Warning ! Window fell out on T6 !!!!!!!!

Leaky windows

T6 Pro
I know that the leaky T6 side slider windows have been discussed many times but just wanted to make members aware that this can have serious consequences . My T6 2016 had a leaky passenger side rear slider from new . I took it back to the dealership who stated that the 'drain holes' get blocked and a 'paperclip could clear them' . Anyway I did this but never opened the window again although it still leaked . Fast forward to now and I took a right turn at a roundabout this afternoon and the whole side slider window completely fell out narrowly missing my wife who was fortunately sitting in the middle rear seat [ daughter in front ] Went straight to local VW dealership from where purchased and made them aware . They were just closing so they have arranged for an inspection tomorrow Friday . After a good look myself you can see that the whole bottom slider rail rusts from behind then drops which causes the slider window to fall out . Obviously this is a very severe issue with potentially catastrophic consequences ie. they are VERY HEAVY units and could probably kill an adult if at speed let alone a baby / child being carried in the back which does not bear thinking about . Thought I should let other T6 owners be aware of this as it could be that a few years down the line this happens to you . We will be contacting VW UK promptly to make them aware of this potentially lethal safety issue and will report back .

IMG_3617.jpg

Last edited:
OMG, firstly thankfully your wife is safe and sound.

If I were In your shoes I would light up the dealership with how disgusted you are with the total lack of quality and aftercare, so much so that the person you are barking at offers everything under the sun the calm you down. I am saying this out of experience when I had a major meltdown with my brand new Q5 becoming a paperweight. Safe to say you will be compensated handsomely and some.

It’s bloody disgusting and downright shoddy build and poor form from VW.

Go get em @Leaky windows

Last edited:
Thanks Texxaco - the wife was very fortunate not to have been seriously injured . Looks like this is a potential disaster waiting to happen what with all those leaking slider windows . It is possibly the endgame for the leaky sliders with all the corrosion hidden until it's too late . VW surely have to do a recall before someone is fatally injured .

Good grief that's awful, most important thing is no one was hurt. As well as a safety issue this must also be a security concern?
Makes me want to replace mine with aftermarkets.

I am glad no one was hurt and can understand your annoyance.

My T6 2016 had a leaky passenger side rear slider from new . I took it back to the dealership who stated that the 'drain holes' get blocked and a 'paperclip could clear them' . Anyway I did this but never opened the window again although it still leaked .

You are absolutely right but beware of poking anything into the drains as it's easy to un-attach the two parts of the drain channel.
It's perhaps a pity if you had the OEM windows available to you before fitting that you didn't look underneath the lower slide and run a bead of adhesive around the join in the drain plastic.
Maybe following the advice inadvertently did this and contributed to your problem. Poor design either way.

I am glad no one was hurt and can understand your annoyance.

Maybe following the advice inadvertently did this and contributed to your problem. Poor design either way.
Thank you Skyliner33 it was a blessing that my wife was in the middle back seat or it could have been catastrophic . It was the dealership that originally poked the holes with a paperclip in the first place and suggested this as a fix ! If this is the eventual outcome of the leaking problem then this is a serious safety issue and should be a recall . The bottom slider rails are bonded straight on to the glass [ !!! ] and have a metal content hence the corrosion and fail !

Good grief that's awful, most important thing is no one was hurt. As well as a safety issue this must also be a security concern?
Makes me want to replace mine with aftermarkets.
It 100% is a serious safety issue tintim - think of those 1000's of T6's out there with leaking windows with potentially lethal side slider windows . I want the 1 piece glass fitted but until I have had the warranty advisor look at it next week cannot do anything because of legal advice .

I might be talking out of my backside here, but isn't there somewhere (other than VW) that you can report vehicle safety issues to? I'm thinking of a statutory body that can insist VW investigate and, if necessary, issue a recall. Given how much red-tape and H&S legislation we have in the UK, you'd think there would be a body that had this responsibility within their remit. (Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?)

I might be talking out of my backside here, but isn't there somewhere (other than VW) that you can report vehicle safety issues to? I'm thinking of a statutory body that can insist VW investigate and, if necessary, issue a recall. Given how much red-tape and H&S legislation we have in the UK, you'd think there would be a body that had this responsibility within their remit. (Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?)
Just googled "where to report vehicle defects uk"

And got this back:
"If you find a serious defect that affects the safety of your vehicle, one of its parts, or an accessory, report it to the manufacturer immediately. Tell the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency ( DVSA ) if you're not happy with how the manufacturer is dealing with your report."

Just googled "where to report vehicle defects uk"

And got this back:
"If you find a serious defect that affects the safety of your vehicle, one of its parts, or an accessory, report it to the manufacturer immediately. Tell the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency ( DVSA ) if you're not happy with how the manufacturer is dealing with your report."
That's exactly what I have done this morning Bav ie. made VW UK fully aware of this serious safety issue and await their reply .

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found that there's a lot of water under, and maybe in, your 'spongey' floor mat, causing corrosion of the floor. I only noticed when I stripped it out for conversion.

The state of this ! That's the back of the bottom slider rail and completely corroded . You won't be seeing this until it's too late and the window falls out as obviously hidden until it fails .
IMG_3620.jpg

That's exactly what I have done this morning Bav ie. made VW UK fully aware of this serious safety issue and await their reply .
Sadly, I wouldn't hold your breath, but do keep everyone updated on progress.

Would be karma of the highest order though, if VW were forced to recall all transporters going back as far as, say, the T25. The costs for them would dwarf the fine they received for their emissions debacle!

Sadly, I wouldn't hold your breath, but do keep everyone updated on progress.

Would be karma of the highest order though, if VW were forced to recall all transporters going back as far as, say, the T25. The costs for them would dwarf the fine they received for their emissions debacle!
Would be unbelievable negligence on VW's part if they do not act on this what with the serious potential danger to life .

Reactions: Bav
Hmmm makes me nervous of my factory Kombi windows now especially as its hidden defect! Thanks for sharing watching this thread with keen interest. Have you got a photo of the inside window frame where the section has come off at all please?

Hmmm makes me nervous of my factory Kombi windows now especially as its hidden defect! Thanks for sharing watching this thread with keen interest. Have you got a photo of the inside window frame where the section has come off at all please?
As requested below David . As you know the slider rail is made of plastic but VW have riveted a strip of metal the whole length of the back . This is then bonded [ !! ] straight to the glass . There are 3 plastic 'supports' as well . In the picture below what you can see is the bonding gel on the glass with pieces of the corroded metal embedded in it . Once the slider corrosion gets to the point of no return it will sag / drop and the window will fall out .

IMG_6266.jpg

That’s quite incredible.
Maybe a batch of sliding frames have this is issue? At this point otherwise all the T5 would have had the same issue. Never seen or read anything about this huge problem.

That’s quite incredible.
Maybe a batch of sliding frames have this is issue? At this point otherwise all the T5 would have had the same issue. Never seen or read anything about this huge problem.
It's probably Crazymind because 100% of posts relate to just the windows leaking and have not reached the end point which is failure of the bonding because of corrosion which in turn allows the window to fall out . It only affects the sliding frames and is hidden until it's too late .

I'm tempted put some supports underneath the bottom rail on mine to so if the metal corroded and came apart the section couldn't 'drop out'. These windows really are a bag of ****

Back