disgrace that VW have been able to get away with this for so long maybe we should raise a petition and get these cowboys to recall all their vans and replace the windows with something that is fit for purpose. I also had a similar thing the window rotted out and I noticed it was wonky as I tried to push it it just popped out that was on a 2011 T5 I used to own so it's been going on far to long. SORT YOUR S**T OUT VW.

View attachment 209699
It is scandalous that VW have been fully aware of this issue for years and done nothing to rectify it at production point.

Reactions: Bav
Extract from letter received last week from DVSA after a complaint that I submitted the week before.

“DVSA has investigated similar cases in relation to your concern, with the assistance of the manufacturer, and currently the evidence available does not support action under the Code. However, this remains under constant review.

Previous investigations concluded that symptoms develop over an extended period, which allow for the overall concern to be identified and repaired before a complete failure of the window can occur.”

Extract from letter received last week from DVSA after a complaint that I submitted the week before.

“DVSA has investigated similar cases in relation to your concern, with the assistance of the manufacturer, and currently the evidence available does not support action under the Code. However, this remains under constant review.

Previous investigations concluded that symptoms develop over an extended period, which allow for the overall concern to be identified and repaired before a complete failure of the window can occur.”
A large organisation like VW will be fully aware of the common failures of it’s vehicles and the most cost effective way to stay within each countries regulatory bodies guidance.

'symptoms develop over an extended period'....hmmm...My window like many others leaked before it was ever opened and within 1 month of purchase brand new - which would indicate the start point of the corrosion. I was fobbed off with 'drainholes' etc. until eventually failure. Totally unacceptable on any new vehicle especially ones that require you sitting down and in brace position when they reveal the cost price :(

Absolutely agree. Mine went back a couple of weeks after purchase and they said they could not replicate the issue despite me having evidence of leaks. Roll on a few years and my window has rusted and now they say the warranty won’t cover it so that’s £1100 please. Needless to say I’m not paying VW any more money and I’m replacing it with a fixed window. After my next service in November which is already paid for I will only be going to trusted independent’s.

They’ll do that when people stop paying in advance for a new van that they won’t receive for another 12 months plus.
Eh?! If that were true, how come VW were producing leaky windows long before the delivery delays were a thing?

Also, it's not a good look for a Transporter owner to be castigating others for wanting to own a Transporter.

Back